208 - "Loplop"

A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
Director:  Keith Gordon
Writer:  Bob DeLaurentis

Comments

• broompersonbroomperson the Iron Islands
    Pumped for this. I wonder if we'll get any answers this episode on the Hank alien stuff.
    I'm an International Assassin.
  • Intense.
  • Holy shit!
    For quite by chance and the will of a wizard...
  • UnderwoodUnderwood Philadelphia, PA
    That last ten minutes was some can't look away shit. Magnificent!
    manhattnik
    "The mouse lady had kind eyes"
    edited December 2015
    My first impression? Funniest episode of a drama that I've seen other than Pine Barrens. I was giggling like an idiot almost the entire time, and the times I wasn't laughing my heart was in my throat because of Hanzee's intense scenes or Ed almost hanging to death.

Absolutely incredible episode. Best episode of Fargo this season.

Oh and Fargo wins the week for me
    UnderwoodElisaAshleymanhattnik
  • I laughed out loud at some parts, and don't think I breathed for the last 10 minutes. Oh my god. So great. Can't wait to hear the podcast in a couple days. Fargo beats Leftovers this week, in my opinion!
  • Pumped for this. I wonder if we'll get any answers this episode on the Hank alien stuff.

Not sure if you noticed it but when Hanzee goes to the bar where they serve spit water, upper left of the frame or right above the bartender there's a wooden beem or plank that was covered with Hanks alien writing. Seems like it's more of a Native American writing style than alien, first time they showed Hanks room though I first thought Zodiac Killer. Anyway, fucking epic 90mins of television.
    ElisaA_Ron_Hubbard
  • My main thought after this episode: god dammit, Peggy. 
    manhattnik
  • sjand80sjand80 Jersey
    edited December 2015
    Props to Peggy for actualizing herself.  Foot's on the other shoe now motherfuckers.
    Elisamanhattnik
  • Dodd was a character I really loved to hate, everything he did in this episode was hilarious up until he almost killed Ed & Peggy. Also I noticed he called Hanzee a "half-breed", I don't know if we already knew this information but it supports the theory that Hanzee is Otto's son.

Amazing episode!
    UnderwoodElisa
  • The "SOUIX FALLS" hangman game in the phone booth was interesting.

Got the feeling Hanzee would kill Dodd there. Of course, also got the feeling he might shoot Ed dead there, too. Edge of the seat stuff for sure!
    Elisa
  • Funny episode - my laughing/giggling woke my wife up - she was pissed - I slept on the couch.
    So what? No f*kin ziti now?
  • Last week we got a lot of "Miller's Crossing" and this week we got a ton of "Fargo". 

Great episode. So much good stuff, both funny and intense as hell. That final scene was insane. And the stuff with Hanzee was built up so incredibly well.

Only slight issue I still have is how Ed got home, packed Dodd into the trunk and left before Hank and Lou could arrive. It seems like they headed straight there after he ran off in the night, so how did he get there faster than them on foot? I was also surprised that the crime scene was just left unattended given that there were two dead bodies in the basement. You'd think scene would be taped off and police would be collecting evidence or something. Maybe I'm just nitpicking and I should just roll with it as everything else was so great, but it still sticks out a little. Unless there's something I'm missing?
  • yea. Finding the car was definitely a call back to the movie for sure. I am usually not very good at catching those but that was pretty straightforward. 
    No Half Measures....
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    I didn't care too much for Peg in the first few episodes. Now I love her, the part where she is talking to the guy she is she thinks she sees is great. Dod's reaction to that is great to. The part where she readjusts Dodds attitude is so awesome. Great work from Kristen Dunst.
    Elisa
  • Question - did Peg hit Hanzee square with the sheers - and, did it do NO DAMAGE??
    So what? No f*kin ziti now?
  • "Honey, ya gotta stop stabbing him"  -- hilarious.
    Elisaghm3broompersonmanhattnikksa1001
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited December 2015
    But of a nod to No Country For Old Men there with Hanzee in the gas station.

I don't have anything insightful to say, I just love this show so much - every detail delights me. The casting is spot on, the story is both dramatic and hilarious, the scenery is beautiful. It's just perfect to me.

Also, I yelled really loud when Hanzee shot Dodd. I was in the zone and should have seen it coming but I didn't.
    UnderwoodElisa
  • I literally laughed out loud when Peggy started stabbing Dodd because of his "manners". I was still pretty shocked when Hanzee shot Dodd but I'm so glad he did it. The end scene was just awesome, but it makes me wonder weather or not Peggy would have just stabbed Hanzee too. 

