The Expanse

I made an account just to say how awesome it would be if Jim and Aron covered the upcoming Syfy series The Expanse.  The book series is great and the book writers are heavily involved with the show, along with the writers of Children of Men, which is one of my favorite movies.  I know it's on Syfy which has a bad history, but all the initial reviews are very positive and it looks like the channel is trying to get back to its roots.  Very solid scifi.  The first book was nominated for a Hugo.   

From wiki: Set in a future where humanity has colonized the Solar System, The Expanse follows police detective Josephus Miller, ship's officer Jim Holden and his crew as they unravel a conspiracy that threatens peace across the System and the survival of humanity.  It is set to premiere on Syfy on December 14, 2015.

It's kinda like Firely but better, IMO. 
DaveyMacDancesWithWookies

Comments

• This sounds great and was not on my radar at all. Thanks! I love Children of Men, too, by the way. Easily one of my favorites.
  • I'll thow in a bit more promo:

"Be sure and catch THE EXPANSE
    premiere. I wish I could. Everything I've seen suggests that it will
    be a terrific show. The books were certainly great. Say hi to Daniel
    and Ty for me."
    -George RR Martin

A couple good reviews:
    http://www.tor.com/2015/10/09/the-expanse-pilot-and-nycc-panel-promise-gritty-space-opera/
    http://www.vox.com/2015/9/17/9343453/fall-tv-supergirl-muppets-2015
    DaveyMac
  • edited November 2015
    Comcast already has the 1st Ep up OnDemand. Just an FYI.

Havent watched it yet
  • The pilot is available on the SyFy web site as well. I was very excited about this show as well, but the execution was a bit disappointing. We'll see if it gets any better. Sure do wish they had hired anyone but Thomas Jane. He's terrible. 
    manhattnik
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    It wasn't perfect.  There were some cliche moments, but for the most part I was intrigued and really thought it has a lot of potential.  I am eagerly awaiting the episode 2.
  • manhattnikmanhattnik the big apple
    Yeah, the whole Blade-Runner-Los-Angeles-in-space thing was a bit much. 
  • First episode on youtube

• ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    There was a bit of Blade Runner, BSG, Total Recall and Demolition Man but still I want to see how it progresses.  I'm in.
  • I've been binge watching this for the past few hours and I have to say, I agree with the original poster.  This show is definitely not what I was expecting.   To my knowledge, Jim and Aron don't have a sci-fi show they cover, and after 4 episodes, this feels like the one.  Hell, Aron, it has Chad Coleman, your daddy!

It's not without it's faults, but its a sci-fi political drama that's shot well, has some good characters (and a few that annoy me so far, here's hoping they get better) and overall, the best thing the Sci-Fi channel has done since BSG.  I know that Aron doesn't like BSG, but its pretty different.  

Anyway, I hope everyone gives it a shot, and Jim and Aron, perhaps something to consider if it gets a season two.  
    Elisa
  • I've been watching this for the past few weeks (haven't caught episode 7 yet) but I really like it.  It's definitely not perfect but I agree with @Toadie, this is one of the best SyFy shows in a long time, second only to Z Nation.  I haven't really found myself liking the characters as much as the concepts but that's one of my few complaints.
    Elisa
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    The show could really stand up to single episode analysis. It's a shame we didn't get that from BM. Now I'm left to Googling what's up with all the bird and hummingbird imagery (the Belter OPA agent had a tattoo) and the metaphorical significance of Miller's hat. 

Does anyone happen to know of a good podcast for this? 
    Elisa
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    We don't have single episode analysis for seasons 1 - 2, but we'll be doing weekly pods on season 3.
    JaimieTKingKobraElisabazjensterFlukesalexander.klassenrustywright4MajorMalfunctionAussieGregbritadoyleand 3 others.
    We don't have single episode analysis for seasons 1 - 2, but we'll be doing weekly pods on season 3.

And I'm very excited, because I'm lazy!
    Elisabazjenster
  • We don't have single episode analysis for seasons 1 - 2, but we'll be doing weekly pods on season 3.
    Awesome, can't wait to hear the coverage.  I've been watching since season 1, it's not the best show out there but it's a quality science fiction show.  Glad to see it's going to be getting the Bald Move treatment.
    ElisaJovial_Falcon
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Hooray!  BM coverage!  I have become a crazed fan about this show and I really love the books too.  I've only gotten as far as book 3, and all the novellas up to book 3 because I don't want to be too spoiled on the TV show.  Bravo BM!  Welcome to the belt!  
    Jovial_Falcon
    Awesome, can't wait to hear the coverage.  I've been watching since season 1, it's not the best show out there but it's a quality science fiction show.  Glad to see it's going to be getting the Bald Move treatment.

I dunno, my opinion of it has greatly increased when rewatching. I think it's my most anticipated return show...
    Elisa
  • This is very exciting indeed. Now let's hope that the show doesn't pull a True Detective-esque nosedive and make them regret it.
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Based on book 3, the show has so much goodness to give this season  ;)
    darthcaedus1138
    SEASON 1 & 2 SPOILERS

Looking up what the meaning of the sparrow is, I've discovered a few interesting things. I'm certain there's more places this could go, but the two prevailing ideas (thus far)

1. The sparrow is a metaphor for the Belters. Here's a creature that is not home. It was created for another life, and yet it doesn't know what that other life is, or even that it exists. But it's adapted, and it's making the best of it. But its full potential is dormant forever.

