Top 5 TV Characters and Why?

HatorianHatorian Dagobah
edited December 2015 in General
There might be a post for this already. I took a half-assed look and didnt see anything. Apologies if it already exists. Wanted to see what people believe are their favorite TV characters. No rhyme or reason. Could be about their arc or could simply be who they are. Anything goes. drama, comedy, whatever. 

1. Walter White: Mr chips to scarface. Such an amazing arc. Not much else to say. Best character ever in the best drama ever. 
2. Nora Durst: Really the inspiration for this discussion since i just finished the first 2 seasons. She seriously inspires me as someone who probably went through the most traumatic experience a parent could go through and she is still a bad ass. I have 2 kids and I've always told myself that life would end if something happened to them. I couldn't imagine going through what she did. Especially given here last moment with her kids. Amazing character.  
3. Sir Jaime Lanister the Kingslayer: Somehow he goes from being the biggest dickhead in the world to being one of the most likable characters on the show. A great character arc and now one of my favorite storylines on the show. 
4. Homer Simpson: Don't think I really need to explain this one. I have grown up with Homer my entire life. He personifies, in one way or another, almost ever dad on the planet. 
5. Spongebob Squarepants: Like i said i have 2 kids so I watch a lot of kids TV. Spongebob is something else. An adult child with such an amazing an optimistic view on life. 

Honorable mentions: Bender, Michael Scott, Al Bundy, Rick Grimes, Omar Little, Ash, Arya Stark, Morty

DeeDaveyMacTravisTonya

Comments

• DeeDee Adelaide
    No particular order:

Richard Harrow from Boardwalk Empire: Okay, he is definitely number one. Jack Huston did such a fantastic job of portraying a broken man who was basically invisible among a large group of dangerous, colourful people, and yet he was the most deadly of them all. I could bang on for hours about all the reasons I love that character.

Sam Weir from Freaks and Geeks: Again, kudos to the actor John Francis Daly for making the character of Sam so sweet and heartbreaking. Sam is an unashamed geek in a time when geeks are expected to be ashamed. His joy at spending time with his friends doing what he loves is gorgeous. The heartbreaking moment when his sister eggs him at Halloween is still one of those TV scenes that makes me cry every time. He's a lovely little boy enjoying his world and I love that.

Adriana la Cerva from The Sopranos: Comic relief early on, but she eventually became more layered and ultimately tragic. I can't say anything more without going into massive spoilers.

Bobby Hill from King Of The Hill: Such an under-rated show and so many great characters, but Bobby stands out for his general weirdness and, like Sam Weir, his joy of life. What can I say? Young boys going their own way break my heart in the best way. Also a favourite because every time the weather gets hot my daughter says to me (complete with her terrible attempt at a Southern accent), "Well, I need a window seat because this flower is wiltin'."

Pete Campbell from Mad Men: I know people think I'm crazy, and I know he's odious and the hardcore feminist in me should hate him, but I always, always sympathised with Pete.
    HatorianDummyDaveyMacAshleypavlovsbellTravisMichellesteph_b
  • I love this idea for a thread, but man that is a big question and I'm sure I'd come up with a new list every time I pondered the question, but here goes in no particular order:

Cedric Daniels from The Wire (So many great characters on The Wire, but he's the first one that popped into my head. One of the most level-headed characters on the show and while he does like to play things by the book, he's not afraid to stick his neck out when he has to. 

Walter White from Breaking Bad. It's an obvious choice, but damn what a performance and the writers\Cranston took me through nearly every conceivable emotion I could have towards a human being throughout the entire run of the series.

LaDonna from Treme (Also a lot of great characters to choose from in this show.) She's a strong character with a lot of fortitude.

Peggy and Joan from Mad Men (This one is kind of a cheat, but I absolutely loved the relationship between these two characters and anytime they were on screen together.

George Michael from Arrested Development (Again, so many great characters to choose from with this show.) I always found George Michael's awkward interactions both with his dad and his cousin Maeby to be hysterical. Never a dull moment when he's on screen. 

