Crazy Ex-Girlfriend

Did anybody else watch this?

I thought it was totally fun. I like the sensibility of it and the sense of humor. It was light and sweet, but it was also a little surprising in some of the jokes they made. It had good balance. The songs are funny and well done (and I loved the way the joke with the rapper guy paid off). I was really pleasantly surprised, and if it maintains it has totally become a part of my rotation.

Comments

• ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    It's on the box for me. Was well written about...I'll get to it this week at some point.
    Travis
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    What is it about?  Like, the elevator pitch?  Based on the title, it doesn't seem to be something I'd enjoy, but you never know...
    I read it was a musical series that was actually GOOD. Cop Rock be damned, I'll at least watch the pilot.
    Travis
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited October 2015

First thing that caught me before I watched it was that my wife told me that the woman who created it was a writer for Robot Chicken which I found intriguing. It also intrigued me that I heard that Showtime almost picked it up before it landed on the CW.

Basically, the elevator pitch isn't going to help. High powered (and upwardly mobile) NY lawyer runs into an ex-summer camp boyfriend who is just about to move back to West Covina, CA (which you've probably never heard of for a reason) so decides that in a "totally unrelated" decision, she wants to move there too. It's also a musical (but in a good way. (it should be noted that I do like musicals when they are quirky and funny)).

I guess the thing is the writing is good. I'm a sucker for goofy shows with a lot of heart and this looks like it has the makings to have a really solid ratio in that respect. It's clever and it actually picks moments to be kind of crass (surprising for the CW). I guess, I was intrigued but didn't expect a ton and ended up really enjoying it. Definitely not for everybody, but I think it's worth a look.

CORRECTION: Rachel Bloom, the star of the show was a writer/performer on Robot Chicken and she is also listed as a writer on the show, but she is not the creator. I think she is heavily involved in the creative process though.

ksa1001
  • ksa1001 said:

I read it was a musical series that was actually GOOD. Cop Rock be damned, I'll at least watch the pilot.

I was really pleasantly surprised by the songs. They both had solid funny moments.
  • Haven't seen it.  Never even heard of it.  Honestly, I came here hoping for a real story about a crazy ex-girlfriend.
    HatorianFreddyUnderwoodryanfosterTravisCoryksa1001Cecily
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited October 2015
    Head over to the Rogan Board, Jim. That's at least half of the threads there (fyi, the other half are about drugs, conspiracy theories, and UFC).
    Finally saw the pilot.

Really liked it. I can tell it was originally being developed for Showtime. Nice and edgy. I like the star, she has a unique look and good voice. I will continuing.

PS: The spray of blood onto the tub both horrified and cracked me the hell up.
    Travis
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I was with A. Ron, the title was a turn-off. This is actually pretty good. I like that its an hour-long show and not a 30 minute sit-com. It allows for real plot and character development. Comedy is always so subjective, so I can't recommend it for everyone. I still am not a fan of the title, but the show is worth a look.
    Travis
  • Yeah, I think it won't be long until the show start to want to distance themselves from the name too (assuming the ratings are strong enough for the show to last). The Cougar Town dilemma is strong with this show.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I've been watching, because damn if I don't love a musical, but even though I find it entertaining, there's something so icky about the premise. This girl is such a creepy stalker and I don't know how I feel about that being played for laughs. She's actively trying to break up Josh's long term relationship, and she treats his friend - who genuinely likes her - terribly.

I struggle a bit to put aside my principles when I watch this show.
    Travis
  • I totally get that, and in the second episode (I haven't seen past that yet, too much good stuff and I've been really busy lately) I did start to feel a little bit of that too. It's not strong enough to really make me think about stopping at this point because I really like the point of view of the humor and really everything else about the plot beyond the main plot, but I definitely get it. That's kind of why I'm rooting for them (much like Cougar Town actually) to find a new purpose. I think that even beyond the discomfort of the whole thing, that they're going to run out of track pretty quickly if they don't change their focus somewhere in the near future. I am excited to get caught up though. I do really like their style.
    Dee
  • This has been upgraded to night-of watching for me (big deal as i'm sure we watch like 20-30 shows).

