206 - "Rhinoceros"

A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
edited November 2015 in Fargo
Director: Jeffrey Reiner
Writer: Noah Hawley

Comments

• @A_Ron_Hubbard i think this accidentally got posted in the wrong section of the forum.
    Andrew StadlerElisa
  • I'm predicting greatness.
    Elisa
  • edited November 2015
    Love me some Hank Larsen. Please live through this episode. Please!
    UnderwoodAntManBeeAdmount
  • Nick Offerman wins the week!
    adobo1148Underwoodghm3Hatorian
  • "You're a bit touched, aren't you?"

"We're gonna check for blood. Microscopically, I mean. You'd be amazed at what we can find on the atomic level these days."
    UnderwoodElisabroompersonAdmount
  • edited November 2015
    This ep gave me a new theory about Hanzee. What if he came to live with the Gerharts as a kid because he's an illegitimate Gerhart? He formed a bond with Dodd when he was a kid that he didn't form with any of the others.

I noticed there's an older Native American housekeeper in a lot of Gerhart interior scenes and there was another indigenous man in Bear's crew tonight, but Native American people aren't present in anyone else's story. I'm not making a point about diversity, I find it interesting that they only have a relationship with one family in the story and I wonder why.
    steph_bangryjefA_Ron_Hubbard
  • UnderwoodUnderwood Philadelphia, PA
    Ted Fucking Danson. Him and Nick were great this week. Anyone else watch the next time on fargo clip? The head of the Kansas City syndicate is telling Mike that if he doesn't get the job done soon, he's sending in the undertaker... Lorne is that you?
    ElisaAshley
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    It's possible Hanzee is a half brother or perhaps he owes his life to Dodd somehow or they just totally connect.
  • broompersonbroomperson the Iron Islands
    I feel like this became Nick Offermans show about half way through this episode and I am 100% okay with that
  • broompersonbroomperson the Iron Islands
    But I will say that Banshee did the whole laying siege to a police station thing better than Fargo did. Incredible episode though
  • But I will say that Banshee did the whole laying siege to a police station thing better than Fargo did. Incredible episode though

God, definitely. I haven't thought about that episode for a while, and now just by remembering I got a knot in my stomach from it. One of their best episodes for sure.
  • edited November 2015
    Another awesome stage-setting episode. Nick Offerman was amazing, his dialogue was hilarious and strongly reminded me Deadwood, specifically good 'ole E.B Farnum:

Good times.

@broomperson The siege was cut short and no attack occurred so how can that be a fair comparison? I'll take Nick Offerman's awesome scene talking him down over another shootout that we already have plenty of any day.

Edit: Another hilarious scene just cause:

tom_g
  • I really enjoyed the episode and watching it unfold.

I also loved the exchange between Peggy and Hank. Especially when he was questioning her decisions and her talking about how it's like making decisions in a dream. I can totally relate to that idea. I know Peggy is not smart and what she did was totally stupid and not rational, but I've certainly made questionable decisions in life and when people have asked why, it really is like a dream where you're not sure why you did something in the moment and it is really hazy and just doesn't make any sense.
  • Can I just say how happy I am that it's a Tuesday and I have two podcasts to listen to? Thanks @Jim and @A_Ron_Hubbard.
    ghm3ElisaHollyoak
  • Kiss my grits!  For you kids, Simone was quoting the Flo character from "Alice".  Her catchphrase was kind of a thing in the late '70s.  Simone has been watching too much TV.
    ghm3NikkiPHollyoak
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited November 2015
    My money is on Dodd saving Hanzee's life as the reason for loyalty. We already got one young Dodd flashback so maybe we get another. 
    Elisasteph_b
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    Damn was this weeks episode fantastic.  First off there is no way in hell I would have the fortitude that Lou and Hank had to stand up against a mob of dudes with rifles pointed at me.  Anyway, despite knowing that Lou is alive in modern day the writing in this episode had me in fear for his life, the stand offs at the police station and the Blomquist house were just dynamite.  Also, Mike Milligan is fucking awesome, stealing the show this season.  I'm also really loving Bear, that dude is a good actor and I hope we get to see him get some revenge on Dodd for his literal burning down of his families empire.
    Elisa
  • I think this proves that Simone has not been manipulating both sides to see them both fail. She is not that clever, and has not been motivated to screw over Mike Milligan and KC.

When she told Mike that her brothers took everyone up to Luverne, it seemed likely that he would strike the Gerhart's home base. 
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Angus Sampson is quite a surprise talent, considering he started his career as a buffoon in a balaclava on a Saturday morning teen music show.

Hank's got some balls, standing his ground with Dodd and his men all alone. I hope he doesn't get killed (though I guess he will).
  • @Dee, didn't George Clooney get his start on Pee Wee's playhouse?
  • Just a thought on why young Dodd was brought to the theatre instead of the older brother.

He looked to be about 10. If we assume the older brother was a 15/16 year-old, he's viewed as a threat and would not be able sneak around behind the target like little Dodd.
    steph_bBicman
  • Quick podcast correction, @A_Ron_Hubbard & @Jim: the older brother Elron was mentioned before. When Floyd met with Kansas City to settle on terms, she told Joe that she had 5 sons. Elron died in the Korean War, and I think the other died as a baby.
    broompersonsteph_bElisaAshleyHollyoak
  • I can see why one might think that Mike Milligan reciting that poem was completely ridiculous... But all I could think while watching it was "this is so fucking cool"
    ElisaAshley
  • The Mike Milligan poem reading was well performed and really worked with the editing, but I concur with A.Ron in that it was a step too far.

I also was not a fan of the stuff with Carl Weathers during the credits. I was wondering if I had suddenly stepped into a sitcom.

These are just minor quibbles, though.
  • No one has mentioned that the poem was Jabberwocky by Lewis Carroll?!!!

C'mon people. That was truly magnificent! Bokeem Woodbine's delivery was spot-on, and it truly fit his character. I am sure a lot of people who are familiar with it were flipping out when he recited it.

I memorized that poem when I was in high school. This was the late 70s. I used it to impress girls.

It didn't work.
    UnderwoodAdmountReniElisaKela15
  • Hollyoak said:

No one has mentioned that the poem was Jabberwocky by Lewis Carroll?!!!

I think the conversation above about the poem was in response to the podcast, in which Jabberwocky by Lewis Carroll was discussed. A Ron knew the poem well from reading his mom and dad's books, but found it a bit much on the show.

I thought it was fine. Reminded me of the Ozymandias trailers leading into the final season of BB.
    Elisa
  • Thanks, Zinzan, I was just about to write that I was sorry. I hadn't listened to the podcast yet.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but Floyd did mention her oldest son in episode two or three. It was the sit-down with Kansas City and she told Everybody Loves Raymond's brother about her first-born and how he fought in Korea and was killed by (derogatory term for people of Asian ancestry.)

Jim, where can I get tickets to see that new Pixar film, A Whore's Life?
    FreddyDaveyMacElisa
  • @Hollyoak, it was mentioned just a couple comments above you.
    Hollyoak
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    NikkiP said:

This ep gave me a new theory about Hanzee. What if he came to live with the Gerharts as a kid because he's an illegitimate Gerhart? He formed a bond with Dodd when he was a kid that he didn't form with any of the others.

This is a great theory.  Wish I had included it on the podcast.  I've been really sick these past few days, and haven't been keeping up like I want to.  
  • I rewatched last night. When Bear was talking to his dad about the family legacy, they were intercutting family photos. One of those photos that stood out was a Native American in full headdress. There's some family history there, either some kind of close friendship that goes way back or a blood relation.
    DaveyMacElisa