DeeHatorianAshleyTravis
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @DaveyMac George Michael is definitely in my top 10!
    DaveyMacTravis
  • AshleyAshley Atlanta, GA

Peggy Olson, Mad Men: Mad Men is my most favorite show of all time, and I have great affection for pretty much all of its characters. In fact, it was very hard not to just make this list Don, Pete, Peggy, Joan, and Roger. But when I think of Peggy's journey over seven seasons, it kind of astounds me. This mousy girl from Brooklyn turned into a grown-ass woman before our eyes, and I adored every bit of her talent, her confidence (sometimes overconfidence), her mistakes, her struggles. I was the same age as her throughout the series, and experienced a lot of the same concerns she did, so I think I felt even more of a connection to her for that reason.

Michonne, The Walking Dead: This is more of a personal thing than about her actual character, because I don't know that they've utilized her as well as they can. But it's been one of the great joys of my TV-watching life to see, not just a Black woman, but a dark-skinned Black woman as one of the leading ladies on the most popular show in the world. And to watch her story, from this stoic badass, to learning she's a mother, to watching her relationship with Carl and Rick, and hopefully, in this next half-season, finding love again. It's just really refreshing, because Black women are often put in boxes in Hollywood. Representation is so important, and that's one thing TWD does better than a lot of other shows. (Honorable mention: Suzanne Warren, OITNB)

Lucy Ricardo, I Love Lucy: My favorite comedy of all time, and probably a bit of nostalgia talking, because my mom had me watching ILL when I was like four. But I watch some of those episodes in pure awe of how funny she is. How shamelessly silly she is. She's been making me laugh with the same 180 episodes for nearly 30 years. (Honorable mention: Michael Scott, The Office)

Walter White, Breaking Bad: I'm not sure that I ever liked Walt, even if I didn't want him to fail for the first few seasons. Something about his relationship with Jesse kept me hooked until the bitter end. But he is one of the most well-written, superbly-acted characters to ever grace our television screens, and I love that he became the villain of his own story. So good. (Honorable mention: Tony Soprano, The Sopranos)

Will Smith, The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air: I love going back and watching old episodes now, and seeing the gifsets on Tumblr. This show was so great about exploring race and respectability politics while still being funny as hell. And Will Smith was the ultimate carefree Black kid, particularly at the beginning of the series. It never fails to make me smile.

DeeHatorianDaveyMacElisaTravissteph_b
  • FlashGordonFlashGordon Leeds, UK
    edited December 2015
    Tony Soprano - Sopranos

Rust Cohle - True Detective

Walter White - BrBa

Tyrion Lannister - GOT

Malcolm Tucker - The Thick of It

Honorable mention for Rick Sanchez -Rick & Morty and Edmund Blackadder  -Black Adder and Del Trotter - Only fools & horses, Al Swearengen DeadWood, Bubbles- Wire

Reason:I like bad ass anti heroes and loveable rogues 
    TravisHatorian
  • Most of my favorites have been already mentioned here, so I'll go with adding a couple that may not be among my "big" favorites but I have an absolute soft spot for them:

Walter Bishop, Fringe: He's hilariously funny, adorably child-like and super intelligent all at the same time. Plus he has great passion for good food, especially sweets, so how can you not like him?

Danny Rayburn, Bloodline: Not sure what it is, but even after everything was revealed at the end of the season, I still had some sympathy for him. I find him to be fascinating.

Gregory House, House M.D.: The character that single-handedly carried the series on his back, despite the episodes being really repetitive and predictable. Even when I hated the story, I still loved House.

Lagertha, Vikings: There isn't a more badass female character on television. She is beautiful, strong, and smart.

Ben Linus, Lost: As with Danny Rayburn; I can't resist characters that you can just never fully figure out.
    DaveyMacElisaHatorianTravisEmmelyne
  • @Reni I've never seen House or Vikings, but great picks with Walter, Ben, and Danny. I, too, loved Walter and was endlessly fascinated by both Ben and Danny. 
    Reni
  • Bubbles, The Wire

One of the classic tragic figures of television history. Though he doesn't get a lot of screen time, you get to follow a man who has lived a hard life, struggling with addiction, poverty, homelessness and yet still basically looking for ways to be a better person and do good in the world, as much as he can.

