508 - "The Ten Commandments Killer"

Director: Loni Peristere
Writer: Ryan Murphy

Comments

• A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    All hail @Heff!
    JJ_BordenFrakkin TMichelleHeffElisa
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    I'm about to watch--AHS's official twitter spoiled the TCK before the damn episode was even over. Not that anyone was actually surprised....
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Trying to get through this episode, but either I'm truly becoming more disinterested in this storyline as the episode progresses, or I'm just way too tired.  It's probably the latter.  I'll do a second watch tomorrow or over the weekend.
    What did you guys think?
    Elisa
  • April_May_JuneApril_May_June California
    edited December 2015
    I think I say this in every week's thread, but I am *loving* this season! The atmosphere ... the story ... the music ... just awesome!
    The first season has always been my favorite, but this one may just surpass it ...
    I'm not really much of a fan of Evan Peters, but I'm kind of coming around this season ... he is killing it (haha - no punn intended) as March.
    I thought it was good. I think the hard boiled dialog was ridiculous, but probably intentionally so.  It's been a fun season so far.  Is it true this is only 10 episodes long?  If so, that might be a good idea going forward, there were far less throw away episodes this season.  I also like the fact that with Lange gone, I felt like it gave room for the rest of the cast to shine.
    Elisa
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    I don't know if it's because the Bald Move community called it weeks ago and therefore I was underwhelmed, but I call total and utter bullshit on this whole thing.

I just can't get over the convenient 'black outs', I see it as lazy story telling plain and simple, and was just an excuse to drag the killer reveal out for eight episodes. It's almost as bad as the "oh it was all a dream!" trope.

And also, so much for Gaga only taking children who are in danger or are being neglected, we now know she only took Holden as part of March's plan to send John over the edge.

I have probably been over critical of this season in general, but with not that many episodes to go I feel like the talents of some of the biggest cast members have been completely wasted. Angela Bassett in particular is going to have been completely wasted unless she has a big role to play in the home straight.

ElisahypergenesbTaraC73
  • HeffHeff Connecticut
    OF COURSE THIS WOULD BE THE FUCKING WEEK I FORGET THE SHOW IS ACTUALLY ON D_:

All hail @Heff!

Tell my wife, people should listen to me more often!

I'll have to give the episode a watch tonight, so I can listen to you and Cecily tomorrow. Glad to hear that I was right, and that March seems to be building and building in importance. I really like this EP character, right up there with Tate and the Coven "guard dog."
    Michelle
  • UnderwoodUnderwood Philadelphia, PA
    When John was talking to his detective partner towards the end of the episode, and he's triyng to convince John that he didn't do and even John for a moment looks like he's having some doubts about being the killer suddenly.  I was thinking to my self "Holy shit maybe John actually isn't the TCK, this is going to be a double twist" But then John stabbed him and my excitement faded.

I like this episode, and this season in general. There's just some things that seem so obvious to me that would elevate everything. At the same time I could never think up a whole season of a show and write so much dialog, so who am I to judge. Easy to say all of this in hindsight.
    ElisaApril_May_June
  • HeffHeff Connecticut
    So after watching the episode, holy shit is Evan Peters killing this role! March's machinations are becoming more and more clear, and I love how it's tying the events of this season together.

We've learned about Sally's deal with March - protection from the Addiction Demon in exchange for her services. I like how she's becoming somewhat of a sympathetic protaganist.

It looks like all the bits of evidence the community noticed collectively WERE significant, so kudos to us!

This is still my favorite season yet, and I'm looking forward to how the rest pans out.

April_May_JuneElisa
  • I'm pleasantly surprised. Usually the show is in hot mess mode by this point in the season, but this was pretty restrained and the characterization is still consistent.

My theory is that John will be the final trophy, for thou shalt not kill.
    April_May_Juneamyja89UnderwoodElisa
  • I know this is petty but I really wanted to dislike Evan Peters this season. I thoroughly enjoyed his portrayal of Tate Langdon in Murder House and Kit (Walker?) in Asylum but I was underwhemed by his roles in both Coven and Freakshow. And when I learned that in real life he lets Emma Whatsherface smack him around I really just wanted to hate him again this season. But I don't! I think this some superb acting on his part. Maybe even dare-I-say emmy-nod worthy?

Liz Taylor getting all up in Jon's face may have been my very favorite scene of the season so far. Definitely for this episode. I mean, how boring that they made it blatantly clear that Jon was the TCK and then devoted a whole episode to what - clarifying the point? Yeah we know. We got it. We're probably a more insightful audience than say those of other popular horror genre dramas, so when you spent the whole season dropping hints that Jon was the TCK, we picked them up. Besides the trope of having someone investigating a crime they are responsible for but "forgot" isn't a new one. It's been done before and this wasn't any more particularity interesting than any of those other times. 

And I am glad they finally addressed the nature of Sally's deal with March. I was afraid it might end up as an unfinished subplot... like the little army of vampire children that were created a few weeks ago. Surely it doesn't take THAT long for that many little monsters to cause some major chaos. Shouldn't we have heard something about that by now? In all fairness we may have and they may have addressed it when I dozed off during one of the more tedious parts of the story.
  • UnderwoodUnderwood Philadelphia, PA
    I'm with ya @Tonya, I haven't been a huge Evan Peters fan in the past. Even in the beginning of this season I thought his fake accent was garbage, but it looks like he's going for that on purpose and doing a pretty nice job at it. The whole cast is doing a really nice job this year.
    Elisa
  • HeffHeff Connecticut
    I'm not sure that I'm willing to make this an official prediction, but my head-canon says JPM is not just looking to complete his trophy case, but to return to life, free himself from the Cortez, and personally kill again.
    He's been searching for someone for a long time, training a string of killers who somehow have never contributed to the case before being captured or killed. He has an almost phsical need to kill, or at least see, hear or otherwise vicariously kill through his students, John, or Elizabeth. John saw a hallucination of himself AS March.

What if the "black aura" that March referred to didn't just indicate John as a killer, but as a target for possession, allowing March to take over his body? Maybe when John completes the case, March will inhabit his body and walk out of the hotel to begin his second murder spree.

Bonus points if his return to life is violently cut short by Valentino getting his revenge and killing March - completing his stated threat.

MichelleElisahypergenesbJJ_BordenCecily
    Jesus christ that's amazing. Are the Murphy Whisperer or something, Heff?
    Cecily
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    Didn't Murphy say that this season was going to tie in all the previous seasons? So far we have only had a concrete reference to Murder House, or am I forgetting?
    Elisa