Any Traders Among Us?

HatorianHatorian Dagobah
edited December 2015 in General
Interested to know if there are any stock/forex traders amongst the Bald Move family? either as a job or just a casual investor? Wouldn't mind sharing some ideas and strategies if there is. I mainly stick to forex. Im pretty small scale but have been doing it for the past couple of years. i'm certainly no big shot wolf of wall street. 
Freddy

Comments

• FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Damn it, Freddy. "Trader," not "traitor." Always get those two confused, so no, unfortunately, this thread does not apply to me.
    Hatorian
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited December 2015

I don't really do anything beyond managing my way too small retirement account and my batting average isn't the best but I do find the whole stock market thing pretty interesting. I feel like I've made some decent bets on the future, but I'm kind of getting pummeled at the moment. It's been a rough couple of months to be sure.

Really what I've learned (despite not taking my own advice on the matter enough) is that mutual funds are the way to go. The highs certainly aren't as high, but they're way safer and the ones that I have held really perform way better than my guesses have been (aside from when I hit 3D Systems somewhat early on unfortunately not with nearly as many shares as I wish I had).

• Yea. my biggest regret was not buying Netflix when it plunged to $70. 
    Travis
  • Yea I think mutual funds would be more of a retirement plan in terms of investment. Trying to make some disposable income and maybe "hit a Homerun" probably ain't the play then.
    Travis
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited December 2015

One stock that I unfortunately bought right before it took a hit for an earnings shortage that dumped the stock down significantly (~20%) was NXP Semiconductor (NXPI). I have faith in their future because they're currently the biggest hitter that I'm aware of in the whole "pay with your phone" movement, and I think they're a solid buy, but I don't know what I'm doing. They may be something to read up on a little. I also like, but recently took a similarly big hit on Sierra Wireless (SWIR) who is one of the biggest players in the whole "internet of things" connectivity movement. They're in the crapper at the moment so either they're good to avoid or it's a fantastic time to buy.

Certainly never take my word for anything (I can't emphasize enough how little I know about evaluating companies. I mostly look at what I think are good trends to grab onto and who is making innovations that I think will stick), but both of those are things I'm holding that are down at the moment.

Hatorian
This discussion has been closed.