Strangely, Hanzee is one of my favorite characters this season. There is so much mystery about his background and I have really enjoyed the small bits of information we've learned throughout the season about him with little to no acual dialogue. I loved that bar scene, that regardless of what an unbelievable asshole that bartender was to him, he seemed to have every intention of letting it slide - until those idiots followed him out of the bar of course. That interaction seemed to push him over the edge in that situation and possibly played a part in ultimately turning on Dodd.

Overall this episode was fantastic, I definitely wasn't expecting a full-on recap of everything we felt like were were missing last week (pretty reminicsent of the first 3 episodes of The Leftovers this season).

I agree that the timing of Ed making it home and out the door with Dodd before Hank and Lou show up still seems a little suspicious. However, they did make a point to highlight the fact that Hank did have a pretty serious concussion, which in my mind, covers up the question of why he wouldn't have checked on Peggy before going to help Lou. I'm still not totally convinced that Ed would be smart enough to make the Mike Milligan connection, but I'm glad they at least gave some explanation. 
    Elisa
  • I think I'm the only person in the world who still can't stand Peggy. I don't know why, but something about her irritates me so much that every single second she's on screen, I just can't wait for that second to be over, and the feeling intensifies with each one. It's really starting to mess with my overall Fargo experience now. :\

It's interesting that Keith Gordon directed the last episode of The Leftovers as well. It's been a good week for him!
    manhattnik
    Reni said:

I think I'm the only person in the world who still can't stand Peggy. I don't know why, but something about her irritates me so much that every single second she's on screen, I just can't wait for that second to be over, and the feeling intensifies with each one. It's really starting to mess with my overall Fargo experience now. :\

It's interesting that Keith Gordon directed the last episode of The Leftovers as well. It's been a good week for him!

If you're not seeing the humor in what Peggy is doing then idk what to tell ya man. I think she's an awesome and original character. 
    ElisaDee
  • @broomperson I see the humor. I see the originality. By my own history of characters I like, I should love this one. I don't know why I don't. I can't reason why. It's driving me mad (both her, and the fact that I feel this way about her).
  • @Reni, "Wow" on Keith Gordon. Quite a week, indeed!

Wonder who won the week for him?!! :-)
    Reni
  • @Reni if it makes you feel any better, as funny as I thought she was this week, I was still hoping she was going to die by the end of the episode. Here's to next week!
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Love Hanzee and I am sure his whole frustration and portrayal is heavily influenced by the 1973 Wounded Knee Massacre in South Dakota.  God I love this show.
  • edatlin said:

Also I noticed he called Hanzee a "half-breed", I don't know if we already knew this information but it supports the theory that Hanzee is Otto's son.

Amazing episode!
    Did he call him that? I thought he said "mongrel" but they have the same meaning. Feeling good about my theory that Hanzee is a Gerhart! Great episode! Hilarious all the way through and they still included serious notes like overt racism and attempted murder. The only week spot was the newspaper headline about Milligan, but it wasn't a big deal. People in the Fargo universe are real chatty so it's not unvelievable that reporters would have that info. It just seemed like a slight bit much.
    Elisa
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited December 2015
    Henry S said:

"Honey, ya gotta stop stabbing him"  -- hilarious.

"Hon, did you stab the hostage?"
    Elisa
    No Half Measures....
    Hatorian said:

Henry S said:

"Honey, ya gotta stop stabbing him"  -- hilarious.

"Hon, did you stab the hostage?"
    "Women, can't live with em, can't turn em into cat food"

god this episode is hilarious
    manhattnikHatorianUnderwood
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    Another A+ episode. I wonder if all the Native American things littered through the season is a hint at a more NA focus next season, that would be cool. Really like how they played last episode with all the questions and then gave us the answers this episode. Super surprised Hanzee killed Dodd, wonder what ultimately pushed him over the edge and what his part will be, if any, the next couple episodes.

Wonder is predatory les is alive or not, I don't really like the character and I think it's the way she's played as well as my baggage from the character in HoC. Kind of wish they had killed Sd this episode as well, not that I don't like Todd, I just think it would have been pretty cool. Also I have a lot of sympathy for Peggy after this episode, weird I know, but she just wants to be a modern woman in a world that's having a hard time in letting that be accomplished.
    Elisa
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Guess who won the week. Even if The Leftovers weren't having a slightly off week, this was a great episode and might have taken the week even without the help. So funny, great drama, action, twists and turns. Never felt forced, either. I love watching Souix Falls come together. Am I crazy or is anyone else seeing how Ed and Peggy could skate on this whole thing? Could anyone have thought that a week ago?
    TeletypeUnderwoodElisa