505 - "Room Service"

A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
edited November 2015 in American Horror Story
Director: Michael Goi
Writer: Ned Martel

Comments

• HeffHeff Connecticut
    Alex continues her campaign for the "shittiest fictional mother ever," especially after having started the fucking vampocalypse!

Crazy how fast that little psycho managed to figure out what to do as a vampire with absolutely NO instruction whatsoever... I'm sure a flock of miniature vampires running around uncontrolled won't be ANY kind of problem!

This show is awesome.
    ElisaTaraC73
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Alex, what the fuck? You're not even trying to be a character.
    MichelleHeffduncanpowersElisa
  • HeffHeff Connecticut
    edited November 2015
    "Marginal psyche eval"...... Nomnomnomnomnom!

The obnoxious hipsters got exactly what was coming to them, and it was glorious.

Liz Taylor with the added backstory just might be the best character this show's ever had. "Scorch the earth before you." Fuck yeah.
    James1995MichelleKingKobraNikkiPElisaReni
  • Oh hell yeah Liz Taylor back story :D. Good episode thus far except for Alex of course.
    HeffMichelleElisa
  • I'm guessing that was John's serial killer double personality that was having sex with Sally. That's why he can't remember.
    MichelleElisa
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited November 2015
    Yaassssssssss!   This is the episode I've been waiting for!   Liz's backstory wasn't what I thought it would be.  That's not a bad thing.  I somehow had it in my mind that she came to the hotel and was either turned or had some affiliation with another cast member which then kept her trapped at the hotel lo these many years.  But I was happy to see her transformation and to see the buildup of confidence to live her most honest life, authentic to who she really is.   And then to build it up in Iris?  Even better.  I love that there is this message of 'be who you are, don't live a lie, don't live in fear or shame, go out and be fabulous and don't take any shit'.  That is exactly how life should be lived, in my opinion.   My *one* thing (if I had to have a thing) that seemed off about this storyline is that it seemed a tiny bit out of character for the Countess to be less murder-y and more 'I'm gonna help you be fierce, Miss Thing'.  But it worked and it actually endeared her to me a bit.

I was glad to see Iris get her sense of self.  I wasn't surprised that it happened after she had absolutely been pushed to her limit with the two obnoxious guests.  But seeing her take out the rage that had been pent up for so long and to be screaming "I matter!!!", even though it was while she was stabbing that guy, made me glad for her.  Now she can live without feeling like she is unseen and unheard.  "I never learned how to live until I died."

I feel like Liz and Iris together are like a superduo of underdogs who could take over the world - or at least, the world around them.  Go scorch the damn earth before you, indeed.

Side note:  totally true portrayal of two middle-age white men from one of the square states in the under-educated and overly-phobic '80s.  I was worried that they were going to beat Liz down when they confronted her at his hotel room door after finding her strolling down the hall in the hose, slip, heels, and fur.  I was glad to see that didn't happen.

Re: John - it's becoming clear that he has blackout moments when he gets drunk, and these darker sides of him happen in those moments.  Sleeping with Sally is definitely a dark moment.   I think it's so entirely likely that his blackout moments include murder.  As the theory goes, that's why he's been able to survive staying in room 64, it's why he was a participant in the serial killers dinner, etc.  @Heff , you're onto something.

ElisaTaraC73
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    edited November 2015
    The hipster couple are watching the news when Iris knocks on the door, but they change the channel when she comes in. What they flip to is Suspiria, the first film in Dario Argento's Three Mothers trilogy (Suspiria, Inferno, La Terza Madre). The Three Mothers are 3 ancient and evil witches called the Mother of Sighs, the Mother of Darkness, and the Mother of Tears. 

Central to each movie is a building, each building in a different city and home to a different Mother.  Each of the women, in the 19th century, commissioned an architect to design them a home that, like the Cortez, is vile and cursed and full of evil spirits. It's a cool tip of the hat not only because of the haunted house similarity, or because AHS shares Argento's visual flair for gore, but because of the central idea of three mothers who rule the world. They are the villains of the trilogy and each is killed at the end of her movie. I think it's pretty obvious who the Three Mothers are at the Cortez: Iris, Elizabeth, and Alex.

I think now as we get close to the halfway point, we see Elizabeth at the height of her powers, with Alex as her servant but also there has to be a rivalry that develops. Elizabeth already felt it necessary to bare her teeth and threaten Holden to keep Alex in line, and that's not gonna hold forever. Add to that Iris, immortal and all of a sudden giving zero fucks, and those are 3 powerful Mothers that will become the tentpoles of the rest of the season. (At least until episode 10 when they always kill off all the villains, inexplicably.)

