A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
Director: Michael Uppendahl
Writer: Bob DeLaurentis

Comments

• A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Holy shit. That was Molly's dad, ya'll.
    ElisabroompersonhypergenesbDaveyMac
  • UnderwoodUnderwood Philadelphia, PA
    Man another great episode. Lou was cool as a cucumber during those two intense scenes. Patrick Wilson is doing a tremendous job, it really feels like he's a younger Lou from the first season. He seems to have his nuances down and everything.
    ksa1001DummyElisahypergenesbDaveyMac
    "The mouse lady had kind eyes"
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    Total badass Mr. Lou is, Total
    DummyElisaUnderwood
  • "Get in the hole"
    "Ok"

Nope
    manhattnikSeslor
  • Anyone else think the busted doorknob at the typewriter shop was a nod to Anton Chigurhs cattle prod / bolt pistol from No Country For Old Men? Can't wait to buy this season on bluray. Good watchin so far lets hope they don't F it up.
    John_NadaDorkOfTheNinjas
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    "I am not a crook." hahaha Nixon dissed, Carter dissed, gas lines, fake accidents and whiplash.  This episode was quality.
    UnderwoodhypergenesbJohn_Nada
  • "You make us sound like a Prog Rock band" was my line of the night.
    DeeAntManBeeDummyElisaksa1001adobo1148
  • UnderwoodUnderwood Philadelphia, PA
    what's a worse way to die? Being shoved into a hole in the ice head first, or being buried by hot asphalt? It's damn close.
    Elisa
    "The mouse lady had kind eyes"

Anyone else think the busted doorknob at the typewriter shop was a nod to Anton Chigurhs cattle prod / bolt pistol from No Country For Old Men? Can't wait to buy this season on bluray. Good watchin so far lets hope they don't F it up.

@Eric1stOfHisName There's no way it wasn't that and intentional. I feel like I'm in college and haven't done the required reading where Miller's Crossing & The Man Who Wasn't There is concerned, but No Country!? THAT is my shit, and I got that one.
    John_NadaDorkOfTheNinjas
  • NikkiP said:

"You make us sound like a Prog Rock band" was my line of the night.

Bookeem Woodbine is killing it as Mike Milligan. It's no coincidence he was right at the center of one of my favorite Sopranos episodes. Obviously, he was fantastic in that as well.
    Elisaksa1001John_NadaNikkiP
    All the nightmares came today, and it looks as though they're here to stay...
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    edited October 2015
    I loved when he told mike his mom takes it in the back door. I love it when some one takes down a mom, like I took down yours. Oh god I'm such a child.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I love how we know enough about Lou that his bravery in confronting two mortal threats in a single episode didn't not phase me in the least.  Nor did his nonchalant way of communicating about it later.  Lou saw some shit in Vietnam, these small time crooks don't hold a candle compared to Charlie.  Showed a fundamental difference between him and Molly's grandpa.  He was brave too, but he broke a bit of a sweat.  Lou has icewater in his veins.  And not in an especially bad-ass or swagger kind of way, he's just rock solid, he wants to get home safe to his wife and kid, but also, he's police and you're going to answer his goddamn questions within the limits of which he is able to ask under the law.  Seems like a very unique take on a cop character, and that's leaving alone the interesting Fargo flavor to his character.
    John_NadaElisaDaveyMacksa1001
  • John_NadaJohn_Nada California
    edited October 2015
    So Molly was watching a program about Operation Eagles Nest on TV.  Is this referencing the race between the allied forces to capture the Kehlsteinhaus, Hitlers mountain retreat, being similar to the multiple parties trying to arrest, acquire, or defeat, the Guerhardts? The Guerhardt's compound kind of reminds me of a Nazi High Comand office.  