Walter White, Breaking Bad

Revolutionary in terms of the most dramatic change of a character over the course of a television show.

Commander Adama, Battlestar Galactica

I'm not much for war. But here is a military commander written and acted so well that I would follow him into battle and feel proud to be serving under him.

Tyron Lannister, Game of Thrones

He is cursed with being a little person in a world that despises and ridicules little people, and also blessed with being the most privileged and powerful little person in the world. He understands both points well and doesn't completely take his privilege for granted, knowing that his family is a bunch of assholes, even as he wallows in self-pity, unable to get the love from his father he desperately wants.

Hurley, Lost

The Everyman, yet also the fat guy. His character was so easy to relate to that he helped trick millions of people into watching a science fiction show who might never otherwise have watched one. At first used often for comic relief, he then later became central to the story, vying with the more beautiful characters in terms of importance.
    HatorianDaveyMacTaraC73
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    edited December 2015
    1 Leslie Nope Parks and Rec, I just loved her she had the spunk of Mary Richards ( Mary Tyler Moore) and the mischief of Lucy.

2 Patsy Absolutly Fabulous, So evil, when she burned Eddies kid with her cigarette, I was rolling on the floor. Her acting career consisted of a soft core James Bond rip off.

3 Jim from Taxi, whaa?

4 Aria Stark GOT I loved her stuff more in the books but she is still the best psycho assassin on TV.

5 Captain Kirk, "we come in peace, shoot to kill"

HatorianTonyaTravis
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    My brain locks up on a thread like this. Just five?  Does that mean I just list the first five memorable characters and spit it out there and then I'm done?  Or does it mean I need to take a few days to mentally and physically catalog them and hash it out with myself and then list my top five?  And oh shit, several people said the same thing as I did, should I make some alternate selections so I don't just go "ditto"?  

I feel like the expectation is the former but what I actually do is the latter which is why I almost never post to these things.  See also; why The Wire podcast might not actually ever be a thing that is finished. 
    pavlovsbellZinzanElisaTravisDaveyMac
  • MichelleMichelle California
    kingbee67 said:

2 Patsy Absolutly Fabulous, So evil, when she burned Eddies kid with her cigarette, I was rolling on the floor. Her acting career consisted of a soft core James Bond rip off.

I LOVE this show! Patsy is far and above one of the funniest characters ever to exist. I love the moments when she's angrily complaining about Saffy and ends up insulting Eddie instead. So funny. Joanna Lumley is a gem.
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    I'm with ya, @A_Ron_Hubbard.  If this is like a High Fidelity Top 5: Go!, then my list might be very different if I sat down and thought about it.  Off the top of my head, High Fidelity-style:

Will Graham
    Wesley Wyndam-Pryce
    Sydney Bristow
    Daniel Faraday
    Jesse Pinkman

I wrote that list in ten seconds.  I have a thing for tragic, tortured geniuses and abuse narratives, I guess.  What a depressing list.

ryanfosterHatorianTravisDaveyMac
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    D'Angelo Barksdale, The Wire.
    Love D'Angelo, will not spoil his arc because it's something that needs to be seen. He's a more learned version of Wallas in his character traits and how that character struggles and is affected by the things he sees. There is a level of empathy there that not many of the criminals in this show have. In my first watch I hated D, by the end of my second he became my favorite character in the entire series.

Don Draper, Mad Men.
    I sympathize for Don, I see a lot of myself in him. I'm not some super handsome, womanizing, alcoholic but he has other traits that I feel I have. I'm not a happy person in my real life but I put on this facade that I am because it's what is expected, I don't feel like I deserve to be happy and torpedo relationships with my family and others when I start to get comfortable because that comfort makes me feel uncomfortable, I do stupid things in my personal life because I don't feel feel like I'm a good man. This leads me too.

