209 - "She Wants Revenge"

Director:  Michael Uppendahl
Writer: Brad Falchuk

Comments

• CecilyCecily Cincinnati
    Just checked IMDB, we'll be getting 3 more in January.
    MichelleNikkiP
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Oh shit! We jumped back to the main timeline!
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Get your own damn flo-warrrzzzz. I wish I had as much fun doing anything as Dennis O'hare does doing everything.
    CecilycussbotMichelleTonyaElisa
  • MichelleMichelle California
    If he doesn't get an Emmy nod for this role, it'd be a travesty.  Brilliant performance, week after week.
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    This might be heresy, but the Scream Queens (Ryan Murphy's other joint) finale was last night, and that was so good that AHS feels almost anti-climactic at this point. I watched 20 minutes of this episode until my Xbox had a fit and froze up, and I didn't even try to continue. AHS is an excellent show, and I am on record as a huge fan, but I am so much more inclined to start a Scream Queens rewatch than to finish this episode. 
    JJ_Borden
  • NympheriaNympheria Oslo, Norway
    I liked that the episode drove the plot forward, and finally adressed the glampire children, but some of the acting was so over the top, it took me out of the episode. I gave it 15 minutes, and then started playing on my phone as I was watching it. 

To be fair, an AHS episode is usually on for  5-10 minutes before the phone is in my hands, so this was certainly an above average episode.
    A_Ron_HubbardElisa
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    Nympheria said:

I liked that the episode drove the plot forward, and finally adressed the glampire children, but some of the acting was so over the top, it took me out of the episode. I gave it 15 minutes, and then started playing on my phone as I was watching it. 

To be fair, an AHS episode is usually on for  5-10 minutes before the phone is in my hands, so this was certainly an above average episode.
    Same here... Fargo is the only current show that I watch and don't realize how quickly time is passing. AHS is good, but it's not enthralling.

? For previous AHS seasons watchers - which one was the best? Hotel is my first season, and I'd like to watch a past season! (There was a circus season? With a clown? I don't know if I can watch that one
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    edited December 2015
    It didn't strike me until today how much this season has reminded me of The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Take the two protagonists, Lady Gaga and Frank N Furter, two sexed up, sassy, beautiful creatures, both possessing of other worldly qualities, amass a consistent following of devotees and lovers, only to see their created universes start to crumble around them.

In a scene in Rocky Horror, Columbia, one of Frank N Furter's long time devotees finally snaps and gives this little speech:

"My God! I can't stand any more of this! First you spurn me for Eddie, and then you throw him off like an old overcoat for Rocky! You chew people up and then spit them out again ... I loved you ... do you hear me? I loved you! And what did it get me? Yeah, I'll tell you: a big nothing. You're like a sponge. You take, take, take, and drain others of their love and emotion, Yeah, well, I've had enough."

Does this not sound like a pitch perfect description of the Countess and any one of her instances of moving from lover to lover? Given that Ryan Murphy did a whole Rocky Horror episode on Glee, I've got to think that this is completely intended.

Obviously we are not at the end of the Countesses story yet, but if the Rocky Horror simile continues, I'd predict that Gaga gets killed by two of her previously most trusted servants, my guess would be Liz Taylor and Donovan, just as Frank N Furter is killed by Riff Raff and Magenta in the movie.

Elisa
  • @Frakkin T, I'm surprised on your love for Scream Queens, but I will watch the finale. I picked up last week's episode after missing a few and found I didn't even need to catch up. I find some parts of each episode really funny, but otherwise I don't seem to get it.
    Elisa
    @TaraC73 I would recommend season1, which doesn't officially have a name but has been dubbed "Murder House" by fans. It is the season that started it all, and is my favorite after "Hotel". Lots of gore and suspense and the amazing Dennis O'Hare and Jessica Lange. Well worth it.
    TaraC73John_Nada
  • HeffHeff Connecticut
    @TaraC73 personally, I think Hotel is the best season, with Coven (S3) and Murder House (S1) in second and third place, respectively.

I like that in this episode, we saw the return of the Vampocalypse kiddies, and I actually thought it was really smart that although they've had some good ideas (killing off their parents in order to retain some level of anonymity, telling the same lie to the police at the school) they're also still kids, and aren't thinking everything through entirely. I'm curious to see where this part of the story will go. It does seem like they're pushing Alex into a coven-queen type role now, although they've written her so inconsistently she might only have been there to remind us that the vampkids exist.

Glad to see they didn't forget Valentino and A.Ron's nudiecrush exist, and this gives me hope for my possession theory! I'm curious to see where things go with Donovan/Iris and the Countess now, since Donovan seems to have found out her true intentions now. I'm picturing a final lineup of Donovan, Iris, Angela Basset and Liz Taylor against Elizabeth, Valentino, March, and Jon, since that's how the lines seem to be shifting.

Am I the only one who thought Liz Taylor's best line was the objection to the Countess' marriage? The venom was palpable.
    Michelle
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    Also, some slight spoilers, although from the horses mouth so not so secret I guess...

Highlight under the line!

