Secular Christmas Playlist

A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
edited December 2015 in General
Last year I talked on LWJ&A about compiling a spotify secular Christmas music list, and people asked if I could share, and I think I forgot to.  Anyway, with 25 Days Until, I figure this is a good time to drop it on people.  I get that I'm literally taking the Christ out of Christmas, which is something that makes a lot of people upset, but I hope we can all still be friends.  Cause hey, it's Christmas!  And I love Christmas.

A couple of notes:  I'm not personally offended by the concept of God, if there were some really rocking non-secular Christmas music I'd be down for listening to it.  I've been known to listen to Elvis sing gospel music, and I dig it.  My problem is that most of the time something like "Mary Did You Know?" comes on, I want the music to stop, right away.  It's just such a syrupy, overwrought song, and I find much of the non-secular music to be the same.  To that end, I have thrown in some instrumental (inevitably, Trans-Siberian Orchestra) versions of non-secular classics that I enjoy that version of.

There are a few versions of really great songs, but at some point you have to decide to go with the classics or the remakes.  I go by the general rule that Connick Jr. > Buble, and the list reflects that, but I know it's not a universal opinion.  I also try to go for a good mix of sentimental and wiggle your butt kind of music.  

Also, if you have other suggestions (that are available on Spotify) let me know!  I've only got 3hrs and 15 minutes of material so far, I'd love to have much more.  I'd love to hear especially obscure or neat remixes.  As a very young child, I had a Star Wars themed Christmas album with Anthony Daniels and R2D2 doing duets that I wish I could get my hands on, but mom threw it out when she converted.

TravisOliviaDDaveyMacamyja89

Comments

• A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    edited December 2015
    OH SHIT, THEY RE-RELEASED THE STAR WARS ALBUM THIS YEAR!!!  http://amzn.to/1jxeDsf

TaraC73
  • HeffHeff Connecticut
    Somewhere I have a Metallica album all done with Christmas-style instruments - sleigh bells and the like. I'm with you though, I don't believe in any magical person(s) and though my family celebrates Christmas, for me it's more about the idea that the end of the year is a time to spend with family and loved ones than celebrating someone's birthday.
  • War on Christmas! How dare you. Somebody notify Bill O'Reilly.
    Freddy
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited December 2015

for some reason Spotify won't open the playlist, but I'll try again later. Without seeing your list a couple of great tunes:

They Might Be Giants - Santa's Beard
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force - I Sure Hope I Don't Have to Beat Your Ass This Christmas (I actually heard this from a Daytrotter session, but I guess there is a full on XMas record so there may be even better songs on it)
    Low - Just Like Christmas
    the Ravonettes - the Christmas Song
    Neil Halstead - the Man in the Santa Suit
    Magnetic Fields - Everything is One Big Christmas Tree
    Jon Lajoie - Cold Blooded Christmas
    Irma Thomas, Perservation Hall Jazz Band - May Ev'ry Day Be Christmas
    and there are a million versions, but I really like the Rufus Wainwright and Sharon Van Etten take on Baby It's Cold Outside

A_Ron_Hubbard
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited December 2015
    I'm also a big fan of the John Denver and the Muppets record. That thing was the Christmas record of record in my house growing up.
    A_Ron_HubbardFrakkin T
  • I've got two words for you . . . 

barking dogs
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    The only Christmas song I like is Fairytale of New York by The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl. It's about two drunken lovers screaming abuse at each other. Good times.
    TravisDaveyMacKela15normanb616
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited December 2015
    Dee said:

The only Christmas song I like is Fairytale of New York by The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl. It's about two drunken lovers screaming abuse at each other. Good times.

Great call. Goddamn fantastic song (I'm a little jealous that I didn't think to mention it myself). That whole record is really, really great.
    DeeDaveyMacKela15
  • edited December 2015
    It Dies Today does a pretty awesome hardcore version of Feliz Navidad. I usually get someone new hooked on it around this time of year .......  so tag you're it :)

• "Fuck you, it's over" is a pretty great Christmas song by Glasvegas. Relient k also has a pretty good Christmas album.
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas

War on Christmas! How dare you. Somebody notify Bill O'Reilly.