Walter White, Breaking Bad.
    I am the epitome of WW season 1. I made poor decisions in my early life that have ended me up in a life situation that I'm not particularly happy with. I'm depressed, broken, and just let everyone walk all over me and feel like my life and decisions aren't mine to make. I'm making a big change in February that scares the hell out of me, it doesn't include taking lives or making meth, but I'm finally going to remove myself from these unhappy situations and try to be my own person.

Phillip Jennings, The Americans.
    The Americans and most of its praise come from the deserving Keri Russel, but Matthew Rhyse doesn't get enough praise in my opinion. His character, his Clark persona, the things he is forced to do. Elizabeth is stone cold down for the cause, but Phillip has been on a continuous decline with his Russian allegiance, how killing people affects him, his relationships with women including Martha, and his attempts to just become a normal father to his kids since episode 1 season 1.

Martha Hanson, The Americans.
    Most people will notice how much praise I give The Americans, they may even be like man what the fuck we get it, but this show is so well written and the characters are so real that I feel that the fact that it's so low rated will get us to a point in 5 or so years after its done that people will talk about it like they do The Wire, one of the greatest shows ever made that didn't get the attention it deserved while it ran.
    Martha is, next to Phillip, one of the most tragic characters one television. I've already spoke about my personal life in two of my other characters so I won't go into the ways I feel a deep connection and see myself in Martha because it just makes me feel uncomfortable. I will say that the way her character develops from season 1-3 is sad, I feel for her character as if she's a real person. She wants just a normal life, a real relationship where she is genuinely loved by her partner. She puts on a good happy lady facade but her continued decline as she realizes the trouble she is in really hits home. I never want to see her die, I feel like she has to, I feel like I will be affected by her characters death in a way I never have by any other characters death.
    HatorianDeeTravispavlovsbellDaveyMac
  • @Reni

Legartha! Awesome choice. She's definitely one I forgot and would put towards the top.
    ElisaEmmelyneReni
  • Off the top style? 

In no particular order:

Mike Ehrmentrout
    Richard Harrow
    Peggy Olson
    Al Swearengen 
    Rust Cohle

I suppose I had the strongest emotional reactions to these characters. Maybe that's why they are the first to pop in my mind? That's something worth pondering.

HatorianTravispavlovsbellDaveyMactom_g
  • MmmBopMmmBop United Kingdom
    edited December 2015
    Ragnar Lothbrok The Vikings
    Patti The Leftovers
    Nora The Leftovers
    Rick TWD
    Sawyer Lost
    HatorianTravis
    edited December 2015
    My five (although I have many more), in no particular order:

John Locke, Lost:  From abandoned son, to emotionally broken and swindled, revengeful son, to wheelchair-bound and walkabout-determined, then to mystically healed badass hunter and in tune with the island's powers... this man was always captivating.  His level of faith became unparalleled once he found he could stand up on that beach and walk.  All-wise and all-knowing, he always felt that (although never understood why) he was the island's 'chosen one' in terms of revealing the ancient mysteries and powers of the island.  He intrinsically knew that entering the numbers would prevent a magnetic catastrophe.  He understood the centuries-old struggle between light and dark (in all its forms).  He helped Charlie overcome his heroin addiction.  Sadly, he became a victim of and was inhabited by the spirit of the Man in Black, leading to the ultimate cliffside showdown between he and Jack (which had been coming on since episode what, 2? 3?).  Good or evil, light or dark, I was *glued* to the screen to see what was next with him.  Terry O'Quinn deserved honors for his performance in that role.

Joan Holloway Harris, Mad Men:   I think most people might choose Peggy when looking at a strong female character in Mad Men, but while I do feel that the Peggy character was/is an inspiration in more than a few ways to most female fans, I actually look to Joan as my spirit animal (hence, my user icon).  Joan was fierce and independent from day one.  She was self-confident, assured of herself, had a great head for business and managed that entire office better than Sterling and Cooper combined.  She gave zero f*cks, pulled no punches, and took no b.s. from anyone, yet also knew when silence was better than speaking up (although she was also in the time of "women don't stand up for themselves".. ugh).  She was sexy and fashionable, and knew when turning both up in the right moments would benefit her.  Her focus and steadfastness when taking on McCann Erickson was admirable, as was her bravery and her leap of faith in starting her own business.  She knew what she wanted in life, and went for it.  The woman could rule the world if she wanted, and we'd all be better for it.

