Official Direct Thread: Death Proof

Wahl-eWahl-e Seattle
edited November 2015 in Direct
Consider this your official thread for Death Proof. Favorite moments? Fan theories? References? Lines? Characters? Discuss! 

Comments

• ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    edited December 2015
    At the end of the Kill Bill Vol. 2 podcast it was mentioned watching the Grindhouse combo of films, I'd highly suggest viewing the blu-ray/full film of Death Proof instead. The combo has missing scenes and reels intentionally, whereas the full film is unedited/complete and longer.

As for scenes, everything after leaving the bar up until the time jump is my favorite. I can't help but think of it every time I see women with their feet/legs hanging out of the car while driving.
    TaraC73
  • I've actually never seen Death Proof as Grindhouse with those fake trailers and Planet Terror. They were released separately here and I only saw Death Proof.

I know Tarantino has said this is his worst movie at least in the sense that audiences largely weren't willing to go along with him here as they had in his previous films. (I can't remember exactly how he framed it, but he discussed it in his Hateful Eight interview that showed up a few months back online at Vulture, if I remember correctly.)

It's my least favorite of his films, but I still really like it. The chase at the end is awesome and I love a lot of the stuff in the bar in the first act. I was also genuinely shocked when all the characters we had been spending time with were suddenly offed by Kurt Russell. The one sequence that really dragged for me was the restaurant scene with the new set of girls that Kurt Russel is stalking. That scene went on forever in the theater. I'll be interested to see if I like it any better this time.

It's funny, aside from Django, this is my wife's favorite Tarantino. Though she tends to champion a lot of directors' "lesser" works over the more revered ones.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to the discussion on this one.
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I think Death Proof in theaters drug a bit because it was the second of two movies and add in that it wasn't the best paced. It wasn't a good recipe. I agree that restaurant scene drug on forever. But I don't think it would have bothered me as much if it weren't a part of a double feature. Much less a double feature where the former movie was pretty much all action and then the fun trailers in the middle--it was like the momentum came to a screeching halt. Strange to think of that for a movie about fast cars speeding down a road.
    DaveyMac
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    I agree death proof on its own is much better, I never saw either form in the theaters (grind house or death proof proper)... I love the camera work in the crash scene (with all the girls and him coming head on) how it shows all the different POV. Also the scene with Rose McGowan in the passenger seat was so tense because we know somethings gonna happen - super creepy vibe and music and all that - always makes my toes curl (not in a happy way LOL) the ending is the best though.
    DaveyMac
  • DaveyMacDaveyMac Tokyo
    edited December 2015
    I did my re-watch over the weekend, and it was an interesting experience. The first half dragged more than I remembered and I found myself a bit bored in the moment a lot of the time, but then when the big scene came, I was thinking, "Wow, we're here already"? It's weird how moment to moment it felt slow, but overall, it didn't feel all that long to me.

The restaurant scene in the second half was far more entertaining than I had remembered and I was surprised just how much foreshadowing there was, setting up stuff to come.

The chase is still awesome.

And the line of dialogue about going left is so great. It had been years since I had seen it, but that line still stood out in my memory and I was really anticipating it.

I really enjoyed the discussion on the cast as usual.
    TaraC73
This discussion has been closed.