Serial is back!

Season 2 Ep 1 is now live!

Spoiler alert: #MailKimp

FlashGordonNikkiPUnderwoodTravisElisaStellaksa1001

Comments

• TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
  • Yeh I'm looking forward to it, not so much looking forward to reddit debate about whether he's a patriot or traitor
    Traitor. Wonder if the podcast will change my mind lol.
    steph_bksa1001
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    What?! Excellent news. I was kind of getting good bored with Harmontown.
    TravisElisa
  • Awesome! Looking forward to it. 
    Elisa
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA

Season 2 Ep 1 is now live!

Spoiler alert: #MailKimp

MailKimp never fails to crack me up. I just don't get it!
  • StellaStella Annapolis
    A colleague and I used the first season of Serial as the primary text for a course called "The Nature of Knowledge" this summer and again this fall with awesome outcomes. Super-excited to see the latest episode pop up in my feed this morning! 
    Elisa
  • Listening to it now.
    Elisa
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    Ahhhhh yeah, the most anticipated entertainment event of the year is finally here.
    Elisa
  • BlanchBlanch Tempe, Az
    A total surprise this morning! Cant wait to see what this season brings
    Elisa
  • It hasn't loaded on my podcast app. Is it in the same feed as last season?
  • Yeah, it's in the same feed.  I refreshed and got the episode.
  • edited December 2015
    So which sociopath is Sarah Koenig going to be bias towards this season?
  • First episode was good but definitely a table setter (although it was fascinating to hear Bergdahl articulate his supposed reason for leaving) ... but next week sounds awesome. Sarah Koenig, chatting with the Taliban, no big deal!
    Elisa
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    Just finished first episode, started off sort of detached from it because I have literally no knowledge of anything military, especially American military, but by the end I was hooked!

What an absolutely crazy plan for Bowe to think to execute, and Sarah being all "oh hey, Taliban, it's me!" at the end made me laugh out loud. Can't wait for next week!
    Elisa
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    Is this thread for the whole season or can we get episode threads, @jim @A_Ron_Hubbard

Anyway man this dudes plan was fucking dumb, have a hard time finding sympathy with his current situation so far but hopefully as the season goes they can change my mind a hundred times like they did season 1. Can't wait to hear what the Taliban say, oh yeah didn't know it was so easy to contact them guys.

Also that remix of the Serial theme was awesome, this podcast has a great music.
    ElisaTravis
  • edited December 2015
    I wasn't aware of this story. Interesting that they were considering making a movie about it, because my initial impression is that when he walked off his post, he was in a mental place that people could only understand through a movie or tv show. So far I wonder if there was a mental health issue like being overwhelmed by extreme anxiety, and I say that without placing any stigma on mental illnesses. People have walked away from their entire lives or faked their deaths under less stress than combat. Alternatively, I wonder if he had a privileged or coddled life before the military that didn't prepare him to just be another person who feels insignificant sometimes.

Really want to learn more about that place he was in when he made this decision. It caused a lot of grief for a lot of people. All I can definitively say so far is that it's probably a mistake to try to understand what he did by comparing it to what the average person would do. It's pretty clear that he rationalizes things differently than "normal."
    ElisaDaveyMacTravissteph_b
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    That bit about when he would wake in the pitch dark basement and forget what he "was"...holy shit that was powerful.  I imagine if you are sense deprived for a long enough time your mind does things we probably cant even understand at this point. 
    DaveyMacUnderwoodTravisNikkiP
  • DaveyMacDaveyMac Tokyo
    edited December 2015
    One episode in and I'm already hooked on this season and fascinated by this story. I vaguely remember the headlines, but I am really looking forward to the deep dive. 
    Travis
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I'm torn between sympathy for this man who is / was clearly unstable, the implausibility and commensurate lack of interest in his "plan", and the core belief that this is just no way for a soldier to behave.  I mean, if you want to pull some political activist shit as a serviceman/woman, there is a 99% chance that jail time or worse is going to be in your future.  Which would make that kind of stunt sort of noble if you agree with the politics of it, but that's not going to necessarily get you out of the punishment.