Chris Stevens, Northern Exposure:  Chris was the perfect combination of good, wholesome, decent, caring man and fun-loving rebel bad boy (although he was more the former than the latter).  He loved the outdoors, was a deep thinker, well-read and well-educated.  He could quote William Shakespeare in one moment and Martin Luther King the next.  His radio show, Chris in the Morning, featured some of my favorite scenes in the entire series.  I could listen to him speak for hours on end.  He always had an informative and interesting anecdote or life lesson to tell or some good old fashioned no-nonsense advice to share, and he always did it with heart and with soul.  He unapologetically wore his heart on his sleeve, even when it led to heartbreak when he fell for Maggie and she rejected him.   He was someone I would have been proud to know and call friend.  Plus, John Corbett is really, really easy to look at, so there's that.  :)

Andy Taylor, The Andy Griffith Show:  Stay with me here. This is why I love him so much - the man was a genuinely nice guy, loved his family and his community, showed real caring toward his friends and fellow townfolk, was always there anytime anyone needed anything, and was a fantastic dad throughout the whole thing.  A widower, he raised his son on his own (and then with the help of his Aunt Bea).  He always showed Opie the meaning of family, taught him life lessons with a delicate balance of tough love and fatherly guidance and concern, and made sure that he was raising his son to be the man that he himself was.  Not only that, but he could play guitar and pick a banjo with the best of them.  He was just a good man, and I wish there were more of him in these times.

Compo, Last of the Summer Wine:  Taking a cue from @kingbee67 and taking it across the pond for a moment.  I don't know if many have seen this show (although in the '90s, a lot of PBS stations included it in their lineup on their nights when they aired British comedies), but it is honestly one of the funniest, most heartwarming series that, in my opinion, the BBC has ever aired.  In fact, it's hard not to choose the entire cast (and it was a toss-up between Compo and Mr. Humphries from Are You Being Served).  Compo was an older gentleman (as were his buddies), disheveled, wore raggy, tattered clothes, was unshaven, and a bit uncouth at times.  However, he also had a heart of gold and really loved his friends - and Nora Batty.  :)   He had a thick northern Yorkshire accent, used words such as 'thee' and 'thou', had an affinity for a good walk around the hilly and picturesque Yorkshire Dales and a pint or three of a good strong ale, pursued Nora Batty with relentless abandon, and found himself in some of the most ridiculous and hilarious predicaments.  Yet he also had a heart of gold and a certain sweetness and charm, and it just made him more endearing.  He was like your cute little British grandpa that you just want to hug.  :)

HatorianTravispavlovsbellJTKIII
  • 1) Walter White (Breaking Bad)
    2) Rust Cohle (True Detective S1)
    3) Jaime Lannister (Game of Thrones)
    4) Boyd Crowder (Justified)
    5) Frank Underwood (House of Cards)
    TravisHatorianpavlovsbellUnderwood
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited December 2015

I'll take a crack at it, but with a qualifier and a disclaimer: Like @A_Ron_Hubbard said, this topic is so huge and has so many potential ways to consider it, it just gets really overwhelming; so I'm just not going to overthink it and will probably underthink it. I will only use major characters even though I might be tempted to take someone like a Wynn Duffy because limited exposure almost becomes too big of an advantage and I'll just run with it. Also as a disclaimer, I tend to be pretty fickle and so I may not give proper weight to the Rudy Huxtables and Bobby Simones and the Brother Justin Crowes of the world. It's just been too long and in not having watched in so long the clarity of the character and performance dims a bit in my mind. All that said, here we go:

1. Ron Fucking Swanson - Parks and Recreation had the best, richest characters of any sitcom (and most dramas) that I have ever seen, and Ron was at the forefront. He is my all time favorite TV character without question. He was the perfect balance of a cartoon and a character with an amazing amount of heart. He was about as quotable as any character could ever possibly be. He was performed with such amazing mastery. His relationship with Leslie should honestly be taught extensively in writing classes. The stars just aligned. Ron Fucking Swanson is fucking perfect.

