207 - "A Most Powerful Adversary"

A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
edited November 2015 in Following The Leftovers
Director: Mimi Leder
Writer: Damon Lindelof & Patrick Somerville

Comments

• kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    edited November 2015
    When Kevin wiped the tear from Jill's eye my tv had weird glitch, did that happen to anyone else? Maybe I am looking to hard for stuff like that in this show.

• broompersonbroomperson the Iron Islands
    HOLY FUCKING BALLS THAT ENDING!
    laure506TravisKingKobraAManIsNoOneksa1001
    edited November 2015
    Bad week to change my profile picture to this pic of Kevin...
    melvislaure506
  • I haven't been that shocked by an ending since breaking bad. So good. I loved the minimalistic "only three episodes left" preview too. Michael saying "holy shit" made me laugh out loud and intrigued me at the same time. This season deserves so much praise
    melvislaure506TravisAManIsNoOne
  • mike3point14159mike3point14159 International Falls MN
    edited November 2015
    Regarding the locksmith that wouldn't get Kevin out of the handcuff because they were police issue. That's like saying the gasoline in police cars is police issue because it was purchased by the police. Anybody can buy handcuffs. http://www.galls.com/smith-wesson-blue-steel-finish-handcuffs?PMSRCE=GA15&gclid=Cj0KEQiA96CyBRDk5qOtp5vz8LkBEiQA6wx8MHcYTyVhaG14RHajRrjukicqsrwpu7mYtbA32iNA0S0aAkCm8P8HAQ

They are basically (legaly, technically?) a strange shaped padlock.

Another thing. Any cop would be able to pick or shim open handcuffs easily. Of course I wouldn't expect a hollywood writer to know that.
    melvis
  • Dude. This show is on a different level. I agree with Michael in saying i haven't been this shocked by an ending to an episode since breaking bad. This was just a masterclass in Acting, Writing, and Directing the whole way through. This show is absolutely insane. I don't even care how Kevin lives. Just put it all in a goblet and let me gulp every last drop! 
    melvisAManIsNoOnebrewseveltAndrew StadlerJosh B.
  • Dude. This show is on a different level. I agree with Michael in saying i haven't been this shocked by an ending to an episode since breaking bad. This was just a masterclass in Acting, Writing, and Directing the whole way through. This show is absolutely insane. I don't even care how Kevin lives. Just put it all in a goblet and let me gulp every last drop! 

Are you saying you think he will live? Are they pulling a Glenn? Are they Glenning us?
  • What a polarizing episode of television. The Leftovers just keeps getting better.

Question time

- Is Kevin gone for good?
    - Why bother with the palm print scene with John if they're going to just kill off Kevin?
    - Why does Michael continue to have his "prayer meetings" with his pedogramps Virgil?
    - Why did Virgil want/need to kill Kevin?
    - Is there more to Virgil killing himself other than guilt?
    - What is the deal with Michael at the end?
    - Where is Tommy?
    - Is/Was Kevin just psychotic after all?
    - Where did Nora go?
    - Is Jill the only sane person on this show?

I'm sure there is more. Love to hear your thoughts and questions.
  • kingbee67 said:

When Kevin wiped the tear from Jill's eye my tv had weird glitch, did that happen to anyone else? Maybe I am looking to hard for stuff like that in this show.

I didn't notice anything strange

There's a big Dantes Inferno connection. Virgil guides Dante down into hell.

It has to be on purpose, having Virgil kill himself and "join" Kevin. I swear to god if the next episode opens up with Virgil and Kevin traveling through the 9 levels of hell...
    jomiha
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    You know what, next episode could be Kevin and Patti locked in a gandalf vs sarumanesque psychic death wizard battle and I'd be TOTALLY down for that. Totally. This show is kicking my ass.
    TravisDummyHollyoaktvollmer89AshleyOceanhypergenesbSOOMOOjomiha
  • melvis said:

Dude. This show is on a different level. I agree with Michael in saying i haven't been this shocked by an ending to an episode since breaking bad. This was just a masterclass in Acting, Writing, and Directing the whole way through. This show is absolutely insane. I don't even care how Kevin lives. Just put it all in a goblet and let me gulp every last drop! 

Are you saying you think he will live? Are they pulling a Glenn? Are they Glenning us?
    Of course he is going to live but then are not going to jerk us around for a bunch of episode. I have faith the writers will do good on their fans. Micheal coming in makes it a tease of whats actually going on. if they just left him "dead" in the trailer they would be glenning us. 
    SOOMOO
  • edited November 2015

There's a big Dantes Inferno connection. Virgil guides Dante down into hell.

It has to be on purpose, having Virgil kill himself and "join" Kevin. I swear to god if the next episode opens up with Virgil and Kevin traveling through the 9 levels of hell...

For any other show, I'd say that'd be too much, no way we could descend to battle Patti together. But it seems this show can handle anything between the acting and the writing. 

Is Virgil somehow connected to the girls' disappearance? Michael seemed awfully calm when they went missing. 
  • They've already set it up. He's like the dude in Australia. He can't die. I've actually been wondering this about him ever since he didn't drown. Now I'm certain. It all comes back to that little news hit. Kevin can't die! Normally a statement like this coming from me would be said with an eye roll, but with this show I'm all in. This is all compelling as he'll!
    AshleyOcean
  • "Hell" stupid auto-correct.
  • Laurie's explanation of Patti was so good. Jill's conversations with Kevin at the house, and her conversation with Michael at the church were also amazing... This cast is just so good.