This is the only comparison I could come up with.  I know there where several different Allied divisions attempting to be the first to take the Eagles Nest at the end of WW2 and everyone is after the Guerhardt family for one reason or another. 
    AntManBeeElisa
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    AntManBee said:

NikkiP said:

Bookeem Woodbine is killing it as Mike Milligan. It's no coincidence he was right at the center of one of my favorite Sopranos episodes. Obviously, he was fantastic in that as well.
    He is absolutely amazing here...but really? A Hit is a Hit is one of your favorite Sopranos episodes? I thought it was clearly not only a low mark for Season One, but also for the entire series. Oh well, different tastes and all of that.
  • edited October 2015
    Very mixed feelings about this season so far. I'm liking Lou and I'm liking Jesse Plemons and Kirsten Dunst. I don't give 2 shits about the KC Mafia or the Gerhardts though. In fact, this season is actually following a similar structure to the god-awful Gotham Season 1. Lou is Jim Gordon. The KC Mafia and the Gerhardts are Falcone's crew and Maroni's crew. Season 2 is really missing a great Lorne-style villain and a weird Lester type. Jeffrey Donovan and Brad Garrett are no Martin Freeman and Billy Bob Thornton.
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    I really hate Jeff Donovan from a episode of Monk to the Clint Eastwood directed movie The Changeling, that dude can be the worst asshole on the planet. He makes me hate him as Dodd. I guess that's being a good actor, because when he is a dick he goes full on. I think Bear is all right so far.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    When Hank was talking about the hit and run and Peggy was getting all skittish, her boss seemed to be putting two and two together. I think Peggy's about to be subjected to some lesbian rape by blackmail...
  • DaveyMacDaveyMac Tokyo
    edited October 2015
    I was skeptical on the Mike Milligan character last week, but I've really come around to him this week. Oddly enough the scene that really sold me was the shampoo scene with Ray Romano's brother. I loved that exchange. Seeing him talk outside of the tense situations for whatever reason grounded him as a character for me in a way that I didn't feel last week.

I was also sad to see typewriter guy go. I loved his channeling of Jerry Lundegaard.

I, too, immediately thought of "No Country" when they showed that lock on the ground. It seems, so far anyway, that they Gerhardts, KC, and Rye are borrowing elements from Miller's Crossing and Ed & Peggy are borrowing some from "The Man Who Wasn't There". Billy Bob Thornton's character was even named Ed. I don't want to oversell how closely stories here relate to the stories in the films as they really are quite different and I don't think Hawley in any way is ripping off and re-packaging anything. I just think it's cool, having seen both films to see how he's used those influences to great effect here.
    AntManBee

AntManBee said:

NikkiP said:

He is absolutely amazing here...but really? A Hit is a Hit is one of your favorite Sopranos episodes? I thought it was clearly not only a low mark for Season One, but also for the entire series. Oh well, different tastes and all of that.
    Have to agree with that take. One of my least favorite episodes with a tease of drama that wouldn't come (just saw it last night as I'm re-watching with my teens)
  • kingbee67 said:

I really hate Jeff Donovan from a episode of Monk to the Clint Eastwood directed movie The Changeling, that dude can be the worst asshole on the planet. He makes me hate him as Dodd. I guess that's being a good actor, because when he is a dick he goes full on. I think Bear is all right so far.

Holy shit he's that giant asshole from The Changeling, I knew I'd seen him somewhere. I really hate Dodd too, but I think that actor is doing a great job.
  • I spent a whole episode thinking the typewriter guy was Anthony Michael Hall.
  • manhattnikmanhattnik the big apple
    Haven’t listened to the podcasts yet, so forgive me if I’m repeating stuff that’s already been covered, but “The Myth of Sisyphus” is a fairly well-known essay by Albert Camus, and based on the Greek myth of Sisyphus, who was condemned to spend eternity rolling a huge rock up a hill, only to have it roll down as soon as he reached the top, requiring him to push it again and again. Like some horrible old GOTO loop. 

The essay ends with this remarkable paragraph, which has certainly stuck in my mind since I first read it:

I leave Sisyphus at the foot of the mountain! One always finds one's burden again. But Sisyphus teaches the higher fidelity that negates the gods and raises rocks. He too concludes that all is well. This universe henceforth without a master seems to him neither sterile nor futile. Each atom of that stone, each mineral flake of that night filled mountain, in itself forms a world. The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.

I admire the twist Camus puts on the myth, in which Sisyphus is always miserable and suffering from his unending, futile labor.

