Fargo Season 2 Performances

edited October 2015 in Fargo
Let's hear about the best and worst acting of this season. And everything in between.

Comments

• In 203 (The Myth of Sisyphus), Jesse Plemons nails it again. A nuanced, understated and elegant performance. Watch his facial expressions on the bus. And Patrick Wilson's best work yet, IMO. 
    Elisa
  • edited October 2015
    Am I the only one who doesn't like Jean Smart's acting in Fargo? Her characterization of Floyd doesn't ring true for me. I think it's becuause her delivery is so deadpan and emotionless, which might work if she had any sort of Midwestern accent. 
  • I like the actress playing Peggy's boss but I don't know if that performance is working for me. The accent stands out as much as her sexual harassment. It feels like she's doing an SNL character.
    Elisa
  • NikkiP said:

I like the actress playing Peggy's boss but I don't know if that performance is working for me. The accent stands out as much as her sexual harassment. It feels like she's doing an SNL character.

Agreed. And somehow she just doesn't look like someone from Minnesota or North Dakota -- she looks like she's from LA.
    Elisa
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited October 2015

Funny that you mention SNL, I actually thought she might be Kristen Wiig for a minute or two.

I've really liked almost all of the main cast through the first two episodes (haven't seen Monday's ep yet). The Kansas City guy is amazing (his name is escaping me). I'm really, really digging his performance. What a great character. I'm loving Jesse Plemmons. Christina Miliotti and Jason Patrick are both great and I really like their unique chemistry, and goddamn Sam Malone. I'm loving me some Sammy Malone. Coach would be proud.

manhattnik

I really want a Grizzly Bear sidekick, but Daniel Rossen won't return my phone calls.

• Jean Smart is the actor that has really impressed me the most so far.
    TravisElisaRaiyne
  • edited October 2015

I think they're all doing a great job, although the accents on some of them are shaky or non-existent. 

They've mentioned High Noon in the dialogue a couple times  and it's fitting because Patrick is definitely giving a Gary Cooper type performance. #Swoon

Is anyone getting a Velma from Scooby Doo vibe from Betsy?  Her hair style and she seems to be super smart... She's solving the mystery right in front of everyone. 

Ted Danson is killing it.  I love every scene he is in.

The girl playing Simone is killing it too.  I expect big things from that girl this season.  She's dying to get back at Daddy. 

Elisasteph_b
    For quite by chance and the will of a wizard...
  • Patrick's got me swooning too. Especially after episode 3.
    Raiyne
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    He is really dreamy, and I am pretty straight. But I guess I've always dug him after first seeing him in Hard Candy. (Which would be an excellent commissioned podcast now that I think of it).
    Raiyne
  • He is really dreamy, and I am pretty straight. But I guess I've always dug him after first seeing him in Hard Candy. (Which would be an excellent commissioned podcast now that I think of it).

I'm not straight and I think Bear is the dreamy one.

steph_bTravis
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    I'm enjoying Jean Smart, and Patrick Wilson really impressed me in episode 3.  (I just got caught up)  The show's style seems to maintain a distance between the performances and the screen.  The acting is fine, but Jean Smart and Patrick Wilson are the only two that consistently seem -- or are allowed to be -- nuanced.
    steph_b
    Stop pissing in my soup and saying you're cooling it off.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Jean Smart is amazing - I've never seen her so under-stated. Or so old-lady looking! She's usually way more glamorous. I'm showing my age but I've loved her since Designing Women.
    steph_bRaiyneElisa
  • I'm a lifelong gangster movie fan and I gotta say that it's really fucking nice to have a matriarch running the show. Especially a woman who is smart and not sexualized or shrewish.
    DeeRaiyneElisaTravisA_Ron_Hubbard
  • Jean Smart was in one of the better seasons of 24, I'm pretty sure she won an Emmy for it. She could win another one for the most recent episode of Fargo as far as I'm concerned, she was awesome. I think the cast of season 2 is really solid, during the first episode I lost count of how many times I was like "oh hey, it's _____!"
    Elisa
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    This episode was fantastic. The suspense and build up was brilliant. Everything is slowly following apart and just can't wait for next week's episode as things start to clash. Lol even my husband is watching now.
  • A
    steph_b said:

I'm a lifelong gangster movie fan and I gotta say that it's really fucking nice to have a matriarch running the show. Especially a woman who is smart and not sexualized or shrewish.

Yes! And even she "inherited" the business from her husband. I'm waiting for the day when we will see a self-made female mob boss.
    steph_bElisa
  • edited November 2015
    Jean Smart killed it this episode.
    ElisaDaveyMac
  • DaveyMacDaveyMac Tokyo
    edited November 2015
    I mentioned Jean Smart, Patrick Wilson, and Brad Garrett in the episode thread for this week for putting in stellar performances, but I neglected to mention Cristin Milioti as Betsy. She was fantastic as well.
    Elisa
  • @steph_b

If women running the shit is your thing then check out Dredd if you havent see that. Ma Ma(Cersei) runs that shit! :)
    No Half Measures....
  • DoubleTDoubleT Melbourne, Australia
    Haven't seen much of Angus Sampson but he looks quite threatening. @A_Ron_Hubbard did you recall he played the crazy "doctor" from Fury Road? The one who delivered the still born baby like he was stripping the carburetor of a car!
  • edited November 2015
    negroazul said:

NikkiP said:

I like the actress playing Peggy's boss but I don't know if that performance is working for me. The accent stands out as much as her sexual harassment. It feels like she's doing an SNL character.

Agreed. And somehow she just doesn't look like someone from Minnesota or North Dakota -- she looks like she's from LA.
    @negroazul Isn't that basically the entire point of the her character? She's constantly influencing Peggy to go against the grain of the mid-western society they're living in. Every character shouldn't have to look the part of where they are, especially a beauty-conscious one that would probably rather be in LA/wherever else.
    ElisaDee

• A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    DoubleT said:

Haven't seen much of Angus Sampson but he looks quite threatening. @A_Ron_Hubbard did you recall he played the crazy "doctor" from Fury Road? The one who delivered the still born baby like he was stripping the carburetor of a car!

No I did not infact know that!  Wow, now I wonder what else I've seen him in that I didn't recognize.  It still amazes me that he's the same guy packing heroin up his pucker in The Mule.
    DoubleT
  • DoubleTDoubleT Melbourne, Australia
  • DoubleT said:

Another Aussie actor pulling off a flawless American accent.