Official Direct Thread: Kill Bill vol. 1

Consider this your official thread for Kill Bill vol. 1. Favorite moments? Fan theories? References? Lines? Characters? Discuss! 

Comments

• The fight between Beatrix and O-Ren Ishii, and the fight leading up to it, is so amazingly good and has such great setting and music.
    It's one of those rare pieces of cinema I could literally watch over and over again until my eyes bleed.
    pavlovsbellMelia004
  • edited November 2015
    One thing I never found out was whether QT made the call to go black and white(ish) during the last big brawl or was it because of the blood and the studio wanted him too?

Anybody?
  • Oh man I love Kill Bill. It's the movie that started my love of movies. I went back and saw it in theaters 4 times (at 14 luckily I looked like I was in college) which is still the only time I've gone more than once.

As for the movie itself, I love the opening shot and how it slowly fades in and that song is incredible. Shooting the main character in the opening scene was a hell of a hook.

I also really dug the decision to split the movie into parts for each person on the list. Each one had a distinct style and if I remember right all ended in an action scene. I need to go watch this again before the podcast, it's been way too long.
  • One thing I never found out was whether QT made the call to go black and white(ish) during the last big brawl or was it because of the blood and the studio wanted him too?

Anybody?

Yes to get an R rating they had to cut to b&w

There is a Japaneese version of the film that doesn't go to b&w and is a tad longer in that fight sequence.

That and the unrated/director's cut of Scream are some of my favorite bootlegs
    Jovial_Falcon
  • I love Kill Bill vol. 1 and how fluidly Tarantino shifts between various styles. And who else would have the balls to throw an anime sequence right smack into the middle of a live action film?

Here in Japan, both the color version and B&W versions are available, though in theaters I believe they only showed the color version. I wasn't here back then, but my wife was surprised at the B&W shift when she watched the American version with me a few years back. I know he changed it to get an R rating, but I really like the change to B&W. Especially how it changes on her blinking.
    ksa1001AntManBeeMelia004
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    The decision for B&W was to secure a R-rating, but Tarantino said that he intended the switch at the House of Blue Leaves anyway as an homage to Shaw Brothers and director Chang Cheh, specifically.  Cheh is known as the godfather of Hong Kong cinema, and he often switched to B&W for the bloodier sequences.  Shaw Brothers also prepared separate edits for different markets, so Tarantino created a Japanese version of Kill Bill that includes some things we didn't see (e.g., Sophie's other arm chop, The Bride's first encounter with the boy Crazy 88, lots of chopping and spurting), and he super-saturated the color of the Crazy 88s fight as an homage to Japanese films, particularly Seijun Suzuki's delirious yakuza films, Tokyo Drifter andTattooed Life.

Similarly, Tarantino was eager to do an anime sequence, thus O-Ren's origin story was perfect, as the pedophilie scene was uncomfortable enough, forget about live-action.
    DaveyMacksa1001Jovial_FalconMelia004
  • I had a re-watch over the weekend and also watched a short featuruette on my blu-ray, which had some interesting tidbits. Tarantino was in fact, planning on casting a Japanese actor in the role O-Ren, but then he caught Lucy Liu in Shanghai Noon and loved her performance in that and decided to cast her instead. I love that he thought to change her background to make her a more natural fit for the character. Though, her Japanese really isn't believable. That's understandable as I'm sure she had to learn the lines phonetically, but it does break the immersion a bit, given that she's supposed to have grown up in Japan. A lot of my Japanese friends kind of roll their eyes at her delivery of some of the Japanese dialogue. Still, she's so good with the English monologue and her interaction with Uma Thurman that it's easy for me to look past.

The other cool thing from the featurette is that Tarantino just happened to be shopping in a store in Tokyo, when he hear the 5,6,7,8's come on. He ended up buying the cd directly from the store as he knew he wouldn't follow up on it if he didn't. What a crazy stroke of luck for the band.

Another cool thing is that Tarantino used Chinese and Japanese crews as he really wanted to be immersed in the culture and he didn't want to bring a bunch of American crew into these countries when they had crews of their own that could provide input into making a film on their turf. As a result, one of the most important jobs on set was the job of translating between Japanese, Chinese, and English. That must have been quite an experience for all involved.

Lastly, following up with what you guys were saying about Buck on the podcast. That character and his line about fucking is lifted straight out of "Eaten Alive", an old Grindhouse horror film where Freddy Kruger himself is playing Buck. I've never really been into the Grindhouse stuff, but a buddy of mine from college loves all of those films and showed me this one when Kill Bill came out.

One of the things I love about Tarantino, though is that you don't need to get his references to enjoy the work.
  • Oh and there's one more thing I wanted to mention. The sequence where O-Ren takes out the assassins from under the bed reminded me a lot of the "Miller's Crossing" assassination attempt, but I'm sure Tarantino is probably referencing something else as I've never seen him mention the Coens before.
  • I loved the beginning sequence with Vivica Foxx. Pretty way to engage the audience into this movie. I would have liked a little more background of Vivica's character (& O-Ren really). Also the O-Ren and her psychopathic teenage enforcer fights were great. And the music choices were spot on great.
  • BigSmellBigSmell Raleigh, NC
    The 5.6.7.8's kill that shit
  • Wahl-eWahl-e Seattle

I loved the beginning sequence with Vivica Foxx. Pretty way to engage the audience into this movie. I would have liked a little more background of Vivica's character (& O-Ren really). Also the O-Ren and her psychopathic teenage enforcer fights were great. And the music choices were spot on great.

BigSmell said:

The 5.6.7.8's kill that shit

I need to watch this flick again after visiting Tokyo.