For real. Need to send A. Ron to Islamistan, where he belongs.
    Is it warm there?
    brewsevelt
  • DaveyMacDaveyMac Tokyo
    edited December 2015
    I second both Fairytale in New York and Just Like Christmas. Those or two of my all time favorite Christmas tunes.

I'd also suggest checking out the Andy Cirzan's Christmas compilations that he does every year on Sound Opinions. Each year he puts together an album, usually based around a theme, of really obscure stuff and some of it is pretty out there. Here's a link to last year's: http://soundopinions.org/christmas
    TravisKela15
  • Kela15Kela15 Malta, Europe
    How about Wonderful Christmas Time by Paul McCartney and Bob Dylan's Christmas Island?
    AntManBee
  • Kela15 said:

How about Wonderful Christmas Time by Paul McCartney and Bob Dylan's Christmas Island?

I'm not much of a fan of the Dylan Xmas album, but "Must be Santa" is amazing.
    Kela15
  • Esquivel, the king of space age pop, once put out this stellar xmas album. It's been a seasonal favorite of mine for many years.

http://www.allmusic.com/album/merry-christmas-from-the-space-age-bachelor-pad-mw0000081403

• Kela15Kela15 Malta, Europe
    edited December 2015
    AntManBee said:

Kela15 said:

I'm not much of a fan of the Dylan Xmas album, but "Must be Santa" is amazing.

Yep that is a real Xmas stomper!
  • OliviaDOliviaD Cincinnati, Ohio
    Christmas in Hollis- Run DMC
    Travisghm3
    I'm going to go through today and see what all of this is on Spotify and add it to the list.  Oh, and maybe come up with a kid-friendly version, too, haha.  Thanks for all the great suggestions!
  • I'd like to throw in Run The Jewels - A Christmas Fucking Miracle. It's got bells and Christmas in the title so I consider it a Christmas song. 
    TravisDaveyMac
  • War on Christmas! How dare you. Somebody notify Bill O'Reilly.

The War on Christmas, is that an indie rock outfit out of Milwaukee? I hear they change all of the lyrics to Neutral Milk Hotel songs to make them holiday themed.
    pavlovsbell
  • MichelleMichelle California
    I can't go without the Brian Setzer Orchestra at Christmas.   Run Rudolph Run is a *great* song and really fun.  Actually, the entire Boogie Woogie Christmas album is awesome.  It'll get you dancing for sure, especially after some of those minis I spotted on the tree.  :)

Being a longtime fan of big band swing and oldies, I'd also like to suggest (Everybody's Waitin' For) The Man With The Bag by Kay Starr, and Santa Claus Is Coming To Town by Bing Crosby & The Andrews Sisters. 

Dee
  • @Travis That sounds familiar but I couldn't find anything on Spotify or Youtube
    Travis
  • @bizmarkiefader Sorry man. I was making a really dumb joke. I didn't do a great job of wording it though. I think it was the Milwaukee part that brought in too many specifics. Sorry for the wild goose chase. 
  • @Travis I swear I've heard a band with that name but I must be thinking of a friends band from high school or something. I'm kind of shocked there aren't more bands using it
  • @bizmarkiefader There's a pretty cool band called The War On Drugs. Maybe you're thinking of them? They're one of those bands where I will really, really grab onto seemingly one song per record, but they start to feel a little redundant over the course of a whole album. I like the song linked below a whole lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LmX5c7HoUw 

• DeeDee Adelaide
    @Michelle THERE'S A BRIAN SETZER ORCHESTRA???
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited December 2015
    Dee said:

@Michelle THERE'S A BRIAN SETZER ORCHESTRA???

Yeah, it's him and his band.  :)   They're *SO* good!
    And his voice is still as great as it was in the '80s.
    Here ya go  :) 
    edited December 2015
    Sorry I haven't updated this.  My freaking Spotify expired and I guess my main credit card I used expired too, and I've been having trouble getting the info updated.  If I ca't get it fixed by tomorrow, I'm just going to create a new account.
    Michelle
This discussion has been closed.