506 - "Room 33"

Director: Loni Peristere
Writer: John J. Gray

Comments

• HeffHeff Connecticut
    edited November 2015
    Looks like Ramona really was the "previous caretaker" that The Countess mentioned.

Is it just me, or is the show starting to set up battle lines, with some characters on the Countess' side, and others against her?

"You can break their minds" WHERE THE FUCK IS THIS COMING FROM, ALEX? I'm pretty sure they just spin a roulette wheel for each episode to determine what Kind of Alex we're going to see.

Have we ever seen Jon's supposed police scanner? I don't think we have. He also jumped pretty quickly to that answer when the other detective asked why he was there. "I can be a help" is super ambiguous!

I wonder who it is that they have in custody, though - a new character? We've seen everybody this episode, I believe.

John_NadaA_Ron_HubbardElisamanhattnik
  • edited November 2015
    So, as an anesthesiologist, I have to call bullshit (said in A.Ron's Darryl Dixon voice) on John's wife, a supposed MD, "put(ting) him out for a couple of hours" with 2 mg of Versed. This drug is routinely used for pre-op anxiolysis (reduces anxiety) at this dose. As I tell my patients, it's like guzzling a double martini. You probably won't remember what happens over the next hour, but you will be awake when it happens . And in someone who regularly drinks, the dose requirement for Versed goes up. Depending on how much and how frequently John has been drinking recently, that 2 mg dose may not hit him any more strongly than a beer. Seriously, I know she's a pediatrician and may be used to dosing kids, but don't these writers have even an acquaintance with medical knowledge that they can run these things by? Sorry, professional pet peeve

As an aside, go Liz Taylor!!!
    John_NadaElisaJJ_Borden
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    Had to pause 20 seconds in because MURDER HOUSE!
    MichelleUnderwoodA_Ron_HubbardElisamanhattnikTaraC73
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited November 2015
    LIZ AND TRISTAN?!?!?!?!????????  Wait, what..but..and..what..when..but...huh???????
    When did this start?  How did this start?  It must have been going on for a while if they're in love...?  So what does this mean?  The Countess will find out and she'll break it off with Tristan, he and Liz can be together, then Liz is public enemy #1 with the Countess?

I'll have more later after the episode is over, but holy crap!

Btw, love the use of "One Caress" in these scenes.  I'm a huge Depeche Mode fan (my favorite band since about '85).  I can't think of too many other shows or even movies that use their music.

John_NadaElisa
    Frakkin T said:

Had to pause 20 seconds in because MURDER HOUSE!

Yes!!!!!
    ElisamanhattnikJohn_Nada
    edited November 2015
    Alex, you god damn child abandoning bitch!
    I feel *so* bad for Scarlet.  How can a mother not call her daughter for two days, then watch her sit in the back of a patrol car scared out of her mind and decline the offer to even speak with her? 
    BITCH.
    Frakkin TElisa
    edited November 2015
    @Michelle I think maybe we learned this week that Liz is actually alive? Ghosts don't get gender reassignment surgery.
    MichelleElisaJohn_NadamanhattnikTaraC73
    edited November 2015
    I just saw the scene where Elizabeth asks Liz if she wants to have the surgery.  So yeah, I guess Liz is flesh & blood.
    Elisa
    !Zombie baby, quick somebody tell @Jim
    MichelleJohn_NadamanhattnikTaraC73
  • Man I'm getting an It's Alive feeling from this episode. I was pretty young when I saw that movie for the first time and it really freaked me out.
    Elisa
    John_Nada said:

Man I'm getting an It's Alive feeling from this episode. I was pretty young when I saw that movie for the first time and it really freaked me out.

Very 80s vibe tonight, especially the scoring in some places
    MichelleJohn_NadaElisa
  • Yep definitely It's Alive...I knew it! Creepy.
    Elisa
    I'm seriously going to have to buy this season's soundtrack when it's out.
    Do they even make a soundtrack for this show?
    Elisa
  • Heff said:

"You can break their minds" WHERE THE FUCK IS THIS COMING FROM, ALEX? I'm pretty sure they just spin a roulette wheel for each episode to determine what Kind of Alex we're going to see.

Either that or maybe a dart board or even drawing personalities from a hat? It's making me crazy.
    manhattnik
    Second watch time!

I thought for sure that it would be Infantata in room 33, especially since we revisited the murder house. 
    But now that I know what it actually is, it's just as freaky.  Where are they going with this? 
    I feel like I've missed some useful information.  Have they talked about room 33 before or its resident?  I don't recall, if so.
    Another thought, going back to the Murder House season... did Dr. Montgomery turn more than Thaddeus and Bartholomew into monsters? 

Liz in love is just *everything*.  I love her love story, but I was so shocked!  It came out of nowhere!  But I was happy for her. 
    I did hate Elizabeth for her killing of Tristan.  To be so callous that you can't allow anyone else to have your current boy toy, especially your proven ride or die loyal follower, the one who you helped to flourish into her real self?   Cold hearted and cruel.  She may have just turned into the second most hated person on the show just behind Alex.  Has she just drawn the line in the sand?

And speaking of Alex...did I not make my feelings clear earlier?  Despise.  DESPISE this woman.  I will say this, at least we saw a new hairdo on her.  Not that it was a good hairdo.   They need to get Laverne Cox in there with her prison style hair salon and get this woman's hair right, because it's just a hot old mess right now.  And just how the hell is she the expert, 2 days in, on how as a ghost you can f***k with someone and "break their minds"?

