Black Mirror

Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
edited October 2015 in Other TV
I gave it a search, but couldn't find anther thread covering this show...I finally got around to binging the only two seasons and Christmas Special of Black Mirror. Holy shit, what a fantastic UK horror/anthology show. As with most anthologies some
stories strike a stronger chord than others. But in general they are all
pretty strong with a couple that particularly stand out. I understand
Netflix is producing a third season of this. I really can't wait. The
production value and story telling are awesome. A few episodes
definitely veer towards the mean-spirited end of things. But this whole
series is so bleak that it never seems unwarranted. Check this out. Its
on Netflix, but strangely I had to go through other methods for the
Christmas Special
April_May_June

Comments

• Black Mirror is amazing! I loved each episode!
    I was only able to find the episodes that Netflix had. Not sure why they don't have the Christmas episode. I looked other places, but couldn't find it. As long as it doesn't break the rules, do you mind telling me where you found that episode?
    ChuckKelly
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Its available through Youtube if nothing else. I don't want to go breaking any rules, but there are other options as well. It also seems to be available as an import, but that seems to be a bit expensive.
    April_May_JuneElisa
  • I love this show. Some of those episodes really got to me, especially the cruelty in White Bear and the Christmas special.

Charlie Brooker made another show called Dead Set about a Big Brother type show during a zombie outbreak that's pretty good. All the episodes are on Youtube.
    edited October 2015
    God, White Bear may have been my favorite, but it was also the least subtle. That ending goes on for so incredibly long. I'd almost wager too. The climax had a very Requiem for a Dream vibe. I am torn between that and The Entire History of You from the first season.
  • Great show. My favorites are probably "The Entire History of You", "Be Right Back", and "White Bear". "White Bear" is definitely not subtle, but I think it has to kind of bludgeon over the head for the full impact. That one was so hard to take toward the end.

Can't wait unil the Christmas Special gets added to Netflix outside the UK. I've heard it's great.
    Elisa
    Bludgeoning is the right word for those last 15 minutes or so. Its about as subtle as a chainsaw.
  • I love Black Mirror too! My favorites are White Bear and White Christmas. The only one I didn't like much at first is The Waldo Moment, but grew to like it later on. What I love about this series is that I pick up different things every time I watch it!

I wonder what the new episodes will be like now that Netflix produces it...
  • tristantristan Liverpool
    I love Black Mirror and Charlie Brooker in general, his weekly wipe show is also fantastic. I recently started watching Nathan Barley, which is a short comedy series written by Brooker and Chris Morris.
    edited October 2015
    Reni said:

I love Black Mirror too! My favorites are White Bear and White Christmas. The only one I didn't like much at first is The Waldo Moment, but grew to like it later on. What I love about this series is that I pick up different things every time I watch it!

I wonder what the new episodes will be like now that Netflix produces it...

Yeah, The Waldo Moment grew on me a bit, but it wasn't my favorite initially. I never really disliked it, but it wasn't as enthralling or entertaining as the other episodes. Charlie Booker seems to love to put his characters through the wringer.
  • @Garthgou81 Yeah, The Waldo Moment is probably still my least favorite, but I love it nonetheless! I think I'll rewatch the series soon as the last time I saw it was just before the Christmas special came out.
    By the way, did you ever watch Utopia? I discovered these two shows around the same time and so while different, in a weird way one always makes me think of the other. If you haven't seen it you should really check it out!
    edited October 2015
    I have not, I will give it a look. It does look very different. Interestingly enough--according to Amazon, "Customers who bought Utopia also bought Black Mirror"
  • Yeah, I'm not sure why those two always seem to go together. They both feel pretty surreal, I guess, but Utopia is a continuous storyline, not standalone episodes. I thought the second season of it was a bit uneven, but all in all it's a great show. It is also possibly the most visually stunning show I have ever seen on television. It's almost as if you could pause it at any given moment, print it and hang it on your wall. It's absolutely beautifully composed and shot, and the color schemes are really something else.
    Hey all, for those of you waiting for a better version, Netflix added the Christmas Special---Black Mirror : White Christmas. Hopefully that will tide us over until the next season.
    ElisaDaveyMac
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Such a great episode too.  
    DaveyMac
    I love that it packs a good three stories interwoven into that one special. It really gives you a bang for your buck.
    ElisaDaveyMac
  • This thread should float towards the top infinitely until everyone on the forum has seen the show and/or all the episodes have been commissioned. YES ....it really is that good people.

p.s if anyone is down for commissioning these gems with me I started a thread here, ive got $100 on it: http://forums.baldmove.com/discussion/comment/22600#Comment_22600
  • If Netflix getting involved continues to have the effect it does on shows.....looks like Black Mirror is going to be going mainstream very soon when these release!  http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/black-mirror/37096/black-mirror-series-3-12-new-episodes-coming-to-netflix
    Yeah. I keep waiting for Netflix to give a release date for Black Mirror, but they have been pretty tight lipped unfortunately.