2.  Raylan Givens - The ultimate bad ass, but so much more than that too. One of the things that I loved about Raylan was the way that he sometimes just didn't get how the world works even when it would be pretty plain to the audience. That sort of stubborn "huh?" that he would capture. I love the way they balanced a man that showed himself as simple, but gave him so many layers. Olyphant played him perfectly too.

3. I'm going to use a cheat similar to the one @DaveyMac took above: Sean Spencer and Burton Guster - I can't really take either Sean or Gus on their own because the characters are so dependent on each other for it to work. It's their give and take that gave me so many amazing laughs over Psych's run. All of the fun references. Sean's badgering and Gus' bizarre bravado. Probably my all time favorite on screen pairing.

4. Nora Durst - Really, I give this to Carrie Coon putting on an insane acting clinic every time we see her on the Leftovers. I mean, the raw power of that performance is like a magnet and that character really brings you into that world with all of its complexities in a way that really blows me away. I honestly think it's one of the greatest performances/portrayals in any TV show, ever. It's just crazy that we get a match of that character and that actress.

5. Walter Bishop - If I was actually putting this is proper order Walter would probably land at number two. It starts to feel redundant, but he is such an amazingly rich character who was played perfectly. He could be hilarious, he was incredibly fragile, he was brilliant, he was conflicted. He was so many things and all packaged up as a loving Grandpa tripping balls on LSD. He would fuse the consciences of a dead person with a live one and simultaneously be obsessing over the proper ingredients for the perfect milkshake. He had so much love and regret and genius and it all came off as believable. Remarkable.

Other people I considered, off the top of my head: Both of the Jennings' from the Americans, Leslie, Chris and Andy from Parks and Rec, Burt and Virginia from Raising Hope, Helena from Orphan Black, Boyd Crowder, Linda and Veronica from Better Off Ted, About half of the cast of 30 Rock, Chandler and Phoebe from Friends, Bobby Cobb from Cougar Town, and tons, tons more.   

DummyHatorianpavlovsbell
    Travis said:

Chandler and Phoebe from Friends

It was honestly so hard for me to not list any of the characters on this show.  How do you pick just one?  They're all so perfect and so flawed in their own unique ways.  It's still my all-time favorite show, and I just love each one of them.  :)
    Travis
  • Louballs77Louballs77 Coral Springs, FL
    I could honestly fill out my top 5 with all characters from The Wire or Game of Thrones, but I'll pick a max of one per show.

My top 5 favorites:

Jimmy McNulty - The Wire
    Tyrion Lannister - Game of Thrones
    Dwight Schrute - The Office
    Taco MacArthur - The League
    TravisHatorian
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Travis I almost went with Bobby Cobb in my list. Bury and Virginia are great too. :-)
    Travis
  • @Michelle I think that is actually why I didn't pick anyone from Friends. They were all so good as a unit that it kind of takes away from their chances in conversations like these. It's kind of the Sean Spencer and Burton Guster thing on a larger scale. They all bounce off of each other so perfectly that it's hard to pin down an individual one. It's kind of a problem of one ending and the others beginning. Best ensembles would make for an interesting thread. I should have put Joey in with Chandler and Phoebe too. I'm honestly not sure I've ever laughed as hard in a moment as when Joey throws Ross into his fridge and instantly blames him for breaking it. Goddamn I love that show.
    Michelle
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited December 2015
    Dee said:

@Travis I almost went with Bobby Cobb in my list. Bury and Virginia are great too. :-)

Yeah, those are great characters. I'm glad someone else gave Bobby some consideration. He never failed to crack me up. I've been really happy to see those shows popping up in syndication lately. Both of them were crazy underrated.
    Dee
    Travis said:

@Michelle I think that is actually why I didn't pick anyone from Friends. They were all so good as a unit that it kind of takes away from their chances in conversations like these. It's kind of the Sean Spencer and Burton Guster thing on a larger scale. They all bounce off of each other so perfectly that it's hard to pin down an individual one. It's kind of a problem of one ending and the others beginning. Best ensembles would make for an interesting thread. I should have put Joey in with Chandler and Phoebe too. I'm honestly not sure I've ever laughed as hard in a moment as when Joey throws Ross into his fridge and instantly blames him for breaking it. Goddamn I love that show.

What about when Ross is pissed at Joey for inadvertently proposing to Rachel, then Joey challenges him in Central Perk to punch him, then ducks and Ross ends up punching the pole?  These guys are hilarious together.  Best Ensembles would make a great thread, but Best Duos would as well.   Then Joey and Chandler (foosball or bachelor party hooker!  lol), Chandler and Ross (the class reunion episode was classic), or Joey and Ross would fall right in.   :)  
    Travis
  • Michelle said:

Travis said:

@Michelle I think that is actually why I didn't pick anyone from Friends. They were all so good as a unit that it kind of takes away from their chances in conversations like these. It's kind of the Sean Spencer and Burton Guster thing on a larger scale. They all bounce off of each other so perfectly that it's hard to pin down an individual one. It's kind of a problem of one ending and the others beginning. Best ensembles would make for an interesting thread. I should have put Joey in with Chandler and Phoebe too. I'm honestly not sure I've ever laughed as hard in a moment as when Joey throws Ross into his fridge and instantly blames him for breaking it. Goddamn I love that show.

What about when Ross is pissed at Joey for inadvertently proposing to Rachel, then Joey challenges him in Central Perk to punch him, then ducks and Ross ends up punching the pole?  These guys are hilarious together.  Best Ensembles would make a great thread, but Best Duos would as well.   Then Joey and Chandler (foosball or bachelor party hooker!  lol), Chandler and Ross (the class reunion episode was classic), or Joey and Ross would fall right in.   :)  

My wife and I just watched that one a couple of nights ago (the post non-proposal "hit me!" one). That was a GREAT scene! Best duos (preferably non-romantic) may need to happen. I think I wouldn't start it personally before meditating on it a bit more to figure out some answers, but that could be a fantastic thread and I definitely support its creation. If I had to pick from Friends, I think I would have to go Joey and Chandler, but don't sleep on Joey and Phoebe too. They were amazing together.

Best duos? American Duos!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpqKA0_y2jI

Michelle
  • broompersonbroomperson the Iron Islands
    1. Jesse Pinkman. Tragic, hilarious, tons of depth. I really identify with him. Walter White was an asshole

2. Don Draper. Love this man. An anti hero you can root for through and through. Tragic backstory, came from nothing and made himself into an incredible man. Hopefully he found peace

3. Jimmy Darmody. Think I'm finding a trend here. Tragic characters are my favorite. To the Lost.

4. Tony Soprano. Without Tony there is no Don. Probably the most prolific main character in any series. Love the analysis of him as a man. RIP Gandolfini

5. Omar Little. The baddest of the bad asses. He had a code and he lived by it. Omar owned the streets, he didn't give a fuck about Barksdale or Marlo or Avon.

Runner ups: Christopher Moltisanti (CHRISTUPHUHH!), Nora Durst, Matt Jamison, Pete Campbell, Roger Sterling, Rust Cohle
    TravisDummysteph_bHatorianpavlovsbellTaraC73
    edited December 2015
    Travis said:

My wife and I just watched that one a couple of nights ago (the post non-proposal "hit me!" one). That was a GREAT scene! Best duos (preferably non-romantic) may need to happen. I think I wouldn't start it personally before meditating on it a bit more to figure out some answers, but that could be a fantastic thread and I definitely support its creation. If I had to pick from Friends, I think I would have to go Joey and Chandler, but don't sleep on Joey and Phoebe too. They were amazing together.