I'm guessing that Nora is at Matt's old place by the church.

Not sure I can add more to the comments about the ending of the episode but... Wow. I can't get enough of this show.
  • the Laurie and Kevin debate in the motel over if Patti is real or if Kevin is psychotic was basically a conversation Jim and A. Ron had on the pod cast a few weeks ago, that was amazing lol, this show is so good at being self aware about the questions it's asking and handling them in an entertaining and brilliant way. Every episode it answers 5 questions and asks 6 more
    Dummy
    I guess the kid knew that gramps was going to do what he did. When Kevin came I was wondering why the kid was so upset, I thought the worst. When the boy came back he seemed to unfazed by the scene in the house.
    NikkiPbrewsevelt
  • What a polarizing episode of television. The Leftovers just keeps getting better.

Question time

- Is Kevin gone for good?
    - Why bother with the palm print scene with John if they're going to just kill off Kevin?
    - Why does Michael continue to have his "prayer meetings" with his pedogramps Virgil?
    - Why did Virgil want/need to kill Kevin?
    - Is there more to Virgil killing himself other than guilt?
    - What is the deal with Michael at the end?
    - Where is Tommy?
    - Is/Was Kevin just psychotic after all?
    - Where did Nora go?
    - Is Jill the only sane person on this show?

I'm sure there is more. Love to hear your thoughts and questions.

1) doubt it ;)
    2)The palm print was more for Johns character than Kevin.
    3)Michael said it earlier (I believe) he thinks/believes everyone deserves forgiveness if they ask for it.
    4) TBD ;) If you think about it they BOTH hurt people, in very different ways.
    5) doubt it, but you could see it as him finally vanquishing his demons. (He lied to Kevin before)
    6) TBD, my immediate thought was that Kevin was going to be "the bird".
    7) Tommy I believe is off either hiding or doing his "work".
    8) TBD the way the show is playing it, his episodes (as are his father's) are supposed to be ambiguous.
    9) maybe she went next door, or from the looks of it to Matts house.
    10) Jill isn't exactly sane....

NikkiPaki
  • kingbee67 said:

I guess the kid knew that gramps was going to do what he did. When Kevin came I was wondering why the kid was so upset, I thought the worst. When the boy came back he seemed to unfazed by the scene in the house.

Unfazed? He did wince when he saw his grandfather. He also had a very sad look (as he did when he left).
    If I came in the house and gramps had his brains all over the wall. I would freak out.
    AManIsNoOneKingKobra
  • Great stuff as usual.
  • edited November 2015
    kingbee67 said:

If I came in the house and gramps had his brains all over the wall. I would freak out.

That's got to be part of the deal, right? He didn't look like someone surprised by what he saw, but someone that just didn't want to see it. To me that face said " You know....I was told what this place would look like after the gunshot, but this stuff is still freaking gross." The lack of freak out makes me think that his grandfather also told Michael what will happen after he is done doing whatever he's doing to Kevin.

• ClaretoClareto New Zealand
    I'm guessing the cup of poison purposefully looked like a cup of cum like Patty told Kevin to drink earlier in the episode? 

Anyway, AMAZING episode, probably my favourite so far. Interested to see how Tom/Meg all fit into the main story eventually.
    Josh B.
  • I can't even...

this show...

couldn't take my eyes off of it.

• I have no idea why I watch TWD live in lieu of this.

In a perfect world, I would watch The Leftovers 9PM ET on Sunday night and wait patiently for the Jim and A.Ron instacast. 

There's already been a few posts referencing Breaking Bad already and I agree. I haven't felt this good about a TV show since BB. The Leftovers are playing chess while everyone else is still putting their snow suits on.
    tom_g
  • Jordan K.Jordan K. Springfield, IL
    Dear sweet lord...what an episode. Good call on the Dante's Inferno connection, I think we'll definitely see Kevin again. Also, Virgil must have explained what was going to happen to Michael. When Kevin arrived Michael seemed upset, but didn't leave. He just waited outside til it was time to haul Kevin to who knows where. This show is straight 10's across the board right now. 
  • Are the show runners asking us to take a leap of faith? What happens if we bury Kevin in the woods for 3 days? I am obsessed with this show!
  • edited November 2015
    Apart from all the Kevin and Virgil stuff, which is so mindblowing I can't even talk about it... was I the only one immensely disappointed in Nora? I love Nora. She is probably my favorite character on this show. But why did she leave? If she can handle the sleepwalking, and the fact that Kevin kidnapped Patti and she died in his arms, and all the other horrible stuff they went through together, why can't she handle this? She even told Kevin that whatever it was, she could handle it. And I know she can. I fucking KNOW it. She is so down to earth and has practical solutions for everything, I fully expected her to say "Well Kevin, you need to see a therapist, and you need to be on medication, and you need to do this, and you'll be fine."
    Nora is tough as nails and I'm not buying it that mental problems would make her run off like that. Not the Nora we saw so far. So what is going on there?!
    Jim
  • And a smaller thing bugging me somewhat: when Matt was attacked, at the visitor center he was told the Garveys couldn't help him get back inside because they haven't been there 6 months. So how can Kevin get a wristband for Laurie now?