209 - "Ten Thirteen"

Director:  Keith Gordon
Writer: Damon Lindelof & Monica Beletsky

Comments

• kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    edited November 2015
    i haven't heard White Lines in a long time but when I heard that first part I knew the song and that someone was doing coke.
    Meg goes to palm print guy before joining GR. The fireman kicks out palm guy before Garveys move in. So it took all that time for fireman to figure out what Palm guy was doing before he kicked him out?

You know you have gone to far when you go rogue on the GR.
    I really like the slow song in the bar.
    oh shit! What an ending.
  • broompersonbroomperson the Iron Islands
    well... whew... um.... huh... ok. Was not expecting that episode. I uh hmm..... ok... uhhh hmmmm wow.. uh
    Liv Tyler is so hit or miss for me. One scene she's compelling, the next she's in full wet blanket mode. 
    MattSomething
    I have not seen Lost, but for whatever reason, this episode felt like what i imagine Lost was like. 
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    Not a Liv Tyler fan at all, I don't like the whisper voice, I don't think I have seen her really stand out in the things she's done. LOTR is about her best work but that is LOTR.
    broompersonNikkiP
  • MichaelVCassidyMichaelVCassidy Harrisburg, Pa
    edited November 2015
    The ending was GREAT, again. But that was by far my least favorite episode of this amazing season. There is waayy too many great plot lines still out there to take this big of a detour with just 1 hour left. Not a big fan of tonight's episode and it has lowered my expectations for the finale. I just don't find guilty remnant vengeance very compelling
    AManIsNoOneNikkiPAshley
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    No fucking way. Haven't seen the episode but I see Evie faked the departure and joined GR, I fucking called it! I don't think I've ever made a right prediction.
    Dummy
  • I am not a fan of Liv Tyler really at all, and this episode didn't sway me much from that. She had some scenes where she was good, and some scenes were just okay. And I felt like Tommy reverted back to dopey college kid mode, which was a little disappointing. I thought he had learned a lesson when he got tangled up with Wayne, but I guess not. I'm having trouble understanding why Tommy is even in this season? He doesn't seem to be a big part of Meg's plan. I can only think that Tommy's storyline and its intersection with Meg was put there to make Meg's plan less predictable. If Tommy were taken out of the story completely, it would be obvious what Meg was planning, and even where the girls had gone, I think.

Overall, I thought this episode was decent. The ending was good, but a bit predictable. I think this episode will set up for a great season finale. The finale isn't going to be about GR revenge, not really. It more about how what Meg does affects all the characters we have come to know and care about.
    Elisa
  • Meg knows how to deal with Wolves.
    KingKobraNikkiPCory
  • I'm glad they didn't show the stoning this time!
    Josh B.
    edited November 2015
    Wow. Ok so the cricket cell phone ring tone... Evie has one too and THAT was the cricket sound in the 1st episode and that explains why John couldn't find the cricket [insert mind blown gif here]
    NikkiPReni
  • edited November 2015

I am not a fan of Liv Tyler really at all, and this episode didn't sway me much from that. She had some scenes where she was good, and some scenes were just okay. And I felt like Tommy reverted back to dopey college kid mode, which was a little disappointing. I thought he had learned a lesson when he got tangled up with Wayne, but I guess not. I'm having trouble understanding why Tommy is even in this season? He doesn't seem to be a big part of Meg's plan. I can only think that Tommy's storyline and its intersection with Meg was put there to make Meg's plan less predictable. If Tommy were taken out of the story completely, it would be obvious what Meg was planning, and even where the girls had gone, I think.

Overall, I thought this episode was decent. The ending was good, but a bit predictable. I think this episode will set up for a great season finale. The finale isn't going to be about GR revenge, not really. It more about how what Meg does affects all the characters we have come to know and care about.

Tommy, is in there not only to throw doubt, but also is a powerful piece thy often goes ignored. He is connected to two of the main characters (one of them a main focal point of the season). Meg never forgave Laurie and in some part Kevin for what happened back in NY. When she found out that Kevin was in Jardin it made her laugh (because another major piece just fell into her lap). My thoughts is that the girls are meant to martyrs. That is why Meg was looking for explosives and we saw the quick flash of the trailer on the bridge. Her plan is to blow up the bridge after the reveal that the girls are still alive. This makes everyone "rememeber" by cutting off the outside to Jardin and by heavily impacting a community she feels wasn't affected by the departure (which we know is not true (Matt knows this to a point, but didn't say it) ).