Best duos? American Duos!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpqKA0_y2jI

Gotta say, as an '80s girl, that is the first time I've seen Tears for Fears and MJ on the same stage.   It was.... interesting.  lol

I'm loving the Best Non-Romantic Duos idea.  Joey and Phoebe, Joey and Chandler are so in there.  Will and Grace, Jack and Karen, Don and Peggy, Charlie and Hurley... the list goes on.  This so needs to happen.

And since we're on the subject:

"Occupation?  Dinosaurs..." lol

TravisTaraC73
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Sidelle said:

1) Walter White (Breaking Bad)
    2) Rust Cohle (True Detective S1)
    3) Jaime Lannister (Game of Thrones)
    4) Boyd Crowder (Justified)
    5) Frank Underwood (House of Cards)

And why?!

I could honestly fill out my top 5 with all characters from The Wire or Game of Thrones, but I'll pick a max of one per show.

My top 5 favorites:

Jimmy McNulty - The Wire
    Tyrion Lannister - Game of Thrones
    Dwight Schrute - The Office
    Taco MacArthur - The League

And why!!??!?
    Hatorian
  • Archie Bunker (All in the Family): Granted, the character's views and behavior are often repugnant, but there was enormous humanity beneath it, and Carrol O'Connor's masterful performance deftly veered between comic, hateful, and emotional, sometimes within a single moment.  The show took the concept of the basic grumpy patriarch and used it to tell insightful stories, both personal and political.  Without Archie there is no Homer, no Cartman, nor virtually any other main character whose failings are an instrument to prop up meaningful satire.

Gene Hunt (Life on Mars - the BBC version): Yet another gruff on the outside but soft on the inside character.  Yet again, Gene's more offensive lines are frequently used to highlight the less open-minded worlds of 1973 and 1981, but his love for his squad is undeniable, and there may be no better quote generator in the history of the medium.  If you haven't watched Life on Mars or its equally excellent spin off, Ashes to Ashes, you owe it to yourself to check them out.

Jean Luc Picard (Star Trek: TNG): Picard is the ultimate paragon, the white knight who handles impossible situations with courage, grace, diplomacy, skill, and elegance.  But just because he is arguably the representation of everything right with humanity doesn't mean he lacks for very human struggles.  He frets over the well-being of his crew, recognizes when he is overly stern, and occasionally, when his weaknesses get the better of him.  He admitted that but for a timely rescue, he would have succumbed to Romulan torture techniques.  He struggled with post-traumatic Borg disorder.  And unlike Kirk, his escapes are not the product of dumb luck and cojones, but of actual foresight and ingenuity.  Engage!

Rupert Giles (Buffy the Vampire Slayer): Giles is initially played as a stick-in-the-mud counterweight to the effervescent Buffy, but as the series' threats, both human and supernatural, begin to take their toll on the beleaguered slayer, Giles begins to show his true colors as a staunch ally, surrogate father, and an accomplished magic user in his own right.  Throw in his wry British sense of humor and you have everything you need.

Roz Doyle (Frasier): Roz, along with Martin Crane, act as the surrogate for most of the audience in that they are a foil for the Crane brothers' oft inscrutable high society tastes and references.  Simply put, she brings him down to earth.  But when the show takes the time to work on her character and evolve her, what emerges is a more nuanced-than-expected portrayal of a career minded woman struggling to balance her job, sex, romance, and ultimately her family.  What begins as a character often joked about for being easy becomes a caring, grounded empowered single mother.  She is feisty, intelligent, and vulnerable.  And virtually any of her one-liners out-zing a cast of admittedly clever zinger slingers.

Honorable mention: Walter White, because of course.  Tyrion Lannister - I would have included him but really the credit goes to Goerge Martin for creating the book character, so I felt he wasn't truly a pure TV character for this list.  Walter Bishop (Fringe) for being arguably the best mad scientist in TV history, and the Joker (Batman: The Animated Series) because it's goddamn perfect.
    HatorianpavlovsbellTravisCory
This discussion has been closed.