Introducing my kids to the Star Wars universe

SdubSdub Cincinnati
A couple of things to check out... if you haven't already.
  • Plinkett's Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace Review - THE definitive review that sums up why the prequel trilogy was an affront to mankind.
  • Harmy's Despecialized Trilogy - An insanely great recreation of the ORIGINAL trilogy in the highest possible quality... something Lucas will never release. He's stated that he hopes that over time the orignal VHS tapes fade away and all that's left is the special edition crap. The despecialized edition has pieced together, frame by frame, all of the best quality releases (Blu Ray, Laserdisc, etc.) to preserve the original theatrical versions.
  • Star Wars Episode III.I - Turn to the Dark Side - Topher Grace allegedly cut together his own version of the prequel trilogy, cutting all of the unecessary crap to make what was said to be a pretty decent single prequel film. He's never shown it outside his home (for obvious reasons). "Turn to the Dark Side" is based on the same narrative flow that Topher Grace described. I've watched it, and it's awesome. It can be found on the dark side of the Internet in the usual places.
I'm exactly the same age as A.Ron and have a daughter in 3rd grade that I'm introducing to the Star Wars universe for the first time. I spent a long time trying to decide the best sequence of films... I finally decided on IV - V - III.I - VI. I think the extended break between Empire and Jedi adds to the story, and makes Luke's arrival at Jabba's Hut that much more dramatic... Why is he dressed all in black? Why is he choking people out like Vader? Has the anger from the Empire cliffhanger forced Luke the dark side???

We've gotten through IV and V together so far... We're opting to take it slow. She made an audible gasp when Darth delivered the "I am your father" line. Dream come true. A.Ron, how did you introduce the trilogy to your son?

Comments

• SdubSdub Cincinnati
    edited December 2014
    Star Wars: Episode VII Trailer - George Lucas' Special Edition

• A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    We watched ANH, ESB, and ROTJ over a long Christmas Break week. I didn't care to show him the prequels, because Episode 3 is way too grisly for an (at the time) five year old. I think you're doing it right, though. You could argue that you don't even need to show her I and II, just Empire > Sith > Jedi would be pretty rocking.