It cracks me up, and it occured to me during a recent episode that she's basically the main character from Last Man On Earth. 

Both shows play the title characters' self-centered personality for awkward pauses and cringe worthy moments.
    Travis
  • MichelleMichelle California
    I saw this as a segment on The People's Couch as one of the shows they watched.  It looked like it might be funny, but honestly I could do without the musical numbers.   That's a big part of why I never watched Glee (well, that and the fact that I am so not into high school/teenage/CW channel-type shows).  Don't think I'll be watching it.
  • @Michelle I couldn't care less about musicals, but this is more in the vein of comical you tube videos (epic rap battles come to mind) not actual singing, per se. Give the pilot a shot.
    Travis
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited November 2015
    ksa1001 said:

@Michelle I couldn't care less about musicals, but this is more in the vein of comical you tube videos (epic rap battles come to mind) not actual singing, per se. Give the pilot a shot.

Cosign on the recommendation. I am not surprised that a lot of people would have the same reaction that A.Ron and Garthgou81 had to it. It's a bad title and it seems like it was really poorly branded. I was just going to pass myself, but my wife saw an interview with the lead actress on the news that sparked her interest. I didn't watch more than maybe an episode of Glee so maybe I missed something, but as far as the music goes it's nothing at all like that. Like KSA said, it's more like Lonely Island style comedy musical bits than Glee style. It still may do nothing for you, it's certainly not for everybody, but it really is worth sampling. I was really, really surprised at how much I enjoyed the pilot particularly.
  • MichelleMichelle California
    It still doesn't sound like anything I'd be interested in.  I appreciate the recommendation though.  :)

Travis
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Is anyone still watching this show? Holy moly, season 3 is dark. :-/
  • Yeah, I watch with my wife.  I was not expecting this show to go the way it has in season 2 and 3.  I am not caught up with this week though. 
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Doctor_Nick I was iffy about it early on but it really grew on me when I finally realised they weren’t just taking the piss out of mental illness. It’s one of my favourite shows now. And some of the songs are amazing. 
  • Love this show!  The music is great, and there's a lot of really great characters.  I agree this season has been super dark, but it's awesome that a CW show isn't afraid to go there.
    Dee
  • Yeah, some of the song numbers are just amazing. And they’re really going in on the Rebecca Bunch character. I wonder how many seasons there can possible be, though. 
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I really loved season 1 of this show, but at some point, it stopped getting released on Hulu, and I fell off. I am actually really loving to hear that it went down a darker route. It was a bit too poppy in its first season. Dang. I need to catch up. I am very glad this show got a couple more seasons. 
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Yeah, some of the song numbers are just amazing. And they’re really going in on the Rebecca Bunch character. I wonder how many seasons there can possible be, though. 
    I think I read somewhere she had a four season plan. 
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I really loved season 1 of this show, but at some point, it stopped getting released on Hulu, and I fell off. I am actually really loving to hear that it went down a darker route. It was a bit too poppy in its first season. Dang. I need to catch up. I am very glad this show got a couple more seasons. 
    Oh heck yeah, get back on. 
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    My favourite song so far

https://youtu.be/-TQmo5TvZQY
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    I stopped watching mid-S2 because Rebecca's mental illness and resulting destructive behavior were too hard to watch. However, I love Rachel Bloom and think that the show is important and a tremendous achievement. I wonder if I could get back into it now.
    Dee
  • I’m caught up. I wonder where they’re going to go with Rebecca and emotional dependency. 
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @pavlovsbell S3 has been really good but if you struggled to watch S2 you might find it hard - it’s way darker than the previous two seasons. 
    pavlovsbell
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    @Dee  Good to know. I'm struggling to find shows that are really good but also fun right now. The A Word surprised me by being really funny this week. I struggled a bit with the first season, which was a little too intense and conflict-heavy for me at times, but the second season has lightened up quite a bit.
    Dee