Godfather versus Goodfellas

TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
What say you? Godfather came out before Goodfellas and you would say paved the way for "mob movies" BUT Goodfellas is not really a movie it's a true story.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/09/11/question-everything?sr_source=lift_facebook

Comments

• For me it's not a question.  Godfather all the way.
    TaraC73pavlovsbell
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    I agree. Godfather is my #2 movie (jaws is #1) and it's just perfect in every way. Goodfellas is a top 10 movie, still shaped by the Godfather that came out 20 (??) years before it.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Yeah, Data thought about joining the Borg Queen longer than I thought about this one.  Godfather.  Kind of like Michael Jordan is better than LeBron James, without taking anything away from LeBron.  Goodfellas is amazing, but it's not the Godfather.
  • I prefer Goodfellas
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    Godfather, no doubt.  Now, Godfather or Godfather, Part II?  That's an interesting debate.
    Eric1stOfHisNameRaiyne
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Ahh, the Godfather vs. Goodfellas question. Or as I like to call it: Duck à l'Orange vs. Chicken Fried Steak

No clear answer, but one is definitely more refined.
    A_Ron_HubbardXanderYub
  • definitely Goodfellas.   I acknowledge Godfather as a great film but it never appealed to me the same way that it appeals to most other folks.
  • Goodfellas is a movie that's easily rewatchable because it's a "fun" movie, whilst TheGodfather is a god dam masterpiece that needs to be watched by any movie buff. Difficult pick but for me it's Godfather 2, wait...what was the question?
    TaraC73
  • It's an invalid comparison to me, like asking which is better between Alien and Aliens; just because they're in the same wheelhouse doesn't make them the same genre. The Godfather is a family drama about a crime family while Goodfellas is a biopic about a mobster, I just don't see how it's appropriate to compare them. 
    Raiynesteph_bFrakkin TTaraC73AmbitiousBukky
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    agreed @ghm3 They are vastly different in tone and theme. You can say which one you enjoy more but that's about all you can say. 
    Raiynesteph_bTaraC73AmbitiousBukky
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Well, I hate The Godfather (come at me, bros) and I love Goodfellas so...
    Raiynesteph_bTaraC73
  • edited October 2015
    Since its been mentioned that this is a question of preference rather than merit within a genre, The Godfather 2 is better than both The Godfather and Goodfellas but not better than Alien. I'm undecided about Aliens place in the pecking order ;-)
    I almost started a Aliens v Terminator 2 thread a few days ago, but I decided it was a draw.
    TaraC73
    edited October 2015
    Dee, Dee, what has the movie ever done to make you treat The Godfather so disrespectfully?  If you had come to the movie in friendship, the scum who ruin your forum threads would be suffering this very day.  And if, by some chance an honest tv fan such as yourself made enemies... then they would be Godfather fans' enemies.  And then, they would fear you.
    Frakkin THatorianFreddyDeeFlashGordonTaraC73
  • No love for a Bronx Tale?
    Freddysteph_bFrakkin T
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    @Hatorian Ewww.... Gross.

Just kidding, that movie has it's place. Flawed in a lot of ways, but some really great scenes and lines. The reversing all the way from his house to his bar scene comes to mind. And the street knowledge Palminteri's character spits is 48 Laws of Power caliber.
    Hatorian
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @A_Ron_Hubbard I see what you did there...
    Frakkin T
  • @Freddy

Not that RT is the gold standard be all end all but Brlnx tale has same score has Goodfellas. I would put it up against Goodfellas with no problems. I think Goodfellas and A Bronx Tale have more in common than Godfsther and Goodfellas.
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    Hatorian said:

No love for a Bronx Tale?

2 things about that movie that I will never forget: 

1. Chazz Palminteri's advice about women: "You're only allowed three great women in your lifetime. They come along like the great fighters, every ten years."

2. "Now yous can't leave"

Sadly most of the rest of that movie isn't very good and doesn't hold up. I do think it's more similar to Goodfellas than to Godfather. Bronx Tale and Goodfellas are both street-level movies, but Goodfellas is way beyond Bronx Tale in just about every category.
    Hatorian
    Godfather II is better than Godfather. But I prefer to watch the Godfather Saga. Too bad petty bs fighting makes it impossible to find (literally, anywhere!)
  • Godfather all the way!
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    TaraC73 said:

Godfather II is better than Godfather. But I prefer to watch the Godfather Saga. Too bad petty bs fighting makes it impossible to find (literally, anywhere!)

The Godfather Saga was actually how I originally saw both movies. It was a lot to take in all at once. I'd have to give it a look to see if I preferred that version. My initial take is that I wouldn't, but who knows.
    TaraC73
    I was actually thinking of watching the Saga edition as a way to prep for the Godfather III podcast we're doing over the Xmas break.  I've seen it 2 or 3 times, and remember preferring the original, non woven story telling, but the Saga edition does have the charm of essentially being a slightly abridged version of the book.  Right off hand the only thing I can remember it omitting is the details of Sonny's mistress adventures in Vegas after he died, but I found most of that puzzling anyway.
    TaraC73
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I looked at wikipedia and it has a listing of all the changes. It looks like a decent amount of scenes were added--not sure how many are all that important. I really like the idea of integrating both movies into one huge monster. But, I just remember being very confused and overwhelmed. There is alot going on in both movies and a lot of characters who they don't really bother to go out of their way to identify. It just left me a bit befuddled. Knowing the whole story now, I'd like to go back and rewatch it to see how it plays on my devirginized eyes.
    TaraC73
    That's the thing -- knowing the whole story now the saga makes more sense... I really like the whole linear storyline though. I remember renting it from a video store it was three bus tapes. It was my first exposure to the Godfather too, I really enjoy it. I read the book years ago I should pull it out again.