511 - "Battle Royale"

Director: Michael Uppendahl
Writer: Ned Martel

Comments

• Masterful use of The Stone Roses' "I Wanna Be Adored" during Elizabeth's death scene.
    Blanch
  • Argh. For a second I thought you were doing a cast on the film of the same name.
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Just starting this. That slow-mo walk with Liz and Iris was everything!
  • edited January 2016
    I continue to be surprised by this season. Didn't know what to expect after the break but this was really good on the AHS scale.
    I honestly think this was one of the best episodes of the season. Loved it.
  • HeffHeff Connecticut
    Really liked the episode, there were a few key points of note for me;
    • I was happy to see more of the Liz-Iris tag team, both with their side of the akimbo ambush and their attempted takeover of the Cortez later on. We got a few more drawn out responses from Liz, which are always great; "Need to make sure she stayssss dooowwwwwwwnnnnnnnnn."
    • What the fuck was up with Iris making Donovan sand castles? I didn't entirely understand what was happening there.
    • Mrs. Evers has really become one of my favorite characters, I like how she has progressed from a lunatic to a grieving mother, jilted lover, and overall sympathetic character. I especially enjoy her new experiences with modern cleaning/laundry appliances, it's like a kid opening presents on Christmas morning!
    • March is still AWESOME. His lines in this episode were solid (You may be a witch.... but I'm a GHOST.", another of my favorite characters. I'm still looking forward to seeing where the possession stuff goes for the finale. I thought it was significant that he saved John from Sally's attack, as he stated he still has plans for John, and John had also just stated that he felt complete, which leads me to believe he wouldn't have become a ghost anyway.
    • Alex and John continued their shitty parental choices, but I think they were really just a vehicle to get John where he needed to be as the TCK.

Also, Glampire ghosts can happen, it seems. Are we to believe Nudiecrush and Tristan were completely satisfied and had no unfinished business, so they didn't become phantoms? Obviously Elizabeth's was the malformed creepy infant that we haven't seen in a couple months, but will it's existence mean anything next week?

Michelle
  • NathanNathan Winterfell, The North, Westeros
    I was prepared to say "Fuck this" after seeing Elizabeth still alive, even though I saw it coming, but the episode managed to pull it back.

AHS Rock-Paper-Scissors: Ghost>Witch>Vampire>Ghost

Also, anyone who thinks Queenie is dead FOR REALZ should remember that season 3 had pretty much every main character dead at some point, and everyone seemed to come back. ESPECIALLY QUEENIE WHO SHOT HERSELF IN THE HEAD!!!

What was more annoying was that Queenie had two scenes with Iris, who looks "suspiciously like" the racist old lady she used to hang out with, and Ramona, who looks "suspiciously like" her ex-voodoo group leader. Yet Murphy didn't have any "I think I've seen you somewhere before" or "You remind me of someone" moments. Missed Opportunity imho.

It took until the penultimate episode to understand why Sally sews people into mattresses...oh wait, still NO CLUE! If anything, it would have been more gruesome if she was sewing people together throughout the season, rather than return to her backstory right before we're about to stop caring about AHS for another year. It's as if Murphy forgot that she had that character trait from the first episode, and is only now trying to haphazardly sew it back into the main plot. Could have been better.

Liz kills it once again. Poor Miss Evers. At least she's free of The Late Gatsby, starring Evan Peters.

Michelle
    God, that stitch-popping scene made me hide my eyes.  I couldn't take that.  The bullet removal was bad enough, but omg.  This was worse.  

I do like that we are getting answers right now.  The one thing I wish we still knew, unless I missed it somehow, is *why* is there an addiction demon in the first place?  And who was he created from?

March still has plans for John...  @Heff, maybe your prediction will come true on this.

Iris and smearing the ashes over the bedspread...  This made me wonder, Donovan didn't die in the hotel but his ashes became part of it via the bedspread.  Will he then be trapped in the hotel in some form?  Or, was this a throwback to Iris finding him OD'ing on the bed in 1994, and so she was getting closure on his death?   The fact that she was covered in ashes when she was done made me wonder wtf she did in that room afterward.   Did she throw his ashes all over the room?  Did she roll around in them on the bed (which would be super weird, but a drop in the bucket compared to the goings-on in this damn place)?    I did like that she released some to the air up on the roof.  I was afraid at first, though, that she was going to jump.

Liz... oh Liz, with your flowing diaphanous gowns and your prolonged pronunciations.   My favorite character of this entire series, of all the seasons.  My hope for the end of this thing is that Liz, Iris, and Miss Evers take over the hotel or (as someone mentioned on a rival podcast), Liz burns the place to the ground.  I can just see her standing there in her fabulous costume and jewelry, in all her fabulousness, saying something like "Burn, bitchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" as she strikes the match and drops it, igniting the flame - then striding into the distance, flowing robe or gown just flowing away in the breeze.  Oh god, I would *love* that scene.  ARon talks about "omg, I blacked out in this scene"...  that would be my blackout moment.

Elizabeth's death scene... I've been waiting for that since episode 1 and it didn't disappoint.  I did like Gaga's acting in this episode, specifically when she was lying on the table and Sally was removing the bullets and getting the blood for her.  I thought she was really believable in her performance. 

Queenie!  *Loved* seeing this character back on the show, and I loved Liz fangirling all over her.  I like that they did keep the character name and backstory rather than having the actress portray an entirely different character.  I was fully into that battle between Queenie and Ramona. 

Next week is the finale, isn't it? 
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Anyone know who the grunnnnggggeeee rock couple were supposed to be?  I would assume they were fictional, except, you know, this show.
  • HeffHeff Connecticut
    Another fun cast, it's great to hear you and Cecily play off of each other.

For the record, I don't recall predicting that JPM would kill John, maybe that was another listener? I had guessed that after John was possessed by JPM, he would exit the hotel excited to begin his life of freedom, but would be killed by Valentino. Obviously this was wrong, considering Valentino has already been terminated.

Lily Rabe unfortunately didn't survive Coven - she failed the "to hell and back" trial and was forever trapped in a science classroom having to dissect animals.

My predictions definitely aren't perfect, but I enjoy making them! Especially with this season, because this has been the most well-put-together season, as far as I'm concerned. Here's hoping next year's show is as compelling, maybe I'll be able to contribute some more theories!
    amyja89
    edited January 2016

Anyone know who the grunnnnggggeeee rock couple were supposed to be?  I would assume they were fictional, except, you know, this show.

I searched around the net and thought about musicians from that time... the closest I could come was maybe Layne Staley (lead singer of Alice in Chains) and his girlfriend, but I really just think the couple were fictional.

One last thought:  Mare Winningham was brilliant in this episode. 

Playlist is updated.  :)   Great music this season!
    Quick thought, is it possible that Elizabeth made these glampire children all of the same image because she thinks that is what Bartholomew would have looked like had he not been born with the deformities, etc?   So in a way, she can pretend that she is raising her own child.
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    I'm late to the party...

Did anyone think Iris was going to lick or eat the ashes? Certainly I can't be the only one with a screwed up brain that went there?

Liz&Iris in the hallway going for Ramona was hilarious; the dead vampire kids was kinda sad :/

I was hoping Scarlet would end up being awesome. Only one episode to make that happen, Murph.

I am thinking Jon and family are going to end up moving into JPM's suite, taking over the hotel.

Disappointed in Sally's story, it raised new questions instead of answering old ones and I don't think we're going to get closure on her.

We'll see how it all plays out tomorrow!! I am excited!!

*off to listen to this cast*