I honestly have no idea how this relates to the episode. Who might be the happy Sisyphus?
    Elisa
  • manhattnikmanhattnik the big apple
    Then again, The Myth of Sisyphus has the following intriguing lines:

There is no sun without shadow, and it is essential to know the night. The absurd man says yes and his efforts will henceforth be unceasing. If there is a personal fate, there is no higher destiny, or at least there is, but one which he concludes is inevitable and despicable. For the rest, he knows himself to be the master of his days. 
    Elisa
  • This is kind of spoilery  for Miller's Crossing...

I really thought the typewriter salesman was going to beg his way out of the hole. I know it's not quite the same situation as what went down in MC.

For quite by chance and the will of a wizard...
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    The myth of sisyphus also goes into the absurd life and 4 types of absurdity: the actor, the Don Juan type, conqueror and the  creator/artist.  I wonder if Fargo S2 does the same...hmmm
    manhattnikNikkiP
  • AntManBee said:

NikkiP said:

@Garthgou81 @ksa1001 Yeah, I loved the stories and themes from that episode. Chris and Adrianna trying to break into music management, Tony and Carmela's interactions with the Cusomanos and their rich friends (loved Tony's story about John Gotti), Massive G trying to get royalties from Hesh for his relative. Yeah, I love it. And then there was this line:

"You people are alright. "Godfather", I seen that movie two hundred
    times. "Godfather II" was definitely the shit. The third one... A lot of
    people didn't like it. But I think it was just misunderstood."
    NikkiP
    All the nightmares came today, and it looks as though they're here to stay...
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    Been gone a while, glad to rejoin the forums here.  Anyway, last year I was really disappointed that True Detective stole all the attention from TV when two show in particular, Fargo and The Knick, were way better.  This year we saw what a fluke TD was with season 2 and Fargo and The Knick only got better.

It is insane that despite knowing Lou will survive until modern day that I was as worried for his life as I was during the standoff with Mike Milligan and the Gerhardt family.  This episode was insanely good.
    Elisahypergenesbtom_g
    AntManBee said:

AntManBee said:

NikkiP said:

@Garthgou81 @ksa1001 Yeah, I loved the stories and themes from that episode. Chris and Adrianna trying to break into music management, Tony and Carmela's interactions with the Cusomanos and their rich friends (loved Tony's story about John Gotti), Massive G trying to get royalties from Hesh for his relative. Yeah, I love it. And then there was this line:

"You people are alright. "Godfather", I seen that movie two hundred
    times. "Godfather II" was definitely the shit. The third one... A lot of
    people didn't like it. But I think it was just misunderstood."
    Hey, glad you dig it. It does have some good lines. It is always fun to see the gang outside of their comfort zone. And both Chris and Tony are stuck in those situations. It has its entertaining moments. And if it were any other show it'd be a fine episode. But The Sopranos is such amazing TV...
    AntManBee
  • Hey, glad you dig it. It does have some good lines. It is always fun to see the gang outside of their comfort zone. And both Chris and Tony are stuck in those situations. It has its entertaining moments. And if it were any other show it'd be a fine episode. But The Sopranos is such amazing TV...

I think the highest point of "the gang outside of their comfort zone"
    is Pine Barrens by far. It's probably my favorite episode. Sometimes the
    interior decorator scene randomly pops into my head for no reason and I
    just can't stop laughing about it!
    AntManBee
    Reni said:

Hey, glad you dig it. It does have some good lines. It is always fun to see the gang outside of their comfort zone. And both Chris and Tony are stuck in those situations. It has its entertaining moments. And if it were any other show it'd be a fine episode. But The Sopranos is such amazing TV...

I think the highest point of "the gang outside of their comfort zone"
    is Pine Barrens by far. It's probably my favorite episode. Sometimes the
    interior decorator scene randomly pops into my head for no reason and I
    just can't stop laughing about it!
    Off topic, and maybe I should make a Sopranos thread to continue this discussion, but regardless: I think that Pine Barrens is definitely one of (if not THE) high water mark episodes for stand-alone Sopranos episodes. The show had better overall episodes, but it did such a great job integrating stand-alone vignette episodes into an over-arching series plot-line. Pine Barrens did this exceptionally well, because you had Paulie and Chris dealing with the Russian. Simultaneously you had Tony who was dealing with his issues with Gloria (an example of a season long plot). Both stories work and also work together to create an episode which serves the casual, occasional viewer, but also the folks who watched obsessively and wanted forward movement as far as the season's plot.