503 - "Mommy"

Let's talk about AHS! Episode directed by Bradley Buecker and written by James Wong.
Elisa

Comments

• John_NadaJohn_Nada California
    WTH Bernie Madoff? The Countess is how old? So she never heard of Charlie Ponzi I guess?
    Elisa
    edited October 2015
    Nice tie in with Bassett and the 70's Blacksploitation era. Kind of reminded me of Coffy.
    ElisaNikkiP
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited October 2015
    My heart broke for Iris in that showdown with Donovan.  She truly does love him.
    I can see being embarrassed by certain things as you're growing up and kids are little jerks (like the 'too much fiber' incident), but wow.  He was really really heartless and cruel toward her.  :(

GO Liz Taylor with that gown!  *snap*
    While I'm at it, go Angela Bassett with that...everything!

Is it wrong that I'm not entirely invested with the Jon/Jon's wife/Scarlet/Holden thing?

I want to be the Countess for Halloween.
    Elisa
  • This season is awesome! I'm loving it!
    Elisa
  • UnderwoodUnderwood Philadelphia, PA
    I think that was the best episode yet? The acting in this episode all around was pretty darn good.
    Elisa
  • HeffHeff Connecticut
    I don't understand Jon's wife, at all. She says loves Jon, but serves him divorce papers. She says she doesn't blame him for Holden's disappearance, but she certainly appears to. Their daughter says she saw Holden, and her immediate response is to ask Jon "why are you doing this to me," but how the hell is it his fault?

Don't get me wrong, I think he's done some bad shit, he might have cheated based on current speculation, but I absolutely hate this back and forth, nonsensical plot string so far.

The filter or effects they used for Angela Basset's movie clips were awesome, and I'm curious to see if her character turns out to be good or evil in the end. I'm pretty certain the Countess is evil, but this show has played around with that before, and we might be in for a couple villain showdowns before the end of the season.

Hope we get backstory for Denis oHare soon, I wonder whether he's a ghost/immortal, or just some weird guy who's employed as the bartender.

I'd like to make a fan-official prediction as well. Jon is the Ten Commandments killer, or at least involved in it. I don't have a great explanation for the phone call he got from the TCK, but we already know he loses control/blacks out when he drinks, the Oscar was mailed from his own hotel, he knows a lot about the TCK's MO, and I think it's well within AHS' wheelhouse to have that kind of spin on things.
    ElisaMichelle
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    edited October 2015
    Finally! Something to enjoy! I'm looking forward to a Death Becomes Her style show down between Angela Bassett and Lady Gaga, pitting those two against one another is going to give the series some much needed structure and hopefully we'll get some more interesting insight in to Holden and the other kids if that's who she is going to go after.

As for the rest of the plots, it still just feels like a mish mash of weird disjointed tableaux from the Sarah Paulson/Kathy Bates/Matt Bomer situation to the Ten Commandments killer, kind of interesting in the moment but having no lasting effect.

John_NadaElisa
  • I agree that this episode was the best so far. The acting from both Kathy Bates and Matt Bomer was absolutely flawless, even the part about the bizarre Breatharian cult (which, I found out, is actually a thing that exists).
    I have to admit I find almost no interest at all in the detective storyline (neither the murders nor his family affairs), which seems to be the main one. I enjoy the vampire stuff a lot more.
    Elisa
  • HeffHeff Connecticut
    Reni said:

I agree that this episode was the best so far. The acting from both Kathy Bates and Matt Bomer was absolutely flawless, even the part about the bizarre Breatharian cult (which, I found out, is actually a thing that exists).
    I have to admit I find almost no interest at all in the detective storyline (neither the murders nor his family affairs), which seems to be the main one. I enjoy the vampire stuff a lot more.

They're not VAMPIRES, how can you be so insensitive of Murphy's creative vision!

...Bullshit, they are absolutely vampires.
    Elisa
    amyja89 said:

Finally! Something to enjoy! I'm looking forward to a Death Becomes Her style show down between Angela Bassett and Lady Gaga, pitting those two against one another is going to give the series some much needed structure and hopefully we'll get some more interesting insight in to Holden and the other kids if that's who she is going to go after.

As for the rest of the plots, it still just feels like a mish mash of weird disjointed tableaux from the Sarah Paulson/Kathy Bates/Matt Bomer situation to the Ten Commandments killer, kind of interesting in the moment but having no lasting effect.

You nailed it with your "Death Becomes Her" style showdown comment.  I think this plot line will be about the best the show is going to offer.  Denis O'Hare's Liz Taylor was exceptionally great this episode too!  

The "Seven" style killings, as much as a loved the movie, are not working for me in AHS Hotel and I do not much care for the new Boy Toy either but I assume we will get an ultimate battle of the immortals .
    Elisa
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I love Evan Peters but he just looks so ridiculous in this season - like a kid dressed up in old timey man clothes. They should have cast Finn Wittrock in that role - he can do creepy retro but he actually looks like a grown man.
    duncanpowers
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    Dee said:

I love Evan Peters but he just looks so ridiculous in this season - like a kid dressed up in old timey man clothes. 

Agree 100%, He reminds me of seeing a high-school kid trying to play an old man in the senior play. He affects the character very well but he's not really acting, more just mugging.