Lastly, I do not get the Alex hate. I didn't think there was anything creepy about how much she loved Holden, I understood why she still hasn't told John that she found Holden, and I think Chloe Sevigny is doing as well as she can with a character who is admittedly underdeveloped but not at all unsympathetic. 
    HeffA_Ron_HubbardNikkiPElisatristanTaraC73
  • HeffHeff Connecticut
    @Frakkin T cool information about the Three Mothers stuff, that was a nice catch. You must be personally familiar with the movies to make that connection!

With regards to Alex being awful, it's because of how irrational she is, and the terrible decisions she makes constantly.

She forgets she has a daughter, AT ALL. She hasn't mentioned Scarlet in what, two episodes? She even said in a monologue that she never loved Scarlet, only Holden. Alex also hides the fact that she saw/found Holden from Jon, when she was literally on the same floor as his hotel room, then took the kid home without contacting the police. She still does nothing about the fact that he kills their dog, and is clearly not normal.

After being turned (another shitty idea, as this episode displays,). Alex then "saves" the anti-vaxxer kid by turning him and giving him or his parents NO information whatsoever about the vampirism even though she had already been told about the blood hunger, and needed to feed before she could save him in the first place. This action directly leads to the creation of ~15 vampires, and several deaths. Bet the Countess is furious when she finds out.

It's not a matter of bad acting on Chloe's part, Alex is just a terrible person. I'd love to hear your take on why she's not that bad, though!
    Elisa
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    edited November 2015
    Loved all the Liz Taylor stuff, but my question is, seeing as the character was neither killed nor 'turned' by Gaga, why does she not look a day older than the scenes in 1984? Is this just bad continuity or is there a further reveal to come?

The vampocalypse was kind of fun to watch, but in my mind it just adds another dimension to a messy multi-plot story that hasn't totally found its feet yet even five episodes in, though it was clever to have Angela Bassett chastising Matt Bomer for being reckless the very scene before Alex throws caution to the wind and infects the boy in the hospital.

As for John and Sally, still don't give a crap, which is sad because Sarah Paulson is one of the best actresses the show has and she is being criminally misused.

• HeffHeff Connecticut
    amyja89 said:

As for John and Sally, still don't give a crap, which is sad because Sarah Paulson is one of the best actresses the show has and she is being criminally misused.

You don't think they're using her to gradually reveal the split personality/psychosis/TCK side of Jon the various theories are hinting at? I think what we're going to end up with is whether Jon chooses Sally/Crazy Jon over Scarlet/Cop Jon. I'm personally enjoying seeing Sarah Paulson play differently than she's played the last four seasons, since she's never been an outright villainous kind of character before.
    Elisa
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    Heff said:

amyja89 said:

You don't think they're using her to gradually reveal the split personality/psychosis/TCK side of Jon the various theories are hinting at? I think what we're going to end up with is whether Jon chooses Sally/Crazy Jon over Scarlet/Cop Jon. I'm personally enjoying seeing Sarah Paulson play differently than she's played the last four seasons, since she's never been an outright villainous kind of character before.
    Oh sure, I get her purpose, I just don't like that such a talented actress is being essentially used a foil for Jon's plot line, perhaps I'm biased because I find the 10 Commandments Killer stuff the least interesting out of everything in the show.

I can't help but sigh when I watch Chloe Sevigny doing a terrible job as Alex and getting significant screen time, whilst Sarah Paulson gets just a few minutes every other episode doing the same thing over and over again. Would have been happier if they'd had been cast in each other's roles.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    edited November 2015
    @amyja89, yeah, that's my sole concern for Liz, she hasn't aged a day in 30 years.  I mean, maybe she was supposed to, and the glam makeup is getting in the way, but I dunno.  Hoping there is more to the story.  Also, my ongoing concern for the protagonists of the AHS shows I've seen is they are so morally ambiguous.  If all of Elizabeth/Iris/whomever's victims were like the douches tonight, that would be one thing, but it's hard to be all like "go Liz!" when we see a lot of decent people being butchered along the way.  

