204 - "Fear and Trembling"

A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
Director: Michael Uppendahl
Writer: Steve Blackman

Comments

• Oh Ed, that poor dumb bastard.
    hypergenesbElisaTravis
  • As someone who loved Colonel Tigh, I was pretty excited to see a young Michael Hogan opening the episode, even if it was just a brief flashback. I can't even be disappointed that he doesn't get to do more, because the show is so damn good.

Also, between Fargo and The Leftovers, people in comas sure had a rough time this week.
    AntManBeeNikkiPA_Ron_HubbardTravis
  • Great performances from Mama Gerhardt, Ray Romano's brother and Lou! Loved the scene with Lou, Ed, and Peggy.

I was a bit surprised to see things start falling into to place so quickly, but then again season 1 was like that as well. Plus, knowing what we know about the Sioux Falls massacre from season one Lou, I'm guessing this thing'll only keep getting bigger and bigger.

It's intersecting to note that the course Peggy is taking is in Sioux Falls. i can't remember if they mentioned that in a previous episode.
    Elisasteph_bTravis
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    edited November 2015
    Lots o cheeks in that episode.
    The music was on the money this week. The use of opera for setting up the feel.
    This is gonna be some serious Shakespeare style tragedy on a Titus Andronicus or King Lear scale.
    Lou and his wife, beautiful and heartbreaking.
    Violence!
    Offerman packin heat.
    Oh no it's Devo.
    Was this one of the best episodes of TV ever?

RaiyneAntManBeeElisaTravis
  • This episode had excellent storytelling. I wish more people were watching.

When Hanzee checked his watch after seeing the lights, it reminded me of the story A. Ron told on the podcast about the cop who claimed to have an alien experience - his watch and squad car were both off by 15 minutes.

Peggy is very short sighted. She wants more in life but is preventing her husband from bringing in more money by owning the shop. At the same time, a husband who has sex in a fleece shirt and dirty sox is enough to make a woman want to run for the hills. Eww.
    steph_bA_Ron_HubbardTravismanhattnik
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
     It's interesting because back then women had their role to play and anything that appeared like free thinking was looked badly on. It's interesting to see Peggy do what she has to do to get her way. I don't like her at all but then you think she probably married someone like Ed so she could be the one making the decisions. Kirsten Dunst is knocking it out of the park acting wise.
    Travis
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited November 2015
    Lesson of the day courtesy of Mike Milligan: finger in the ass = surprising.

Also, where on God's green earth do you keep the plunger?
    Travis
  • edited November 2015
    Fantastic table-setting episode to set the stage for the end of the season. Too often these sorts of episodes in shows can drag on a bit or just get a bit too boring with too much exposition but every scene of this episode was great and there were several with a wonderful build-up of tension. Not to mention humor. "Gimme a chocolate glaaaze and uh.. an Old Fashioned? An Old Fashioned"

It really irritates me when great shows like this don't get attention and mediocre or terrible crap is super popular. I just want it to be popular enough to keep getting renewed as long as it remains as great as it has been thus far.

I so want a post-season finale Easter egg/ meta-youtube release of a music video from Mike Milligan and the Kitchen Brothers.
    ElisaNikkiPTravis

• Seriously though...wtf is it with Noah Hawley/Fargo and females placing thumbs in rectums!?

A THUMB!?
    Travis
  • @ksa1001 Wait what? There were other sodomy-by-thumb references last season? I must have blocked it out. Maybe this is his version of Tarantino's foot fetish.

• ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    edited November 2015
    Last season when we caught up with Lorne Malvo in his dentist alter ego....

Female character: I'm going to put my thumb ALL THE WAY up your ass tonight!

Lorne: ACES! (finger guns)

A_Ron_Hubbardsteph_bAntManBeeTravis
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    The old fashioned line made me so happy, as did Nick Offerman offering to draw down on Hanzee. I found the episode as a whole incredibly sad. What with Lou and Betsy, Floyd and Otto, even Ed and Peggy was sad in the context of Lou's excellent war analogy. All these people's lives are about to get so dark and depressing, and I suppose I'll find it entertaining in the end but in the moment I'm blue.
    ElisaTravis
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    That scene with Ed, Peggy and Lou was so good - Lou gently trying to let them know how much danger they were in. I was just sitting there thinking, man, Patrick Wilson is a fantastic actor. I've always liked him well enough but I've never really appreciated how talented he is.
    ksa1001DaveyMacCoryElisaUnderwoodAshleyangryjefTravis
  • DoubleT Melbourne, Australia

The old fashioned line made me so happy, as did Nick Offerman offering to draw down on Hanzee. I found the episode as a whole incredibly sad. What with Lou and Betsy, Floyd and Otto, even Ed and Peggy was sad in the context of Lou's excellent war analogy. All these people's lives are about to get so dark and depressing, and I suppose I'll find it entertaining in the end but in the moment I'm blue.

On the other hand Mike will probably get another finger up his ass...so.
    ksa1001Travis
  • DoubleT said:

...and not just any ol finger...A THUMB!
    lol
    Travis
    That's like... Two fingers!
    ksa1001TravisKela15
  • My two main shows right now are Fargo and the Leftovers. I'm enjoying them both, but disagree with this week's Leftovers podcast that the Leftovers is by far the best show on TV at the moment. I prefer Fargo. 