Also i wish Angela Bassett had turned out to be a vampire hunter, because I totally would have given her the nickname Foxy Van Helsing.
    hypergenesbduncanpowersElisa
  • Heff said:

They're not VAMPIRES, how can you be so insensitive of Murphy's creative vision!

...Bullshit, they are absolutely vampires.

Wait, what? Did he actually say they're not vampires? I just watch this show casually, I don't like it enough to read about it ha. If this is true that's the stupidest thing I've heard in a while.

Okay, I just googled it and he really said that. They're not vampires because they don't have fangs or capes? Seriously? When was the last time this dude saw a vampire movie, the 70's?
    Elisa
  • HeffHeff Connecticut
    With regards to the dog commercial you mentioned, I believe it was a reference to Neil Rodriguez and his 15 year old dog Poh.

Neil took Poh on a countrywide road trip after discovering that Poh was suffering from kidney failure, and wanted to give Poh a great trip to celebrate his life. It was news in my area earlier in the year, so as soon as you mentioned the commercial I thought you might like a little potential background rather than "they're trying to make us cry!"

Here's a link to his Instagram, if you're interested. https://instagram.com/pohthedogsbigadventure/
    Little show note about Sally being able to leave: Last week I got the impression that she was being kept out of the fashion show, not the entire hotel. This fits with the haunted house rule established in Murder House, where the dead cannot leave the place they are haunting. I am going with the assumption that is true, unless/until we have a scene of Sally outside the hotel.
    NikkiP
  • Frakkin T said:

Little show note about Sally being able to leave: Last week I got the impression that she was being kept out of the fashion show, not the entire hotel. This fits with the haunted house rule established in Murder House, where the dead cannot leave the place they are haunting. I am going with the assumption that is true, unless/until we have a scene of Sally outside the hotel.

I also thought she had not left the hotel and that she was simply trying to go to the fashion show. I agree that the rules Murder House established are at play here. Perhaps we will see that confirmed on the Halloween episode.

Elisa
  • TonyaTonya SC
    edited October 2015
    What do you guys think about this idea? When Jon's wife (Chloe, can I just call her Chloe? I don't know her characters name right now ) was giving her monologue about how she never connected with anyone but Holden, there was a scene where she was snuggling with Holden in bed and Jon was kind of standing over her throwing her some serious shade. This made me think that Jon had something to do with Holden's disappearance. 

After I thought about it, that idea kind of justifies Jon's ridiculous reaction to Scarlet last episode when Scarlet said she saw a Holden at the hotel. Remember he shook her and called her a liar. Very upset. Not the reaction you would expect from a grieving father who thought his son might possibly still be alive somewhere. 

But then that means that Jon is not a reliable narrator. I know other shows are experimenting with that idea but it seems out of place in this show, I think. Except that we know Jon has portrayed himself as an alcoholic and in this episode we also see Chloe tell him that he's not an alcoholic.

So, I'm starting to think Jon is not a reliable narrator and that he actually was jealous of Holden and played some role in his disappearance.
    Elisa
  • JJ_Borden said:

Frakkin T said:

I also thought she had not left the hotel and that she was simply trying to go to the fashion show. I agree that the rules Murder House established are at play here. Perhaps we will see that confirmed on the Halloween episode.

I think you guys are spot on. In this episode Mr March (Evan I-let-my-fiance-beat-me Peters) actually called the hotel his Murder House. I think it was in the scene where he was talking to Finn/Tristan/Dandy.

Elisa
    @Tonya and @JJ_Borden I just remembered that on Murder House Halloween was the one night of the year the dead could leave the house. Remember the maid asked for a day off, and I think Tate went to fuck with some local kids? I wonder who will take a field trip out of the hotel this year?
    JJ_Borden
  • @Cecily ;I love that you guys called out the Dog Bucket List commercial. The first time I saw it, I thought for certain it would end with them pulling up to the vet's office. It's masquerading as a happy commercial when clearly the dog dies soon. Bastards.
    Michelle
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I totally agree that Jon is an unreliable narrator.  Ugh these mommies are frickin the worst lol.  Even Gaga or Angela giving the booby blood was a maternal kinky knockoff.  Really enjoying the entrance of Angela and Liz Taylor was killing it.  Chloe wasn't as annoying this episode and it was good to get more insight on her.  Hell if my husband lost my son, I would have divorced him long, long time ago.  You never recover from something like that.
    Tonya
  • The "Black dont crack" conversation had me rolling. Angela Bassett is 57. Like really, 57. No one else on the show who's that age or older looked that good at 57. I'm all in for her faux Pam Grier film career too.

Since we're always demanding Emmy's and other awards, let me just say she was snubbed for her performance in "What's Love Got to do with It." Sure, it was a biopic, but her and Fishburn did great work in that.

I just stole this concept from another podcast: the anti-vax storyline will connect to the fact that vampirism is a virus on this show, with the doctor trying to cure her kid.
    Deemanhattnikamyja89Elisa
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    OMG I just watched the episode 4 preview and it looks like Jon is sitting at the table along with "the greatest serial killers ever"!  He must be behind all those ten commandment murders! 
  • So, does anyone else think that Angela Bassett is the Ten Commandments Killer?  I can't make all the connections yet, but I can't imagine that having her beloved be named Moses is a coincidence.  This show doesn't exactly traffic in subtle.
    Elisa