How does everyone rank the seasons so far?

chriskchrisk Indianapolis
edited December 2014 in Justified
I don't like Season 2 quite as much as many people seem to. Loved Margo Martingale, but I thought at the time that the Bennetts had a bit too much of the Fratellis from Goonies in them. I found it hard to buy the two sons as threatening villains, though Dickie improved as the show progressed. Also wasn't a big fan of the story with the coal company representative, and her conflict with Mags. Also seemed to me like they didn't quite know what to do with Boyd that season, which has been an intermittent problem since.

I was a big fan of Season 3 and Quarles, however. Liked the addition of Limehouse and was mostly fine with Boyd and Ava's storylines. Wynn Duffy was a great foil for Quarles and overall I thought it felt the most Elmore Leonard of any of the seasons.

For me it goes:

3,2,4,1,5 though I could probably interchange 4 and 2.

Comments

• A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Tough call. I think 2 is clearly superior. At the time, I thought Justified was poised to take The Leap like Breaking Bad, but in hindsight it seems that season two represents Justified punching way above it's weight class. If you take the two episodes out involving Raylan helping his ex out of the evidence room cash fiasco, it's damn near perfect. Credit where it's due, a lot of that came straight off the page from Raylan, but Margo and Dickie and Loretta were just perfect casting and execution.

Season 3 was a significant downgrade, but still excellent. By that I mean Justified Season Two is near-pantheon level of enjoyment for me, while season 3 was "just" excellent. Season four had a lot of promise, and the three episode arc to end it was memorable, and season five... oof. Crowes < Bennett

For me; 2, 3, 4, 1, 5
  • @chrisk‌ I go with the same order that you do except that I have a more significant gap between 2 and 4. I would say that I like season 3 just a hair more than 2. I wasn't quite as down on season 5 as others seemed to be, but it is definitely the weakest season. I have really high hopes for this season.
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    I think 3 is more of what I'd like Justified to be. Offhand I'd guess that it's also the funniest season, but I'd have to watch again to be sure. My favorite Leonard movie is Out of Sight, and I think the tone is very similar to that in Seasons 3 and 4. Season 2 is very good, but I think a hair too far on the serious side for my taste.
  • Out of Sight is fantastic. My wife and I just dusted that one off a month or two ago. Such a fun movie.
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited December 2014
    You guys like Out of Sight more than Jackie Brown? Like them both, but to me it's the difference between JV and Varsity.
  • I liked Jackie Brown, to be sure, but Out of Sight is just so damned charming and fun. I also haven't seen Jackie Brown in about a decade so it may be an "out of sight, out of mind" thing (no pun intended).
  • I'm with A.Ron. 2, 3, 4, 1, 5. For me, S2 is far superior to all the others. 3 and 4 had some nice stretches, but they didn't add up to as complete and rich story as they did in S2. Justified was an interesting storytelling experiment - figuring out how to balance procedural/episodic stories with season-long serialized stories. What makes S2 stand out for me, was the success of the serialized story, without the episodic arcs pulling it down.
  • I definitely get that it would be the common sentiment that season 2 is better. I may even concede that it is "better television" for the reasons that you just said, but I find season 3 just a tiny bit more enjoyable. I really liked Wynn Duffy becoming a regular (he's probably my favorite non Boyd or Raylan character, at least for larger doses) and I liked Quarrels (even though I will admit that the whole thing got too cartoonish at the end), and I liked Limehouse and he was still pretty ambiguous and felt very dangerous. I think season 2 was more consistent and had a far more satisfying conclusion and it had Margot Martindale's amazing performance, but I got a lot higher on the highs of season 3. It certainly had some lows, but I like it just a hair more.
  • 1. Winter
    2. Summer
    3. Fall
    4. Spring
  • Season 5 may be the weakest season, but my wife and I are re-watching it now and there is still some great television in there. The scene where Dewey prays to God for help in killing Wade Messer is fucking hilarious. I think it might be the funniest moment of the entire show.

• chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    edited May 2015
    I thought Dewey was ridiculous first season, but really came to love him as a character. It shouldn't surprise me anymore, but I was amazed to find out the actor is Australian. 
    Travis