Review - Life is it any good

Life it's literally all we have but is it any good?

So I recently binged this show and loved it. It basically follows one guy reviewing various aspects of life with some hilarious consequences. Just thought I'd share this to see what people thought or to recommend it to anyone that hasn't seen. Not sure if it's been brought up on here already.

Comments

• Hi Tristan, can you tell more about the show? What channel, is it only in UK, etc. Sounds funny.
  • I've only seen the first season but it's pretty great. Andy Daly is one of the funniest people on TV.

@NikkiP It's on Comedy Central. It's a half hour comedy where the host reviews life experiences. The first episode for example has stealing, becoming and addict, and going to prom (it get's a lot crazier/more uncomfortable than that later). It's one of those shows where it's scripted but there's some improv and it's shot like a reality show.
    tristanNikkiP
  • Ye sorry @NikkiP basically what @bizmarkiefader said. Also it's a continuous story centreing around the reviewer Forest, rather than just a series of sketches.
    NikkiP
  • For anybody that listens to Comedy Bang Bang Andy Daly does a lot of the best characters. It's hard not to think of him as Chip Gardner when I hear him talk even on the show.
  • It sounds like it would be right up my alley. I'll check it out.
  • I haven't seen it personally, but Sepinwall and Feinberg both really, really liked it. I think season 2 made both of their yearly top 10s.

I really want a Grizzly Bear sidekick, but Daniel Rossen won't return my phone calls.

• This show is great and it keeps getting better.  Andy Daly is a genius.

If you like this, I highly recommend the Andy Daly Podcast Pilot Project podcast.  He did a season of 8 podcasts each using a different one of his characters to do a "pilot".  

The Duncan Wilcox and Travel Bug podcast episodes are the two funniest podcast episodes I've ever heard.
    tristan
  • @DrKen thank you for the Podcast suggestion. Comedy Bang Bang(or Comedy Death Ray) an improv4humans are the only Earwolf casts I've listened to, so I'm looking forward to his characters. I see James Adomian is in an episode. That guy's Huel Howser and Jesse "The Body" Ventura are ridiculous. That guy is talented as hell.
    Shit, you shoot me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
  • His Jesse Ventura is amazing. I think he might do one on the ADPPP, but not sure.

I'm a huge Matt Gourley fan. His H.R. Giger steals that episode. It makes me sufferings. He does a number of great podcasts.
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    This is an amazing show. I felt like I was the only one watching it in Season 1, so I was pumped when Season 2 was green lit. I think it may be up many Bald Mover's  ally. It is really, REALLY dark, however--so prepare.
    It looks like Review will be returning for a truncated third season. Comedy Central and Andrew Daly want to give the show a proper send off, but aren't agreeing to a full season. It is a bummer to see the show ending, but Review's future was always in serious question, so at least we are getting an ending to this awesome series.

http://www.avclub.com/article/comedy-centrals-review-end-abbreviated-third-seaso-232482
  • Bummer news but at least they get to wrap it up.

And, as much as I love the show, I do have a hard time imagining how they can keep one-upping what they've already done.  I predict he dies in an upcoming "What's it like to be a terrorist?" episode.

It's probably for the best to end it this way.  It was a great run.
  • DrKenDrKen Chicago
    After hearing the guys talk about Andy Daly as the doctor on Silicon Valley, I decided to start a rewatch (which is pretty easy to do since every episode is 20 minutes long).  You can crank through a whole season in about 4 hours.

This show is just as funny the 2nd time through.  It might be funnier.

His "What's it like to be Batman?" segment is hilarious in that it brings all the things he'd done back around.  I love how everything keeps building.

Might be the funniest show on TV.  Sorry to see it ending but, probably for the best.  You can only take it so far.  Can't recommend it more highly.
    Yeah, I'd rather them end on a high note. Its the sign of a good comedy when you pick up on jokes that you didn't even know where there the first time through. It definitely holds up to repeated viewings.
  • DrKenDrKen Chicago
    I was considering this for my next commission but just picking like 4 episodes wouldn't do it justice I don't think.

Each episode is funny, really funny. But, some of the best jokes don't pay off for many episodes or even next season. Those are the ones that make this series genius.

edited May 2016
    Yeah, the most brilliant thing about the show is how it builds and builds. I liked the first episode well-enough. But once you are knee-deep in the season you start to see how they are compounding all the episodes leading to climax in the finale. Not only do each episode's reviews stack upon one another, they stack on the season as a whole. Its really expertly done in that regard. But it does have a shelf life. You couldn't do 10 seasons of this show, so its probably okay that they are finishing it off.
  • DrKenDrKen Chicago
    Returns on Thursday night.  I can't wait.  3rd and final season.

This show is hilarious.  I highly recommend checking it out from the beginning.  It all builds on what happened before.

20 minute episodes - very binge-able.

Murderbear
    Are you serious!? Why have  I heard nothing about this? I mean I knew season 3 was coming of course and that filming had completed, but I had no clue it was coming back on Thursday. @DrKen you just made my day!
    DrKenMurderbear
  • So glad we're getting more Review! "Pancakes, Divorce, Pancakes" might be once of the greatest tv episodes of all time. And I'm not even joking. Here's a nice little compilation that Uproxx did of their favorite "reviews" ahead of the new season.

DrKenMurderbear
    Dumb question...but does anyone know if iTunes does season passes for Comedy Central shows? I was looking on iTunes to buy the season pass for this and couldn't find it. Or do they tend to add this on the premiere date? 
  • He's back! Great to see AJ and Grant too.

"Those 12 people are going to decide if you're a murderer or a self-defense-er."

"I'm off to put a pet to sleep. Meaning, death."

"Well, I deal with grief alone."

So wait, I knew this was going to be a shorter season...but 3 episodes!? Dang thought we'd at least get 6. 
  • DrKenDrKen Chicago
    I thought they hadn't disclosed how many episodes there were going to be.  I'm sure it would be more than 3 but they are keeping it secret for some reason.