The Revenant

I'm really surprised there's not a thread on this yet. Search is broken for me as usual but I ctrl + Fed through a few pages of the movies forum.

Anyway, wow. What a spectacle this movie is. I would watch it again in the theater even just for the visuals/landscapes, it's quite remarkable.

The acting was very good all-around, though I thought Fitzgerald, Tom Hardy's character, was written a bit too one dimensionally. That's really the only criticism I can think for it at the moment. It's certainly not for everyone, it's basically a relentless 2.5 hours of intense frontier survival. 

It didn't occur to me as I was watching but now that I think about it, it reminds me of Blackhawk Down a bit. A group is out in a dangerous area, shit breaks bad, and the next two hours is the intense, often hectic aftermath. 

Even if you aren't interested in the frontier revenge plot, if the visuals/cinematography of movies interests you I can't recommend this enough, it is all at once foreboding, harsh, and beautiful. 

Comments

• ArctorArctor The Netherlands
    Use Google like this.

As a fan of the Dollop podcast and my favorite episode being about Hugh Glass I was rather disappointed by the changes they made to the story. I kinda understand why from a narrative perspective since they jump in at a late point in his life but I'd still rather have seen it closer to true. It's just weird. Imagine if a biopic about George W. Bush featured his illegitimate son being kidnapped by Saddam Hussein as a precursor for the war in Iraq. And then George beheads Saddam on the lawn of the White House. People would think it's weird to have such a departure from reality and that's how I felt watching it.

That being said it's still the best film I've seen in probably 4 years. I watched H8 right after and it was like watching a kid's movie in comparison...
  • First of all, no, I'm not using fucking google to search the forums, I just don't care that much. Also, thanks for the snide lmgtfy link mr. 2008. 

Second, I would never resurrect a 6+ month old thread made so long before the movie's actual release, I was referring to one being created for discussion of the movie which someone usually makes within a week or so before release. 
    Frakkin T
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited January 2016
    As the original poster of the Revenant link that Arctor showed I find offense that you wouldn't use my thread....haha kidding. ;) I wouldn't go through that much effort either.

I watched a screener and it sort of took away from the movie. Need to watch it properly when it comes out on blueray.
  • @Hatorian Yeah I always avoid screeners, they're okay for the occasional comedy or something but I think this would be one of the worst movies to see in that form. To me the wilderness is a character in this movie, and the most interesting one at that. The actual character plot is okay but really just a borderline run-of-the-mill revenge plot, what makes it special is the brutal environment they're struggling in, I can only imagine how shitty that'd look on a screener.
  • ArctorArctor The Netherlands
    @ghm3 No need to get your panties in a bunch. I'm just using it as a visual way to show a method for searching the forums in lieu of a working embedded search bar.

But by all means, keep defiantly ctrl-F'ing through the threads if that's somehow easier for ya ;)
    Zinzan
  • HeffHeff Connecticut
    I was pretty disappointed by the movie. I was really intrigued by the setting and the initial story, but I think the fact that the injuries he sustained kept him from walking or talking much really hampered the movie for me. I understand that it's amazing he even lived through the injuries, and the ingenuity he showed to stay alive was inspiring, but I found it harder to take seriously. I also didn't understand a few things, which I felt could have been shown or described better - when the Pawnee indian built a shelter for Glass, why had the Frenchmen failed to check the shelter after having hung the Pawnee? The movie appeared to show the shelter within sight of the tree where he had been hung.

The acting displays from Leo, Tom Hardy, the young trapper and the Captain were all superb, and I liked that the violence was brutal but realistic - the bear scene was almost painful to watch, as the visuals and Leo's screaming really drove home the severity of the wounds the bear was dishing out. The scenery throughout the movie was beautiful, but I felt like the movie progressed too slowly (too long between action sequences, too much crawling and grunting, etc) and it wasn't as good as I thought it would be.
    Elisa
  • ghm3 said:

Search is broken for me as usual but I ctrl + Fed through a few pages of the movies forum.

i always just figured search was only fucking up for me and have tried to deal with it. i agree that im not going to use the google hack, its too much work in my point and click world. is there a problem using the sites search tool for everyone?
  • JohnsnowJohnsnow Adelaide, South Australia
    I would recommend seeing this film. While the plot is simple (very simple) the acting from Leonardo was awesome!
  • elgat0elgat0 Clearwater
    ghm3 said:

Even if you aren't interested in the frontier revenge plot, if the visuals/cinematography of movies interests you I can't recommend this enough, it is all at once foreboding, harsh, and beautiful. 
    If you're interested in this movie, go see it in a theater.  As mentioned above, the cinematography is breath taking.