2. The sparrow represents Julie. I don't quite understand this one, because why would the sparrow represent Julie? It seems to work better as a metaphor for humanity outside of Earth. And yet, it always shows up when Miller is thinking about Julie, and even Julie sees a vision of Miller, her necklace and the sparrow before passing out from the proto-molecule disease. 

Ay, ay, these thoughts are scattered and I don't feel like organizing them. I'm not sure they'll organize.

The Belter that Chrisjen was torturing in the early episodes had a hummingbird tattoo. The hummingbird is a fucking weird animal when you think about it, and yet via a frenzy of industry it survives. Now think of the sparrow flying in low-G. Kind of looks like a hummingbird, right? Hovering.

I'm enjoying contemplating Miller. I hated his character the first time around, and I was so annoyed he was able to get his wish in uniting with Julie -- with like, no choice of her own in the matter. It was creepy. Upon viewing #2, I think this is intentional. I don't think the show denies that his obsession with Julie is creepy. We see a flashback of Julie and, as much as time permits, she's shown to be a human being with her own agency. Before locking on to the Anubis, she takes a quick drink of something. Maybe the director was just giving her something to do, but I think this was a quick attempt to underscore her humanity, her personhood, and like any person, she's complex and enigmatic. Miller has created his own version of her in his mind, and when he meets her, there doesn't seem to be enough of her left to contradict that version. But, he is wrong...

I'm sure I'll have more thoughts on Julie/Miller once I get into season 2. 

In her final moments, Julie seemed distraught that Anderson Dawes wasn't coming for her. Did she love him? Did he pretend to love her? Or does he love her, but he loves whatever his plan is more? There's a part where Dawes is interrogating Miller (right before his goons try to dump Miller out of the airlock) and Dawes sees a picture of Julie and says to Miller, amused and disgusted at once, "You're in love with her." I really dig that realization if Dawes has had personal experience with it.
    Elisa
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    Rewatched all these with my son recently. 

Just curious - does anyone else think the S2 finale really drags? First time it felt like one of SYFY's cheaper shows to me.
    chrisk said:
    Rewatched all these with my son recently. 

Just curious - does anyone else think the S2 finale really drags? First time it felt like one of SYFY's cheaper shows to me.

I'll look out for that when I get there.
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
     :#

Now I feel like I've poisoned the well. 
    chrisk said:
     :#

Now I feel like I've poisoned the well. 

I didn't think so the first time through, so I think you're fine. 
    KingKobra
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I had no issues with season 2 but then again I’ve read the books up to that so I’m thoroughly immersed in that world.  B)
  • I liked the Season 2. Thought both seasons were good. I have many questions though, but the main one kind of affects my enjoyment. How do the scientists on Ganymede get the protomolecule and create ProtoSoldiers at the same time it seems that the protomolecule was being tested and studied on Eros? It seems the results of the tests on Ganymede are too far along if the protomolecule was just discovered. That plot line seems kinda weak. 

Aron and Jims midseason and wrapup are good, and I agree with both of them on different points. Not of big fan of Holden actor nor Chrisjen's accent. And it seems they are just as confused on some of the show as I am.
    I liked the Season 2. Thought both seasons were good. I have many questions though, but the main one kind of affects my enjoyment. How do the scientists on Ganymede get the protomolecule and create ProtoSoldiers at the same time it seems that the protomolecule was being tested and studied on Eros? It seems the results of the tests on Ganymede are too far along if the protomolecule was just discovered. That plot line seems kinda weak. 

Aron and Jims midseason and wrapup are good, and I agree with both of them on different points. Not of big fan of Holden actor nor Chrisjen's accent. And it seems they are just as confused on some of the show as I am.

@Elisa might be better at answering this. But I believe they discovered the protomolecule on Ganymede itself, and quite some time before The Expanse season 1 picks up. Phase 1 was testing it on the children there, making the ProtoSoldiers. Then Phase 2 was infecting the people on Eros, giving it more people to "learn" from, via the Anubis ship transfer. That's what Julie Mao and the Scopuli were trying to intercept.
  • JaimieT said:
    I liked the Season 2. Thought both seasons were good. I have many questions though, but the main one kind of affects my enjoyment. How do the scientists on Ganymede get the protomolecule and create ProtoSoldiers at the same time it seems that the protomolecule was being tested and studied on Eros? It seems the results of the tests on Ganymede are too far along if the protomolecule was just discovered. That plot line seems kinda weak. 

@Elisa might be better at answering this. But I believe they discovered the protomolecule on Ganymede itself, and quite some time before The Expanse season 1 picks up. Phase 1 was testing it on the children there, making the ProtoSoldiers. Then Phase 2 was infecting the people on Eros, giving it more people to "learn" from, via the Anubis ship transfer. That's what Julie Mao and the Scopuli were trying to intercept.
    Oh, I thought it was discovered on Phoebe Station.
    JaimieT said:

Oh, I thought it was discovered on Phoebe Station.

Yeah, you know, I have no idea. I was thinking Phoebe. I need to get into season 2. RAGE QUIT. (Sorry for any confusion.) 
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    edited February 8
    Hi Guys I think that Jules Pierre Mao's company was testing the protomolecule on Belters on Eros and infecting the children on Ganymede and trying to "tame" the protomolecule very close to the same time.  Mao's company is this huge rich conglomerate with deep pockets.  Yes, the protomolecule was discovered on Phoebe Station and is alien in nature. (stating the obvious)
    JaimieT
  • We don't have single episode analysis for seasons 1 - 2, but we'll be doing weekly pods on season 3.
    Hell yes, Hoss!
    Elisa