I thought this was a very good episode, maybe not the same impact as the rest, but the ending was executed well. The girls going to GR, but really not GR but Meg's extremist arm of them, could have been done in so many different ways and I'm happy they did it the way they did. It was also good to see Meg's story, that Jardin was the start of her current journey. Her palm reading was accurate and she didn't want to accept the message that was given to her. She has been on a vengeance mission almost since that point.
    Elisa
    I hate everything about Laurie. I feel dirty for rooting for her briefly at the beginning of this season.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I love Liv Tyler. It's an irrational thing, like the way I hate Gwyneth Paltrow. So I thought she was incredible and powerful tonight obviously. She was frankly terrifying with her context inappropriate smiling. I was worried she'd just stone Matt then and there when he brought up the flyers with her mom's face on them. But it seems maybe they'll fight a battle over the soul of the shanty town of outer Jardin next week, The Stand style.

I thought Tommy wasn't great this episode either, especially considering his really great appearance earlier this season. Not sure what the problem was except part of it is I just don't buy him being so blase about stoning the poor hippy biker guy. Him wanting answers from particularly Meg was understandable, but when he decided to go to a Texas on a whim and largely unquestion everything up until the final reveal felt not right for someone like him. The Leftovers has to grind sausage like any other show, I guess, and he's the logical piece to bring everyone important down to Jardin to finish this, but...

The degree of difficulty in bringing this season to a satisfying conclusion is really up there. Especially when you consider this could (unlikely but still) be the series finale. Which I believe is what I said for last year at this point, so maybe Lindelof has me exactly where he wants me?
    chriskElisa
  • mike_kmike_k Sunnyvale CA
    Ok what about this. GR dammed the river and triggered some pipeline explosion (Meg learned about that when she visited Jardin) which caused the 'earthquake'... They took the water away because it was making Jardin feel special. The girls were already in on it at that point and made that their position of escape, to fuck with the town. If Babylon is to be flooded, maybe it's through a redirection of the river water via the Dam.
  • mike_kmike_k Sunnyvale CA
    edited November 2015
    Also, there are likely sleeper cells within Jardin in plain clothes... Probably a mainish character... Any guesses?
  • I could say that it had to be underwhelming after last week, but no, it didn't have to be. Yet it really was. Meg and Tommy being together all episode seemed very forced. I would've preferred it if she met up with Matt earlier in the episode, then he snuck back to the compound and discovered the girls.

Do not care for Liv Tyler's acting and Meg is no Patti. She came off like a priveleged princess in this episode, who had one bad thing happen and went off the deep end because the departure stole all the attention from her loss and need to be comforted.
    Elisa
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    edited November 2015
    I've never thought of Liv Tyler as a great actress before this show, but I think she's been fine so far, and last night when she was incredible. Ice cold and frightening. The whole time she was in the honkytonk with Tom I thought there was a clear sense of menace and manipulation there, but I also doubted that and wondered if she was sincere. She's done a great job delineating the pre and post-GR Megs. I like that they've continued with the idea that she's only using the aspects of the GR that she likes, going back to her getting hushed repeatedly by Laurie last season. 

I think a comparison to Patti isn't entirely fair. Patti was pure GR, and I'm still wondering if she was the founder, or at least one of the founders. Meg is using the GR as a vehicle for her personal revenge. She is petty and less idealistic but therefore more dangerous.

I'm wondering if the C4 was a red herring/rumor that the GR higher ups heard. 

Also curious about Meg's group not wearing white, yet the girls in the trailer are. Is her group is meant to be disguised as a more random cult, or have they eschewed some of the formalities of Patti-style GR.

KingKobra
  • Comment from listening to the podcast:

The "it's a girl" balloon on the deer he hit in "The Garvey's at Their Best" was probably a sign of Laurie's baby and not that they would get Lilly. 
  • What did Meg say to Tommy about pregnancy?

