Official Direct Thread - Quentin Tarantino - Epilogue (General Discussion)

Welp, our journey through Tarantino's films has come to a close. We laughed, we cried, we reviled in horror as Eric and Levi attempted hideous accents. Consider this your wrap-up thread for Tarantino. How would you rank Tarantino's films? What are your favorite Tarantino-isms? Are you a Big Kahuna person or a Red Apple person? Discuss! 

Comments

• FlashGordonFlashGordon Leeds, UK
    edited January 2016
    Loved your guys coverage of Tarantino, so many ism's that I didn't even realise existed before, in particular, the " say goodbye to your balls". my top 8,  basically says that I least like his Grind House flicks, have a big love of his historical fiction work but Pulp Fiction is just as good as it gets.

1)Pulp Fiction
    2)Inglorious Basterds
    3)Django 
    4)Hateful Eight
    5) Reservoir Dogs
    6)Jackie Brown
    7)Kill Bill
    8)Death Proof

Feel the need to justify Kill Bill being so low, think they're great films, but of all the filmography they're probably one the last I just throw on to watch anytime, like the others.

I'd mainly be curious to see if anyone puts Death Proof anything but bottom.
    Wahl-e
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    Pulp fiction
    Reservoir Dogs
    Kill Bill
    Jackie Brown
    Death Proof
    Inglorious Basterds
    Django
    *hateful 8

I haven't seen hateful 8 yet. I couldn't stand IB and Django. Pulp Fiction is perfection. RD, KB and JB are interchangebly placed on the list... I equally like them all (though, if we are individually ranking KB, I prefer I over II)... Death Proof is a fun flick. Not his best by any means, but heaps better than IB and Django.
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I am going to be in the vast minority here, but Pulp Fiction has always been one of my least favorite of Tarantino's. I have no clue why except it just doesn't click and the story isn't as straight-forward as in his other works (which is intentional, I am sure).

So from favorite to least favorite (and keeping out Hateful Eight for now--I will add it in once I see it)

1. Jackie Brown
    2. Inglorious Basterds
    3. Kill Bill Vol. 2
    4. Kill Bill Vol. 1
    5. Reservoir Dogs
    6. Pulp Fiction
    7. Django Unchained
    8. Death Proof

This is probably an ever-shifting list though, because I notice something new with his movies on every viewing.
  • Wahl-eWahl-e Seattle
    edited January 2016
    For reference, here is Levi's list:

1. Kill Bill (counted as one film)
    2. Pulp Fiction
    3. Inglorious Basterds
    4. Reservoir Dogs
    5. Jackie Brown
    6. The Hateful Eight
    7. Django Unchained
    8. Death Proof

And here is my (Eric's) list:

1. Inglorious Basterds
    2. Pulp Fiction
    3. Django Unchained
    4. Reservoir Dogs
    5. The Hateful Eight
    6. Kill Bill vol. 2
    7. Jackie Brown 
    8. Kill Bill vol. 1
    9. Death Proof
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    I haven't seen The Hateful Eight yet, and I'm counting Kill Bill as two separate films because they feel so different to me in terms of tone, pace, and depth of character study.  These are ranked only according to rewatchability for me, although I love Asian cinema so Kill Bill occupies special place in my heart:

1.  Kill Bill, Vol.1  (I never tire of watching this, and it has an infectious giddiness that always puts me in a better mood.)
    2.  Pulp Fiction
    3.  Kill Bill, Vol. 2
    4.  Inglorious Basterds
    5.  Jackie Brown
    6.  Reservoir Dogs 
    7.  Django Unchained
    8.  Death Proof
  • 1. Inglorious Basterds
    2. Django Unchained
    3. Pulp Fiction
    4. Kill Bill
    5. Reservoir Dogs
    6. The Hateful Eight
    7. Jackie Brown
    8. Death Proof

2-5 on my list are all basically a tie. And I do like Jackie Brown and Death Proof, just not as much.
  • I haven't seen Inglorious Basterds or Hateful 8 yet (gotta get on those), but those aside...

1. Kill Bill 1
    2. Kill Bill 2
    3. Django Unchained
    4. Pulp Fiction
    5. Jackie Brown
    6. Reservoir Dogs

7. Death Proof

I really, really did not like Death Proof. Just bored the hell out of me. I have to admit though that I only saw it once and that was right after it hit dvd so who knows what I would think now.

• Pretty awesome video about Tarantino's use of violence. NSFW and not for the squeamish. 

• I can't see the video for some reason. Just blank white space. Really interested in checking it out though.
  • DaveyMac said:

I can't see the video for some reason. Just blank white space. Really interested in checking it out though.

• Thanks for posting it again.
  • edited October 2016
    1. Kill Bill
    2. Inglorious Basterds
    3. Pulp Fiction
    4. Jackie Brown
    5. Django
    6. Hateful Eight
    7. Reservoir Dogs

They were really hard to rank, though, cause I would gladly rewatch any of these films.

And I haven't seen Death Proof.
    DaveyMac