A lot of people don't think of that when they plan civil disobedience.  So, I'm finding myself more "meh" on this season as presently presented, certainly not as immediately compelling as the Adnan case. 
    Elisasteph_bksa1001
  • NikkiP said:

Really want to learn more about that place he was in when he made this decision. It caused a lot of grief for a lot of people. All I can definitively say so far is that it's probably a mistake to try to understand what he did by comparing it to what the average person would do. It's pretty clear that he rationalizes things differently than "normal."

I've listened to it twice now and this is exactly what keeps cycling through my head. I mean, I don't know what the story is going to be and I definitely get the seriousness of what he did, but I'm going to listen to his story with an open mind. One note that annoyed me a little from this morning's news was that they said without any other context that he "compared himself to Jason Borne" when he more or less said that he "wanted to be Jason Borne" which I think is an unfortunate distinction to miss. I can see how it would be screwed up in the bullet points but it represents miles of psychology. Saying "man I was naïve" vs. still standing hubris is a pretty big canyon.

What I am most curious to understand out of the gates is, I really want to hear about his plan and the legitimacy of his claim against his superiors from a completely outside and impartial source. Was he correct about the danger that he wanted people alerted to and given that it was short sighted does any of this make any sense to someone with the background to measure its validity? These are things that I just can't fathom and it's what I most wanted to understand leaving the episode.

Also, @aberry89 is totally right. That whole thing about the pitch black basement is simply terrifying and incredibly powerful. I can imagine just well enough to feel the weight of how much I can't possibly imagine it. 

NikkiPEmmelyne
  • MichelleMichelle California
    I just started listening to this podcast after reading several glowing reviews and after a couple of friends mentioned it to me.  I am only on the second episode of season 1 and I am *way* in on this.  I know you guys are well beyond this case, but I have my own thoughts about who killed this girl and whether or not Adnan is really guilty.   Please don't spoil me on the outcome though!  :)
    TravisNikkiPTaraC73Elisa
    I don't have any sympathy for him yet, I probably won't either... If you're enlisted, you finish out your time. He literally left his unit high and dry. Maybe if they prove he was mentally unstable before his capture my opinion of him will change - unfortunately I don't think we will ever know if that was the case because being imprisoned like he was for so long changes your very core being, and im sure all remnants of his former self are gone. It's still interesting to listen to, I'll keep up.
    Elisa
  • ArctorArctor The Netherlands
    Last season's core was "Adnan guilty or not"

I'm calling this season now: "Bergdahl CIA operative or not"

Super excited.
    Emmelyne
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    Arctor said:

Last season's core was "Adnan guilty or not"

I'm calling this season now: "Bergdahl CIA operative or not"

Super excited.

I mean if he was CIA he wouldn't be going through the Court Marshall. I'm pretty sure the hook is did he honestly try to execute his plan or was he a Taliban sympathizer.
    @Drew Why wouldn't he? It's part of the job to accept the consequences and cut ties in a botched operation.

And anyways... this was a weird period. Remember when Dick Cheney burned a spy on live national television? Good times :)
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    @Arctor im actually not aware of the Cheney situation you're talking about, give me the deets.

As for him being CIA, they would seriously just let their boy take the fall? I thought that was just movie shit to make secret agents sound cooler.
  • MmmBopMmmBop United Kingdom
    Not keen on this new subject for Serial. The first episode did not grab my attention at all.
    Elisaksa1001
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I dug it, I will give it a whirl. I am sure the scope of this thing will change as it goes on. But yeah, I agree with others, Bergdahl does not come across as sympathetic at all. That could be the key to this whole thing working or not working.
    Elisa
    edited December 2015
    @Drew My bad, it wasn't tv but a column in a newspaper :P

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valerie_Plame#.22Plamegate.22

She also did an interview on, I think, CNN where she was like 'what the fuck just happened?'

Well if Bergdahl was a spook I'd say the Obama admin went through great lengths to get him back considering the great PR for the Taliban. The government must've been in the loop on all the angles to this story that emerged later and decided it was worth it to send an SF team.

He could've also just been a regular asset with a handler in the CIA, pressured or otherwise persuaded to go do some shady stuff at night, maybe with promises of drone coverage or extraction-teams and medals of honor or something...
    Travis