• tom_g said:

What did Meg say to Tommy about pregnancy?

I thought she told him that she slept with him to get HIM pregnant.
    KingKobra
    NikkiP said:

Do not care for Liv Tyler's acting and Meg is no Patti. She came off like a priveleged princess in this episode, who had one bad thing happen and went off the deep end because the departure stole all the attention from her loss and need to be comforted.

Well, to be fair, we all thought Patti was a fucking bitch that we all hated last season too. But with Meg's nose candy addiction, the latest hostility she has toward her mother that that implies, the fact that her dad died early and her step dad cut and run after making a big deal to make the family 'real', I think they have a solid foundation of pathos and attachment disorder to work with. Maybe next year Timmy will die and do dream war with a little girl version of Meg and we'll cry and love her, haha?

AshleyOcean

Comment from listening to the podcast:

The "it's a girl" balloon on the deer he hit in "The Garvey's at Their Best" was probably a sign of Laurie's baby and not that they would get Lilly. 
    Why not both?
    pavlovsbell
  • Comment from listening to the podcast:

Why not both?
    Well sure, it could be both. But with the timing of it, with Laurie being at the doctor that day for the ultrasound and Kevin going off for an afternoon delight, I think it is meant to highlight her pregnancy.
    Additional morning thoughts.  Meg's phone has a cricket ringer.  The Murphy's were driven crazing in episode one by a cricket chirping, that hasn't been heard from since.

Does this imply that Evie's had some kind of "burner" phone to coordinate her actions with Meg?  Was Meg secretly staying inside the house?  Did Evie have Meg's phone at the time?  

What can possibly be in John's birthday box at this point that would actually being meaningful and interesting?  
    KingKobra
  • Seems like there is A LOT of stuff to get through in the Season Finale. Any announcement that it will be a longer episode?

I agree that we don't know that Meg has been accumulating plastic explosives. The GR management seemed to have heard that, but it doesn't mean it's true. It still might be, but I would have thought the trailer would have been packed with it. It still looked pretty spacious in the trailer behind the 3 girls.

I think we'll see Kevin rounded up by John, maybe beat up a bit, held captive. Something will happen where John will finally open the present from Evie, and he'll somehow realize that Evie is alive and Kevin is innocent. 

I can't remember how big the box was. Big enough to hold a small phone? Maybe it will ring with the cricket chirp and it will be Evie calling? Or there will be caller id from Meg or something?
  • DaveyMacDaveyMac Tokyo
    edited November 2015
    I wonder if this episode suffered a bit from the decision to only have one or two POVs per episode. We haven't seen Tommy since the third episode if I recall and some of his behavior seems like out of left field here, where perhaps it would feel more organic had we popped in on him more throughout the season. Tough to say. I wouldn't want to lose any of the earlier episodes though so I'm fine if that's a sacrifice they felt they had to make in order to tell the story the way they wanted.

I'm still not sure exactly what I think of the episode as a whole. I still found it very compelling and I was on edge any time Meg was on screen as she's such a loose canon. With only one left to go, though, I wish we'd gotten to spend time with the characters I care a lot more about. But who knows, whatever they've got planned for the finale may not work without this episode.

I did really like Meg's visit to Jarden though and as soon as she had her carrot with Evie I had an inkling of where the episode was headed.
  • @MattSomething Thanks for sharing that interview. Really interesting insights.
  • Jordan K.Jordan K. Springfield, IL
    While I do think this was my least favorite episode of the season, it was still pretty damn compelling. 

1. Love the Reddit bridge theory.

2. Sometimes I wish HBO wouldn't show the "previously on" segment. As soon as they showed the Evie bits, I knew we were getting something with her. Not to say the reveal didn't work, but I just wasn't as shocked as I could have been. 

3. I wonder how long Meg has been in communication with Evie and her friends. 

4. Does Erika know that Evie is still alive? Could this have had something to do with the sign language conversations between the two earlier this season?

5. Is Isaac the real deal? He knew about the walnuts on Meg's mother's salad, how else could he have known? I read somewhere that people think the fiance may have contact Isaac beforehand, but from Meg's conversation before, he didn't even know about Isaac before making the trip to Texas. 

I cannot wait for next week.