I'm enjoying the Leftovers, but my concern is the same I had with Lost--they have created a world where they can do/write anything without explanation. Need more drama? How about another disappearance? or a mysterious pregnancy? or visions, or prophecies? Is this real? We don't have to answer that. How do we explain what happened? We don't have to. They are writing in a world where there are no corners.

In Fargo, they are writing in a world where they have to be consistent, and they have to explain most things (maybe not the UFO?). And they are doing a great job.

Both shows have great acting.

And I'm enjoying your podcasts!

steph_bksa1001ghm3ElisaHatorianAshleyangryjefTravis
  • PcherryPcherry Auburn, AL
    Are we not getting podcast this week?  Only LWJ&A is listed as coming soon.
  • DoubleT said: A_Ron_Hubbard said:The old fashioned line made me so happy, as did Nick Offerman offering to draw down on Hanzee. I found the episode as a whole incredibly sad. What with Lou and Betsy, Floyd and Otto, even Ed and Peggy was sad in the context of Lou's excellent war analogy. All these people's lives are about to get so dark and depressing, and I suppose I'll find it entertaining in the end but in the moment I'm blue.

"Simone Gerhardt gives
    Mike Milligan and the Kitchen Brothers two thumbs up!"
    ksa1001Travis

• UnderwoodUnderwood Philadelphia, PA
    I've said this every week already, and I know that I'll be saying it again. This show is impeccable. The story, acting, scenery... All at the very top of the game. This episode really stared connecting a lot of the dots, even though we already had a general idea. One thing I don't think anyone has a clue about is where the UFO stuff plays in. I'm loving that once per episode were seeing different characters have interactions with it. 
    Elisasteph_bAshleyRaiyneTravis
    "The mouse lady had kind eyes"
  • edited November 2015
    A_Ron_Hubbard Just listened to the podcast and as always its awesome, although I do find it funny that in EVERY series with a cop, you always have a dirty cop theory.  Did a cop touch you as a kid? lol  It never ceases to amuse me, especially since its rarely the case, at least lately.  Never change!
  • Carl-0268Carl-0268 Kathleen, GA
    I watched 1st season of Leftovers and never went back but Fargo is the best show on television! No doubt! I mean jeeze....
    ElisaRaiyne
    Haha, I'd say I have a healthy distrust of authority.
    Toadie
    edited November 2015
    In the podcast the mention the UFO deal. That is based on a story from that area that happened to a cop. I heard about this from a Fargo podcast by NPR called Aw Jeez. It's pretty good.
    steph_bTravis
  • chrisk Indianapolis
    edited November 2015
    A couple of Coen notes:

That doctors office scene with Lou and Betty is shot very similar to the one in Raising Arizona where Ed and Hi find out she's "barren." They're not sitting the same way, but it's shot with them looking into the camera, then the doc, then them. Not a very common technique outside of Jonathan Demme movies, though they also do it a lot on The Good Wife.

The slow tracking shot down the hallway almost right after that is of course very Barton Fink.

I wonder if Ed hadn't already lost his shot at the butcher shop, would he have come as close to cracking? Peggy still has her course to look forward to.
    hypergenesbElisasteph_b
  • This show is my favorite on TV right now.  Someone has probably already pointed this out, but it just dawned on me that the Karl and Sonny characters (Nick Offerman and Dan Beirne) are totally an homage to John Goodman/Steve Buscemi characters in Big Lebowski.

steph_b
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited November 2015
    Listened to the podcast about the doctor and the placebo drug for breast cancer:

Even in the late 1970s (definitely today), I believe the clinical trials were run as novel therapy versus standard of care, not necessarily placebo.  Now, if there wasn't anything to do for someone with metastatic breast cancer, then what they showed would have been accurate.  But they likely would have tried conventional chemotherapy, trials either would have been new drug vs. standard of care chemotherapy (not blinded) or new drug + sham chemotherapy vs. placebo drug + real chemotherapy (to try to keep the blind in place) or new drug + real chemotherapy vs. placebo drug + real chemotherapy (if they were looking for an additive effect).

The best example of this I can think of was years ago now when they did a study of knee surgeries for standard osteroarthritis.  One side of the trial got the real washout, the other side just had the arthroscopic holes placed but no actual surgery done, to preserve the blinding  The trial showed no benefit to actually having surgery. 

BTW- the drug they're using may well be modelled on tamoxifen, a linchpin of breast cancer treatment:

DeeDaveyMac
  • Awesome show for me still.
    I haven't listened to podcast yet but....
    So Hanzee examines the diner. Clock on the wall says 7:10 (clock ticking). He goes outside, finds the glass, looks to the trees and sky...UFOs ? His watch shows three (3) hours later, 10:10.

Anyone else notice this?
    Abduction?
    Elisa
  • That doctor was full of shit right? I couldn't believe they didn't question it when the doctor jumped right to some experimental therapy when another doctor told them she was probably going to be okay. What happens when Lou finds out this doctor works for the drug company or is being paid to get people to sign up for this study?
    NikkiPElisa
    @Walkthesky the time jump was based on a real life account of a UFO sighting. A police officer who was from that region saw a UFO and noted a time shift.
    Elisa