I know, I know, it's a horror show, but it muddies the messages a bit.  Anyway, if Liz were turned or somehow less/more than human, I'd understand the detachment a bit more.  Or maybe she's just crazy loyal to Gaga.  I guess that could explain it too.  Something isn't clicking with me.
    Elisa
    Liz is dead; that's why she doesn't age and we've never seen her in present day outside the hotel. I'm sure we'll get that reveal soon.
    Elisa
  • I think Liz is dead also. Last episode she seemed to be in 3 places at once - serving Wes Bently a drink, manning the front desk to give him his invitation, and leaving a suit in his room even though she didn't have advance knowledge that he was invited to Devil's Night. All of this seemed to happen concurrently.
    Elisa
  • The measles kid story continues to be something I don't need. He passed the measles on to all his classmates - for what purpose other than the anti-vaxxer angle? Alex's blood cured him before he turned any of those kids, so why would they get it? How does he know to cut, not bite? No one told him. That was just a complete mess.

Was very excited to get Liz Taylor back story. His acting was great. Liked the commentary on the invisibility of an older woman and Kathy Bates' performance. Those two performances plus an Angela Bassett appearance elevated the episode.
    Elisa
    edited November 2015
    SPOILER:  Highlight over the blank space below in order to see it.   This is in regard to Liz Taylor's upcoming story.

In an interview recently posted (can't remember with whom - sorry!) Denis O'Hare says that he has a sex scene in an upcoming episode, and that it is with a younger, hotter person than himself.  He doesn't say if it's male or female.
    Elisa
    Frakkin T said:

Liz is dead; that's why she doesn't age and we've never seen her in present day outside the hotel. I'm sure we'll get that reveal soon.

But Liz knew that the nearest ATM was in the drugstore at the corner, "next to the maxi-pads".  How would she know that unless she had been able to leave the hotel?  I doubt that she called the drugstore and obtained that info.

@Michelle good point, but I could think of half a dozen explanations for Liz to know that even tho she is dead. It could just be a bit of info she picked up from being in the hotel for 30 years.
    Elisa
    Frakkin T said:

@Michelle good point, but I could think of half a dozen explanations for Liz to know that even tho she is dead. It could just be a bit of info she picked up from being in the hotel for 30 years.

Did they have ATM's 30 years ago?
    Maybe it's a question they get all the time, and it's something Iris told her. I think you've got a piece of evidence that Liz is not dead, but it's far from a smoking gun that proves it. (Of course, my assertion that she is dead isn't proven yet either. It's just what I think. We'll have to wait and see.)
    Oh don't get me wrong, I think there's something more to her than meets the Cleopatra-lined eye. 
    Why stick around the hotel for so long simply because Lady Gaga helped you become your true self?
    No, there's something else we haven't been shown.  I can't wait to find out.  :)
    Elisa
  • HeffHeff Connecticut
    I wonder if Liz Taylor is actually that really creepy man-bride with a retainer that we see in the opening credits? Maybe the current look is only an illusion?
    Elisa
  • I feel like I was hit over the head with the vaccination message. Vaccinate your kid or they'll kill you and all their teachers before feasting on your blood.

I loved seeing Liz's back story of course, but hearing Gaga say all that about woman's blood and divas screaming felt like a cameo from Lady Gaga instead of Lady Gaga acting as Countess Elizabeth. Like did they right that scene because of the "Born This Way" message Gaga espouses? It is certainly an uplifting message, but now I see Liz as one of her little monsters.

Seems @heff is right about John. Blackout sex with Sally points to him as the Ten Commandments Killer.

Even with my complaints, Hotel is already much better than Freak Show.

Elisa
  • HeffHeff Connecticut
    NikkiP said:

The measles kid story continues to be something I don't need. He passed the measles on to all his classmates - for what purpose other than the anti-vaxxer angle? Alex's blood cured him before he turned any of those kids, so why would they get it?

I don't know much about measles, but it's possible he's a carrier for the disease anyway. I caught Mono back in high school, and even though it doesn't make me sick anymore, I technically still carry the disease. So if he's got the measles virus/bacteria in his blood, and the other kids are ingesting that, could that be how it's being passed on? I thought it was a really cool horror scene anyway, and I'm interested to see what repercussions the vampocalypse is going to have.
    NikkiP
  • @Heff, very good point about him being a carrier. Thanks.
  • @Cecily Zodiac is far from the worst movie ever, I've never heard anyone express that before. I thought the consensus was it was the best movie Fincher has ever made. Maybe some people were turned off by the fact that they don't give a clear answer to who the killer was but I'm not sure what they were expecting in that case. If you're a true crime fan you should definitely check it out, it was on Netflix for a long time so it might still be there.
  • manhattnikmanhattnik the big apple
    Doesn’t it seem likely that the Glamvirus became “weaponized” when combined with Measles Kid’s measles? So we have a funky airborne Glampire Virus wafting around LA now? That would explain how the whole damn class of kiddies got infected so quickly, no?
    Elisa