512 - "Be Our Guest"

Director: Bradley Buecker
Writer: John J. Gray

Comments

• HeffHeff Connecticut
    edited January 2016
    JPM is still getting some of the best lines. 

"I'm not familiar with your military friend and his fondness for poultry"
    This needs to be on a freaking shirt with an image of JPM, ARon. Make that shit happen so I can buy it!

I like how things are wrapping up, except there's absolutely NO explanation or wrapup of JPM's "plan" for John......? Fucking weird to go through the whole season with that and then ignore it in the finale.

I think it was really cool how they bookended the Devil's Night thing with John, having him die off the grounds and only able to come around once a year. Guess now he's "ready to join" the party. Looking forward to listening to you and @Cecily go on about how you hated to see the serial killers again though!
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    "We like to make it laaaaast!" Stop it, Murphey. You already won. No need to run the score up on me like that.
  • manhattnikmanhattnik the big apple
    The Ballad of Lucy Jordan. Perfect, perfect, perfect.
  • Pretty good ending. Wrapped up everything I was wondering about. Is Ryan Murphy turning over a new leaf or are there new writers this season? They seemed in control the whole time.

Only thing I can't reconcile is that people came to know John was with his wife and two kids, even though Holden was kidnapped years before. Wouldn't that be one of the strangest parts of the Lowe mystery and something for the psychic to ask about?
    manhattnik
    Did they ever explain what happened to the Countess’ deformed baby? Or are we to assume it got taken out in the hail of bullets that did in Gaga?
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Yeah, the weirdo corpse baby is kind of "unresolved", but what do we need to know about it that we don't know?  It was probably the safest dead end to leave dead.
    If corpse baby died in the hotel....

This season had far fewer of these “unresolved” things than most of the others. 
    What was the very last line that Gaga said to fresh meat, after she said, “no, you’re not”? I kept replaying in and replaying it and couldn’t make it out. 
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited January 2016
    How much do I love that Sally's handle on the social media sites was 'Sally That Gurl'?!

@Heff I got the impression during JPM's speech at the meeting that his plan for John was to have him do the final Ten Commandments murder, than hand over the reins and retire, so to speak. He is happy in his new murder-free existence.

I do question the qualification for becoming a ghost at the hotel, though.  Donovan died outside of the hotel, and was safe from being trapped there forever.  Sally was pushed out of the window and died in the alley (or street) and ended up becoming a ghost.  What is the difference between the two?  Why Sally and not Donovan?

Speaking of Sally again, I was horrified by that first-person perspective of the Addiction Demon literally getting ready to screw her with the rotating, screwing, drillbit dildo.  I can't imagine the terror of being in her position in that moment. 

Liz's cancer diagnosis nearly killed me.  I loved so much that she came into her own as a grandmother, something she always wanted, and then received a death sentence right behind it.  I hated seeing her throat being slit, but I did love her rebirth and the reunion with Tristan. 

I did feel like we could have done without another Devil's Night dinner gathering.  That whole arc with Billie Dean being threatened by the killers seemed so unnecessary.  And why did they put so much time into her presence at the hotel anyway?  I'd much rather that they had used that time to give closure to Bartholomew or to give us more Elizabeth scenes before the end of the show.  FFS, it was the finale and we barely saw what was arguably the lead character this season; once to slit Liz's throat and to have her 'rebirth' bookend moment with her, then in the final scene.  Even if they had given me some closure on Ramona, I would have been happier.  Don't get me wrong though, I do love the character crossovers from previous seasons.

I need more Liz Taylor in my life now.  Spinoff please!  Iris and Liz's hotel adventures.  I don't know what it would be titled, but this. needs. to. happen. 

TaraC73
  • twosistwosis El Paso, TX
    Well, I'm officially in love with Dennis O'Hare.  Liz Taylor is one of the most memorable creations in the history of television and deserves as many accolades and awards as it is possible to receive.  And who knew that a season that started with such a grim, ugly, violent, and disturbing first episode would end with a happy ending for pretty much everyone? Not a perfect season but, for me and despite a few lose ends (Bartholomew? the vampire children?), a satisfying final episode.  Eager to hear what Aron and Cecily have to say . . . hope it won't make me sad.
    MichellemanhattnikTaraC73
  • edited January 2016
    One hanging chad did come to mind: Liz's son might not find out that she died and might feel abandoned again. But I suppose he could call the hotel and find out from Iris, who could say she died suddenly and the body was cremated.
    @Michelle, I just thought that Sally's body fell within the property lines while Donovan's was officially off the property.
    TaraC73
  • I've only watched once, but didn't Jon say something about at least needing to get under the sign? The street is the boundary, maybe.
    TaraC73
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited January 2016
    The playlist is updated, for one last time. 

@NikkiP that's kind of what I've resigned myself to.  It's the only thing that makes sense.
  • Color me impressed that most of the threads here were wrapped into a neat bow. I particularly liked Will Drake and Sally finding a place in the modern world. Especially since that world had mostly passed Sally by.

John not dying on the property made sense when you parallel that with the original Devil's Night dinner. None of the other guests apart from JPM were permanent hotel residents. But I did feel a bit sad for Sally.

I really felt that Liz Taylor would not return as a ghost because she had no unfinished business. She reconciled with her son and accepted that Tristan didn't want her. I like the idea of Liz running the hotel for eternity, but I think her passing on to that happier plane that Donovan described would be more poignant.

Cheers to a much better season than Freak Show! It's been a hot mess, but also a fun mess.
    manhattnik
  • edited January 2016
    @manhattnik, it might be humorous to learn what corpse baby's unfinished business is if he died in the hotel and became a ghost. Mad that he was left in a dark room all the time? Not sure who his daddy is? I feel like he's already dead though. He was aborted in a ghost house, lives in a ghost hotel and doesn't age.

Lady Gaga's last line was, "You have a jawline for days." She said the same thing to Tristan or Donovan the first time they met.
    Thanks, @NikkiP.