The Sopranos

Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
In order to keep other threads on-topic, it was suggested I start a Sopranos thread.  I may have missed it there is already one out there, but I did a search. I kind of assume there will be spoilers in here, so for folks who haven't seen this amazing show, maybe check back afterwards?

Actually if folks were interested, it'd be really fun to do a rewatch (or first watch) of the show and discuss here...like an online-TV club. If this is something enough people are interested in I will come up with a schedule for it. Regardless, what do you guys think?!

A. Ron, this'd be a great opportunity to jump on the Sopranos boat and catch up!

Comments

• kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    A re watch seems too be a good idea. It has been awhile since I've seen it.
  • DaveyMacDaveyMac Tokyo
    edited October 2015
    I'd love to do a re-watch as I, too, haven't seen it in ages. My list of tv shows to catch up on is so long at the moment, so I don't think I could manage. Add in the new Direct podcast and upcoming video game releases and it's a busy time for entertainment. Still, I plan on following this thread and any re-watch threads if you get it going.
  • I don't know if I can do a full rewatch at this time, but I would definitely parachute in for an episode here and there (especially A Hit is a Hit, heh). Since the finale in 2007, I've rewatched it twice. Both were rewarding.

In any case, I would totally be into any discussions involving a rewatch. I remember the whole series pretty well.
  • I'd also be in for a rewatch!
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    Huge sopranos fan! I'd join in conversations :) not sure if I'd actually rewatch, as I don't have the dvd's nor a Netflix membership :)
  • edited October 2015
    The entire series is available on Amazon Prime if you have that.
    AntManBee said:

The entire series is available on Amazon Prime if you that.

YET another reason to ask for Amazon prime membership for my birthday!! Which is December 3rd, should anyone want to sign me up my email address is in my profile ;) ;) ;)

Thanks @AntManBee
    AntManBee
  • @TaraC73 You can get a 30-day free trial on Amazon Prime! (And also for Netflix, but I don't think The Sopranos is up there)
    TaraC73
  • One thing that had me thinking while listing to the 10 million downloads cast was how this show featured so many interesting women. Just start with Livia, Carmella and Janice. Then you had Charmaine Bucco, Rosalie Aprile, Adriana La Cerva, Jennifer Melfi, Gloria Trillo and more!
    ReniFreddy
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited October 2015
    Cut Dr. Melfi out of that list and you're on to something. She's the worst. But yeah, overall some of the best written women in the history of TV. Crazy how many times I've had friends describe their sisters, moms, girlfriends, etc. just by saying the name of a Sopranos character.

The Sopranos really is one of those shows where it hits some of the highest highs of quality and some of the lowest lows; often times in the same episode. Still one of my favorites to this day. Get sucked in every time its on.
    AntManBee
  • @Freddy So you don't like Dr. Melfi? That really surprises me. I always really liked her and how Lorraine Bracco portrayed the character. I just didn't like how the role ended in the series.

I'm curious to know who else in this thread doesn't like her.
  • Along with The Shield, The Sporanos was my first serious must see TV!  Would certainly be up for a serial episodic discussion.
    ksa1001hypergenesb
  • I liked dr. Melfi and her dynamic with Tony, but like AntManBee I hated how she ended up. After "diagnosing" Tony as a sociopath her attitude towards him was horrible, and unacceptable from a therapist.
    AntManBee
  • Yeh I put the Soprano's in my Top 3 shows anyday of the week, so good call on the thread, I'd would be in for a re-watch.

As for Dr Melfi, there were part's of the whole psychiatrist sessions as a plot device that i didn't always love, but that said it also facilitated some of my favourite scenes(like below), Mefli herself, always thought she was a great supporting actress 

• DeeDee Adelaide
    I liked Melfi because I like Lorraine Bracco, but she was a terrible therapist.

My favourite of the female characters - in fact, probably my favourite Sopranos character - was Adriana. "Christopherrrrrr!"
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Should we put a moratorium on spoilers? I wasn't sure if this thread would even take off and how many first time viewers would par take. What do you guys think?
  • I think spoilers are fair game with a series that ended 8 years ago. And I don't think there were any first time viewers in this thread, were there?
    Dislike Melfi. Carmella is one of the best female leads in tv history.
    AntManBeezmbiejessica
  • @Reni I think you'd have to assume that there are going to be spoilers involved in a discussion about a show that ended in '07.
    Okay, Sounds good! Just Wanted to be sure. What do you guys think for a rewatch? 4 episodes a week? That seems to be a good middle ground.
    Freddy
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    ^^^I'm down. Haven't ran through it in a while.
  • I just saw that the complete series Bluray collection is on sale at Amazon for 99.99. That's a damn good deal for an HBO series set.
    AntManBee
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    @DaveyMac that's a super deal. I remember they were selling the season one for like 59.99 for years after it came out on dvd.
  • AdmountAdmount Denton, Texas
    Sopranos was great. I never got around to watching it until last year, but I was blown away. I don't think it's top 5 TV shows for me, but it heavily influences most of my top 5 shows.
  • russkellyrusskelly Indianapolis
    20 years ago, the greatest show of all time debuted. I'm six eps away from finishing my latest rewatch, and apparently others have been rewatching as well. Anybody here currently rewatching? Anybody got a tip on a good podcast that covers the show?

• Have the guys mentioned their experiences with it?

Big fan - would look forward to a retrocast.
    Strangely enough I just finished a rewatch. It’s my favorite series of all time and it looks fantastic on Blu-Ray. There is a podcast that I listen(ed) to called “No F*ckckin’ Ziti.” The podcasters are ridiculous, and laugh at their own jokes a lot, but I sort of love that. They also repeat the same jokes, where you start to get annoyed, but then it miraculously circles around and becomes more funny than it initially was. What you should know is they irritatingly made it to the end of the Season 6a, and haven’t made anymore since mid-April. I hope they eventually come back and polish that thing off.
    russkelly
    Strangely enough I just finished a rewatch. It’s my favorite series of all time and it looks fantastic on Blu-Ray. There is a podcast that I listen(ed) to called “No F*ckckin’ Ziti.” The podcasters are ridiculous, and laugh at their own jokes a lot, but I sort of love that. They also repeat the same jokes, where you start to get annoyed, but then it miraculously circles around and becomes more funny than it initially was. What you should know is they irritatingly made it to the end of the Season 6a, and haven’t made anymore since mid-April. I hope they eventually come back and polish that thing off.
    I'll check it out. Thanks! That's what I'm saying. So many people are currently rewatching it. It's great! And in my very humble opinion, it's more relevant now than ever.
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited January 9
    I've been doing a "casual rewatch," trying to hit some highlights. Watched Whitecaps last night, so good. Planning to watch Test Dream and Long Term Parking tonight.

I asked about the show in this week's lunch thread so will be interested to hear if they have any new thoughts on the show. It has such a big influence on some favorite Bald Move shows.

Alan Sepinwall and Matt Zoller Seitz are releasing a book "The Sopranos Sessions" to coincide with the anniversary, from the excerpts I've read it sounds pretty good.
    russkelly
    Just finished. The "Cut to Black" never bothered me before, but this time it seemed lazy. Time to start the whole thing over again! :)