Rick and Morty

Got turned on to Rick and Morty from one of the podcasts and this is probably the funniest cartoon since early Futurama. I'm hooked. Making my way through the first season now. Favourite episode so far is the inception episode with Scary Terry. But to be honest they are all good. Anyone who hasn't seen it I would recommend it. Especially if you would like to see a more adult version of Futurama.
Brawn

Comments

• It's been on my list for a while. Just haven't gotten around to it. I've heard excellent things, though.
    Hatorian
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Yeah, it is really great. It scratches my Dan Harmon itch now that Community is done.
    Hatorian
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    It's utterly fantastic. Dan Harmon and Justin Roiland writing, so your in good hands. Has the same mixture Community had of comedy, heart and smarts. And I think the fact these two are writing for an animated show lets them go wild with scenarios and characters - the creativity and sci-fi concepts are pretty incredible in this show. 

Off the top of my head some memorable episodes (because there is not a bad one) is the first episode from season 1, "A Rickle in Time" -  dimensions get ripped in two, then three, then four, and so on. "Total Rickall" is a great one too. The concepts on this show are genius, think this is easily my favorite sci-fi show on right now. Doctor Who can suck it. (sorry, Doctor Who I love you but don't even hold a candle)
    HatorianBrawn
  • They got some great guest voices as well. Pretty sure I heard John Oliver and Key from Key and Peele.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Yeah, I'm going to try to get Jim to see the first three episodes or so this week. More people need to see this show. It's as brilliant as it is funny.
    Hatorian said:

They got some great guest voices as well. Pretty sure I heard John Oliver and Key from Key and Peele.

John Oliver would make sense because of his appearances on Community. What I really like about it is you can tell Harmon got frustrated with the barriers that live-action shows presented. You could start to see it emerge with how crazy Community got. Its like he knew animation was the best fit for his humor.
  • Yeah, I'm going to try to get Jim to see the first three episodes or so this week. More people need to see this show. It's as brilliant as it is funny. </blockquote

The inception episode is episode 2 I think. If that doesn't hook him then there is something wrong with him. Bitch!

ksa1001
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited November 2015
    Given the alternate reality theme of the show and the fact that one of the writers has my name, Justin. I could see a better alternative me writing this cuz it's totally my humour. ;)
  • I love Rick & Morty it's got to be one my favourite shows out there at the minute. 

The dark humour ,the fact they don't shy away from strong scientific/Moral themes and the way it's able hit the emotional notes pretty perfectly, I can't say enough good things about it. 

Without trying to be a Rick & Morty Hipster, i started a thread on it a little while ago, thought it worth linking

Jovial_FalconHatorian
    edited November 2015
    Sorry man! I should have searched!
  • FlashGordonFlashGordon Leeds, UK
    edited November 2015
    @Hatorian No worries man, might as well keep this thread alive as it's the most recent discussion, just figured it'd be worth tying in the old one. The more threads on this show the better IMO :).

But yeh the Mr Meeseeks episode was the first that really made me sit up and think, shit this is brilliant

Hatorian
    I agree, it's hard to beat the Meeseeks episode both for hilarity and high concept.  My favorite part is when the first Meeseeks summons the second, and the second asks, "Is he keeping his shoulders square."  "Ooooh, he's trying!"  Always gets a laugh.  I also enjoy the Council or Ricks episode, and the one where he creates an entire universe to power his car, the resolution of which is pretty brilliant. 
    edited November 2015
    Yes! I love the car episode where it "must keep summer safe". And it goes all crazy killer robot on the aliens and scaring them with melting their little kids.

Another good one I watched last night was the parasite episode. Beth shoots Mr Poopypants thinking he was fake but ends up he is real and part of the 6. Awesome.
    Kela15
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Wubalub dubdub I love this show! Lawnmower Dog might still be my favorite. But The Council of Ricks episode and the parasite episode where we met our old chum Mr Poopybutthole are damn good too! I can't wait until season 3!
    Hatorian
  • Just finished season one last night.  I liked the council of Ricks episode the best just because of the way it changed my perspective on the Rick / Morty relationship.  So messed up.  Poor Morty.
    Murderbear
  • dumb rick and jerrys relationship in the council episode is gold as well.
    Murderbear
  • Thanks for the heads up, just started watching, loving it so far.
    HatorianFlashGordonMurderbearAdmount
  • ArctorArctor The Netherlands
    edited November 2015
    Keep Summer Safe was probably my favorite moment in R&M. That and Lil' Bits "eat some f*cking shit you stupid f*cking bitch! hahaha just kidding".

