Official Direct Thread: Inglourious Basterds

This is your official thread for QT's Inglourious Basterds. Favorite moments? Fan theories? References? Lines? Characters? Discuss! 

Comments

• Favorite quotes/things:

1. Brad Pitt pretending not to be able to do a more passable Italian accent...A reever-dare-chi.

2. "There's a special rung in hell reserved for people who waste good scotch." So true.

3. The entire basement tavern scene is just gold.

4. "I know this is a silly question before I ask it, but can you Americans speak any other language besides English?

chuck1991James
  • Inglourious Basterds has three of my very favorite Tarantino scenes; the opening scene, the basement tavern scene, and the strudel scene.

I also love how big of a role language plays in this film. Of course you have the opening scene where the language shift is a key component of the story and character actions. But you've also got the brilliant commentary on accents and even little cultural differences like which fingers you use to count. It really makes you think about just how hard it would be to be a spy in another country and completely slip in under the radar. And then of course, there's the really funny commentary on Americans and dodgy accents and inability to speak another language. It's interesting, a lot of my friends hated Cristoph Waltz's line reading of "That's a bingo!", but I think that must be what it feels like to hear an actor not from your country try to speak in your language or speak using your accent. I definitely think that was intentionally.

Lastly, I think it's really interesting how this movie shows the power of cinema. Of course, film literally saves the day. But you also get that interesting moment when Shosanna, who rightfully loathes Frederick throughout the film, sees him writ large on the big screen in the propaganda film and has some sense of compassion/empathy/sympathy (not really sure what emotion it is). This moment of hesitation on her part ends up getting her killed. I also think that Inglourious Basterds itself makes us feel a sense of compassion towards characters we would never otherwise feel compassion for (Frederick, Wilhelm, the guy who gets his head bashed in). These are all characters serving the Reich and yet they are so human, that I can't help but feel something for them.

And the Basterds are the ones who are caricatures. Very interesting reversal in a film that's all about fantasy revenge on the Nazis. Lastly, I think the performances (Brad Pitt aside, though it doesn't bother me as much as it used to) are stellar. Christoph Waltz, Michael Fassbender, Diane Kruger, Melanie Laurent, Daniel Bruhl, and the list goes on.
    ryanfosterStellaJames
  • edited December 2015
    I agree with @DaveyMac about the language aspect of it. I also love that Tarantino has the guts to have over half of his movie to not be in English. The vast majority of Hollywood movies don't have the courage to feature extended scenes in foreign languages. Usually, if there is, say, a bunch of German characters, they're going to speak English among themselves, with an atrocious German accent. This can absolutely ruin a film for me.
    (Sidenote, the same is true for tv shows, and Narcos is the only one I can think of that features an extraordinary amount of foreign dialog.)
    DaveyMac
  • LukeLuke Central Illinois
    I watched it a few months ago completely spoiler free and man I did not see that ending coming. I was blown away, best Tarintino movie in a long time.
  • I think Dr. King Schultz is a bad guy in this film; his character is completely selfish and while he dissaproved brutality towards slaves he was still willing to use one to make money.Certainly Candy was more evil and I was happy to watch him die, but Schultz's ego got dozens of people killed and nearly got Django killed while dooming his wife to a fate worse than death.

They could have easily offered Candy a high sum for Broomhilda from the get-go; at the end of the day Candy was a business man and they had plenty of cash. But in an effort to save a buck and satiate his obsession with performance, Schultz puts everyone in danger by setting up a giant ruse. His plan is to defraud Candy and get Broomhilda for a low price. When Candy gets rightfully upset at uncovering the plot, he still provides an option for Django to take his wife with nobody getting hurt. But the humiliating nature of the situation causes Schultz to completely disregard his friends' safety and shootCandy purely out of pride.

This is my favorite Tarantino film. It's beautiful, it's fun, and it deals with slavery in an interesting way. While I understand why people may have viewed King Schultz as a heroic figure working with Django, I believe that Django was able to become heroic in spite of him.
  • HeffHeff Connecticut
    EMAW42 said:

I think Dr. King Schultz is a bad guy in this film;

Yeah, the scene where he shot all those Jewish people cemented that pretty neatly, but clearly Candie didn't kill him, as he was able to jump in the nearby, waiting Delorean to warp to the 1940s!

(I think you clicked on the wrong thread! :D)
    ksa1001
  • Heff said:

EMAW42 said:

I think Dr. King Schultz is a bad guy in this film;

Yeah, the scene where he shot all those Jewish people cemented that pretty neatly, but clearly Candie didn't kill him, as he was able to jump in the nearby, waiting Delorean to warp to the 1940s!

(I think you clicked on the wrong thread! :D)
    Haha oh shit, I can't read!

• Very late to the party, but very surprised there wasn't more in this thread. 

Until Sunday, this was the ONLY QT flick that I only saw once.

Liked it, but I am sad to admit that I was thrown off by the amount of subtitles and didn't rush to re-watch as I usually do his films.

It wasn't from a solely lazy POV on my end, I just know that his films are all about the language and the way the words flow from the actors, and I feel READING it is quite different.

Well I was very pleased that after my 2nd viewing on the 27th, WOW. This played a lot better than I remembered. It was brisk for the length, the subtitles didn't bother me nearly as much [thanks Narcos] and it was surprisingly a lot more fun than I remembered. Brad Pitt seemed to be having the best time in the world, and that accent was hilarious in it's own right. Waltz' Oscar was well-deserved and the film is at once both mature and gleeful in it's zeal for violence and black comedy.
    DaveyMacryanfoster
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Both Django and Basterds have around 2 1/2 hours of run-time, but you'd have never guessed it. For example, Attack of the Clones has about the same length...but you feel the minutes inching by at a snail's pace. Never once have I wondered when the movie would be ending with either of those other two.
    DaveyMacksa1001
  • Just wanted to revive this thread for a moment to say that anyone who loves Inglourious Basterds and wants more should definitely pick up the screenplay. I'm reading it right now and there are several scenes and a bunch of dialogue in it that were cut entirely from the film that fill in the back story a bit more. Ultimately, I think it was wise to cut a lot of the stuff, but it's really interesting to read.
    Wahl-e
  • I have never thought to pick up a QT script, but I bet there's a bunch of fascinating things that don't survive the cutting room floor with Tarantino's seemingly bottomless energy. I will have to give it a try sometime.

Also, I constantly use the line, "That's a damn fine deal," in daily life with my best brad-pitt-and-accent.
    DaveyMac
  • I had never read a Tarantino script either until I heard this conversation with Elvis Mitchell on the treatment: http://www.kcrw.com/news-culture/shows/the-treatment/quentin-tarantino-the-hateful-eight

They talk a lot about how his scripts contain a lot of stuff that never makes it to the screen, so I picked up a couple. Tarantino's energy really does come through in the text and the two that I've read so far were as enjoyable to read as they were to watch. And I was surprised at just how much was in the Inglourious Basterds script that never made it to the screen.
    levij