Miller's Crossing

A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
I saw Miller's Crossing this weekend.  I thought it was a fine movie, not my favorite (which I tend to put Raising Arizona or Big Lebowski, and not for any defensible reason), but one thing has me puzzled.  What the hell is the point of the insane slapstick Tommy gun sequence when Leo's house get's assaulted.  Everything else felt more or less deadly serious, and while I laughed out loud, and thoroughly enjoyed it, it really had me struggling with the movie's tone for the next 30-40 minutes.

Seriously, that bullet hose stuff might have been the funniest thing I've ever seen the brothers do.  But WTF?

Anyway, open thread to discuss Miller's Crossing.  Now, the only Coen movie I haven't seen is in "Inside Llewyn Davis."

Comments

• Haven't seen it yet, but are you doing a podcast on it?
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Nah, this was just some belated professional podcaster due diligence for the Fargo season.
  • Yeah I remember you saying that. Perhaps I will have to watch it because this scene sounds fairly crazy in a movie of this tone.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    The point is that Leo is a bad ass! I've seen this movie a zillion times (all time favourite), and it's one that benefits from rewatching - I missed a ton the first couple of times, and I think it was only on my third or fourth viewing that I even realised why they kept referring to Mink as "the Dane's boy" (in my defence, I saw it during its cinema release and I was a bit slow back then).

I don't think it's deadly serious at all - I mean, it's a drama but there is a lot of comedy in it. Tom's hopelessness with gambling, the scene where the boy finds Rug Daniels, the scenes with Jon Polito and his kid, Steve Buscemi's motor-mouth way of speech, etc.
    hypergenesbTeletype
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA

I saw Miller's Crossing this weekend.  I thought it was a fine movie, not my favorite (which I tend to put Raising Arizona or Big Lebowski, and not for any defensible reason), but one thing has me puzzled.  What the hell is the point of the insane slapstick Tommy gun sequence when Leo's house get's assaulted.  Everything else felt more or less deadly serious, and while I laughed out loud, and thoroughly enjoyed it, it really had me struggling with the movie's tone for the next 30-40 minutes.

Seriously, that bullet hose stuff might have been the funniest thing I've ever seen the brothers do.  But WTF?

Anyway, open thread to discuss Miller's Crossing.  Now, the only Coen movie I haven't seen is in "Inside Llewyn Davis."
    I am so glad you mentioned this...When I first watched Miller's Crossing (maybe 6 months ago) the tommy gun sequence stood out like a pink elephant. I honestly wondered what happened to the movie I was just watching. I thoroughly enjoyed everything else with the flick--but that part was absolutely bananas and completely out of left-field. The crummy part for me is now when I think of Miller's Crossing, I don't think of all the other stuff I saw...I think of that sequence.
  • DaveyMacDaveyMac Tokyo
    edited December 2015
    I've seen "Miller's Crossing" three or four times and it grows on me with every viewing, much like most Coen films. Their films are so layered it's really easy to miss things the first few times. Hell I still discover new things every time I watch "The Big Lebowski" which I've seen more than a dozen times.

Anyway, I'm with @Dee in thinking that the film is not deadly serious throughout, even though it has deadly serious moments. The tommy gun scene has never really stood out to me as not belonging in the film. It's a standout moment for sure, but for whatever reason it never struck me as a dramatic tone shift, especially as I already find much of the film funny.

The one scene pops into mind immediately every time "Miller's Crossing" comes up is the amazing woods sequence that "Fargo" paid homage to last week.

As much as I like the film, though, it's not in my top five Coen films. But that's not a knock, as The Coens are my favorite filmmakers. I just happen to like several of their other films more.
    Oh, I'll definitely be watching it again, these were just my first impressions, and you know how I get about tone.  
    Dee
  • chrisk Indianapolis
    Watch it again, definitely. To me it's the most quotable Coen movie outside of Lebowski and maybe Raising Arizona. I've probably seen it over 20 times. 

Lots of funny stuff in that movie though. Rug Daniels in the alley, Steve Buscemi's character, Drop Johnson , not to mention Johnny Caspar. Tom and Verna's scenes have a screwball comedy rhythm to them, though they're not that funny.

Count the number of times you hear "Jesus, Tom"

• I haven't seen Miller's Crossing for a long time but man, what a great movie.  My top 5 Coen Brothers:

Raising Arizona
    Fargo
    Miller's Crossing
    A Serious Man
    and tied for #5 Oh, Brother Where Art Thou and Inside Llewyn Davis

I guess I'm probably the only one who thinks The Big Lebowski is kinda overrated.  I remember being pretty disappointed when it came out cuz I was a huge fan of Raising Arizona and was excited about the Coens returning to full-on comedy.  The movie has grown on me since then.  It's pretty great really, but probably not in the Top 10 Coen stuff for me.

• Actually getting a chance to see this one on the big screen this week in Boston, I was glad to see that it was one of the ones to watch for this season.

• DeeDee Adelaide
    @chrisk Take your flunky and dangle!
    hypergenesb
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Joe_Bear said:

Actually getting a chance to see this one on the big screen this week in Boston, I was glad to see that it was one of the ones to watch for this season.

Where is it playing at? I am in California at the moment, but jealous that you are getting to take advantage of that.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited December 2015
    WAIT.

So all week I've been thinking you guys are talking about Leo with the tommy gun shooting the guy in the bedroom window for what seemed like ever (and secretly thinking your feelings are ugly and wrong for saying that scene doesn't fit the aesthetic of the movie). But last night I was rewatching a bit and realised you're talking about when Sam Raimi comes out giggling and shooting during the club raid. DER. I'd totally forgotten that scene.

So yes, that is an odd little scene, but I'm sure Coens have put odd little scenes like that in their movies before (though I can't think of one right now), and they're BFFs with Sam Raimi so it seems to just be some kind of little in joke, I guess.

I'll go sit in the corner with a funny hat now.
  • DaveyMacDaveyMac Tokyo
    edited December 2015
    I think A.Ron actually was referring to the bedroom window scene, like you originally thought @Dee, as his initial comment refers to the tommy gun assault on Leo's house. Plus, their conversation on the Fargo cast all but confirmed it as he was talking about the guy shooting his own feet as he's getting shot.

I actually don't remember the Sam Raimi moment. I guess it's time for a re-watch. I've been meaning to recently anyway.
    Dee
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @DaveyMac Oh, well now I'm thoroughly confused about why @A_Ron_Hubbard would find that scene jarring. I'll have to listen to the Fargo cast on my way home from work!
    DaveyMac
    It's ludicrous! Hilarious, too, but mostly ludicrous. It's Sonny at the tollbooth turned up to eleven.
    DeeDaveyMac
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Whaaaat! Get in the sea - it's glorious! It is hilarious though - okay Leo, pretty sure the guy's dead now. You can stop.
    DaveyMac