Oh and of course the 'get all your shit together' speech. How could I forget about that one.
  • AdmountAdmount Denton, Texas
    I think my favorite has to be the episode with David Cross where they're locked in a simulated reality. It has my favorite Jerry side story, and the exchange with the toaster house gets me going every time.
    tristan
    Just re-watched the "Keep Summer Safe", and it was indeed awesome.  I love the ship's response to Summer's complaining about it's defense protocols.  "My instructions were to 'Keep Summer Safe', not, 'keep Summer super thrilled about, like, the general vibe.  That's what you sound like.  That's how you talk." in that totally matter of fact GlaDDOS voice kills me.  
    Hatorian
  • Also really loved the end of Rick Potion #9 (I think it's that one), where Morty is traumatized by assuming the life of his dead self in another universe.  Apparently my favorites are the ones that crush Morty's psyche into the dirt.... interesting.

This thread is also the perfect example of why we don't podcast about comedies.
    Jovial_FalconA_Ron_HubbardHatorianAdmount
    That ending was so disturbing, Jim. I loved it.
  • @Jim great point on the coverage.

I've passed this on to a bunch of friends and each one has went through both seasons in a couple days.

It's so much better than a family guy or normal schlock on adult swim. I wouldn't have given it a shot if it wasn't for the recommendation from @A_Ron_Hubbard so thanks man!
  • FlashGordonFlashGordon Leeds, UK
    edited November 2015
    Yeh I love all the earth shattering moments for Morty, he gets his great moments though, two that spring to mind is the purge episode, when he gets a bit too into the purging, also in the 'keep summer safe episode' when he becomes the leader of the tree people.
    o man and in that same episode when he's in the last teenyverse and he's like "one time rick shot me right through my hand with a laser beam, old lady science...ya gotta hold on tight, 'cause she bucks pretty hard."

As for depressing endings, how good was the Rick ending when Unity breaks up with him.
    Woo hoo, R&M wasn't supposed to be back until 2017, but it looks like they not only managed to push that up to 2016, but also do 14 episodes as well. The link and video are below along with the news.

http://nerdist.com/season-3-of-rick-and-morty-will-air-in-2016-ooo-weee/

"

At the end of Rick and Morty‘s
    second season finale, everybody’s favorite character, Mr.
    Poopybutthole, told us we’d have to wait probably a year and a half (or
    longer) to get the next season. We had no reason to doubt the always
    truthful and totally-always-real-and-in-the-show Poopybutthole, and
    given the long time between seasons one and two, a rough return date of
    April 2017 made sense. (Sigh.) But at a recent panel for the show at
    Magic City Con, co-creator Dan Harmon assured the world that we’d actually be getting the show back a lot sooner—and with a longer season to boot!

During the panel, Harmon made mention of the series coming back at
    the end of this year (2016, obvs) which was met with raucous cheers from
    the attendees. This led to Harmon, ever the ray of sunshine, countering
    “You guys do realize we’re at the beginning of this year?”

Harmon also made mention of this next season having 14 episodes,
    longer than either of the previous seasons, which ran 11 and 10,
    respectively. “Is there any press here?” Harmon asked. “Nobody blog
    about this. We’re doing 14 episodes this year.”

You can see the whole panel below, but the passage in question begins around 10:24.

So not only will we be getting more Rick and Morty in this
    calendar year, but we’ll also be getting around 30-40% more episodes!
    Nothing about what will happen in the season has been shared, nor how
    the writers might resolve the cliffhanger—which had Rick finally
    imprisoned for his galactic crimes—but the scripts are in and principle
    voice recording has already begun.

Rick and Morty‘s popularity skyrocketed in the last year,
    including the second season, owing to strong word of mouth and easily
    viewed episodes online. It’s not only one of the most gut-bustingly
    hilarious show on TV, it’s also got the best and most consistently smart
    science fiction concepts since Futurama. We want all the Rick and Morty! All of it! Right now! Give it! Wubba-lubba dub dub!

What’s your favorite Rick and Morty episode, and who’s your
    favorite side character? (Is it Abradolf Lincler, or Ghost in a Jar?)
    Let us know in the comments below!"

Jovial_Falcon