I like that they haven't forgotten about the Swedish girls.  Nice continuity there.  So basically, all who die in this hotel, whether it be by their own hand or someone else's, comes back as a ghost to haunt for eternity?   Speaking of, where was Sally this week?  Also, I could swear I've seen their hookup dude before.  He looks awfully familiar.  I was kind of surprised that he freaked out about the second girl showing up in the room and wanting to do a 3some.  Wouldn't most guys be into that?  But he automatically went to "this is a scam, screw this, I'm out"?   Although really, he kind of was right, so... whatever.

John Snow and the Swedish girls... whose blood was he covered with?  They weren't bleeding from anywhere, he wasn't cut, so wtf?  And then when he's at the house with Scarlet and is breaking down... I think we'll see him start to really spiral further and further in the next episode or two.  Hopefully he's revealed as the TCK before long so we can move that story along.

Ramona and Donovan and Iris.  First, I love turnt Iris.  She's so much better than old Iris.  Turnt Iris has zero fucks to give, and it's about damn time.   So, as @Heff mentioned earlier, it's pretty clear that Ramona's the old caretaker.  This battle between she and Elizabeth is going to be epic.  I am fearful though that Matt Bomer will be a casualty in all of this, and he's just too pretty to die.  :(

With all this said, this is one of the best episodes of the season so far!
    UnderwoodElisa
    @Michelle the Swedish girl who got her throat cut made herself bleed from the slit throat the Countess gave her. Kinda like when Sally ground her teeth down to scare the kid.
    ElisaMichelle
  • "John somehow found the coffins..."

Um, because everybody on this show has found that room. Gaga needs better security for her little monsters.
    Elisa
  • I'm not buying that Liz is dumb enough to seek Gaga's blessing re: Tristan. I know why they want me to believe it - she's in love! - but she's a very savvy and quick-witted person, and she's been knowing Gaga for decades. She knows better.
  • UnderwoodUnderwood Philadelphia, PA
    edited November 2015
    That was actually an enjoyable episode from start to finish! Great opening bringing us back to Murder House. Oh and @NikkiP we all know love makes us do crazy things.. "It is the things we love most that destroy us".
    We also heard Liz tell Gaga that shes only has "so much time left" or something like that ( pretty much locking up that she's a normal human ).

Elisa
  • HeffHeff Connecticut
    Frakkin T said:

@Michelle the Swedish girl who got her throat cut made herself bleed from the slit throat the Countess gave her. Kinda like when Sally ground her teeth down to scare the kid.

in the act, one of them was bleeding from her eye sockets as well.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    For the SP fans among us:  Sarah Paulson dancing to the opening theme of GoT:  
    MichelleNathanTaraC73
    Heff said:

Frakkin T said:

I totally missed that then!  Thanks both of you for filling me in.  :)

edited November 2015
    Michelle said:

Heff said:

Frakkin T said:

I didn't catch the eye sockets either--that shit is ACES!
    manhattnik
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    Cannot get over the terrible lack of continuity care with Liz's ageing process. The character must have been 40-45 at least in the 1984 scenes, so in current day the Liz Taylor we know and love should look at least 70 which Russell Eddington certainly does not! I was happy to see Liz get some true love, but honestly I didn't buy that she would have fallen for Tristan, I think I could have done with some more build up to the romance rather than it playing in 50 minutes.

Got really excited about the ep when I saw the Murder House at the beginning, but I actually found it to be one of the most unintelligible so far, with the majority of the narrative focused on the rules of leaving the hotel and finding a purpose that I don't feel ever really got explained. You have to find a 'purpose', whatever that means, and then you can leave the hotel but you can't really leave? Who knows.

I'm finding that I'm missing the presence of Jessica Lange more than ever at the moment.
  • So... she got pregnant after she was turned or she was turned while pregnant? And why didn't her husband know? Was there a war on?
    amyja89 said:

Got really excited about the ep when I saw the Murder House at the beginning, but I actually found it to be one of the most unintelligible so far, with the majority of the narrative focused on the rules of leaving the hotel and finding a purpose that I don't feel ever really got explained. You have to find a 'purpose', whatever that means, and then you can leave the hotel but you can't really leave? Who knows.

I don't think that "having a purpose" means anything more than "having something to do so you don't get bored out of your ghost-mind"
    Elisa
  • Did anyone else think the first scene with Tristan and Liz was a dream? It came out of no where, and the dialogue was so cheesy romance. As it continued, I really thought it was Liz's fantasy. But then when he got that text from Gaga, I was so surprised. So I'm not sure if that's a positive or a negative?

And Murder House? Yaaas! I kind of expected to see an infantata creature too, @michelle. I was really nervous the whole episode to see Bartholomew. That was much scarier than what we actually got. The reveal was a letdown for me.

And I agree with everyone's thoughts on Alex. I don't buy that she would come up with a plan to mind fuck John. Makes no sense.
  • manhattnikmanhattnik the big apple
    Alex is a bitch. I’d totally believe she’d be into mind-fucking her husband. 
  • Alex is a bitch. I’d totally believe she’d be into mind-fucking her husband. 

Yeah I buy that she might do it herself but I don't believe her long game to drive him crazy. Just seems out of left field.

NikkiPmanhattnik
    Frakkin T said:

Michelle said:

Heff said:

Frakkin T said:

I didn't catch the eye sockets either--that shit is ACES!
    I realized on second watch that I completely missed the sex scene. I must have gone to get more water or something. But wow, that scene was creepy!