------

Sarah Paulson will be in the American Horror Story: Hotel finale as Sally, but also as another character from her AHS past. Sarah will appear as Billie Dean, Jessica Lange‘s psychic confidant in the very first season of the show.
    Elisa
    Heff said:

@TaraC73 personally, I think Hotel is the best season, with Coven (S3) and Murder House (S1) in second and third place, respectively.

Glad to see they didn't forget Valentino and A.Ron's nudiecrush exist, and this gives me hope for my possession theory! I'm curious to see where things go with Donovan/Iris and the Countess now, since Donovan seems to have found out her true intentions now. I'm picturing a final lineup of Donovan, Iris, Angela Basset and Liz Taylor against Elizabeth, Valentino, March, and Jon, since that's how the lines seem to be shifting.

Am I the only one who thought Liz Taylor's best line was the objection to the Countess' marriage? The venom was palpable.

You didn't think Coven felt a bit CW-ish?  I always get that feeling when the main characters are teens to early 20's, especially a group of girls.  That's magnified when you throw Emma Roberts and Taissa Farmiga in the mix, then add a frat and some jocks. 

I might have missed it - what's your possession theory?  You were right on the nose about Jon, so I'm very curious about this.

Also loving that they are sticking with the Valentino story and how it plays out for Elizabeth.  I have a feeling that he's going to turn on her, though.  When she wanted to bring him back to the hotel and mentioned Nudiecrush dying in some way, essentially excluding her from the plans, you see him get an uncomfortable look on his face as if he's unsure of Eliz now.  I feel as though he is going to think twice about this great love of his as he begins to see the person she's become.  Also, since March sealed Valentino and Nudiecrush up in that corridor for decades, I can only imagine that Valentino is going to want revenge on him, so I don't see them being on the same side.

Liz slamming Eliz after being asked to get the flowers for the wedding was just so, so good.  I love fierce Liz, although she's always fierce.  I believe she has the best lines of every episode.  The fact that Denis O'Hare was snubbed of a Golden Globe nom is just shocking.  His overall talent is just immeasurable, but even more so in this role.

Was anyone else shocked that Donovan turned on Ramona?  I didn't see that coming.  
    Speaking of Ramona, I really enjoyed the backstory with her parents.  What she did for her father is something I think any daughter or son would do in order to see their parent healthy and thriving again.  Maybe not to the extreme of having them feed off of you, but I think most of us (unless you have or had shitty parents) would do anything to keep them around. 

One final thing, I created a thread for this but I have created an AHS: Hotel playlist on Spotify.  It's all the music in order, from the pilot through last night.  https://play.spotify.com/user/12148443002/playlist/5EHxxHdnIVSJNiylGcw9F2

ElisaNikkiP
  • HeffHeff Connecticut
    @Michelle I posted this the other day back in the thread for the Ten Commandments Killer episode. I don't know that I would call this a real prediction, but there is at least some evidence or possible hints which might back it up.
    Heff said:

I'm not sure that I'm willing to
    make this an official prediction, but my head-canon says JPM is not just
    looking to complete his trophy case, but to return to life, free
    himself from the Cortez, and personally kill again.

He's been searching for someone for a long time, training a string of
    killers who somehow have never contributed to the case before being
    captured or killed. He has an almost phsical need to kill, or at least
    see, hear or otherwise vicariously kill through his students, John, or
    Elizabeth. John saw a hallucination of himself AS March.

What if the "black aura" that March referred to didn't just indicate
    John as a killer, but as a target for possession, allowing March to take
    over his body? Maybe when John completes the case, March will inhabit
    his body and walk out of the hotel to begin his second murder spree.

Bonus points if his return to life is violently cut short by Valentino
    getting his revenge and killing March - completing his stated threat.

Valentino mentioned his desire to kill March again last night, with Elizabeth pointing out that March is already dead. Call it wishful thinking, but to me, that could easily be foreshadowing or purposeful misdirection.

Or it could just be to point out the fact that March is dead and can't be killed again. I have no idea.
    MichelleElisa
  • NathanNathan Winterfell, The North, Westeros
    Point to note:

By my count(ess), Gaga has had sex scenes in 8 out of 9 episodes.

AHS is turning into Lady Gaga: Sex Tape: The TV Show.

Also, Liz with those flowerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrs
    Cecily
  • NympheriaNympheria Oslo, Norway
    My favourite is Asylum, but I can't really adequately explain why... All of AHS has their ups and downs, but I thought that season was the most gripping as far as characters and plots go. And it also wrapped up nicely, I thought.

Coven and Murder House are okay, but from my perspective in mental health care, and knowing the amount of fucks we gave about mental health in previous decades, Asylum speaks to me in a deeper way, I think.
    Elisa
  • Ramona will probably be out of captivity by the midpoint of the next episode. No subplot lasts long on AHS. It was pretty foolish to kill the food when she could drink a little here and there to make it last longer.

Glad they actually laid groundwork for the reveal about March and the laundress instead of just springing it on us all of a sudden. Look at Murphy trying to build character.

Elisa
    Is Donovan a vampire?
    Yes, Elizabeth turned him after he was od'ing with Sally in '94.
    That's right @Michelle thanks!
    Michelle