Godfather Saga (renamed to the Godfather Epic) is airing on HBO!!

TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
http://uproxx.com/movies/the-godfather-hbo-seven-hour-edit/

You guys. If you are a godfather fan, and have a cable or satellite provider who carries HBO, sign up asap!!! I'm going to tomorrow and set my DVR. This is, by far, the best way to watch the story of the Corleone family!
amyja89

Comments

• TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    And for those who don't know this is not available ANYWHERE to rent, buy, pirate or see. Google "godfather saga fued" and read about it.
  • Sweet!  It's also available on HBO NOW (and HBO GO, I assume).  Sounds like a good way to spend Sunday.
    TaraC73
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    edited January 2016
    I'm about halfway through it. Kind of glad this showed up, since the downloaded copies of 1 and 2 I just watched recently were both missing the Italian subtitles. Part 1 you can get by, but apparently I missed some things in part 2.

Generally I have mixed feelings about adding deleted scenes to an "official" viewing, but you get a much better sense of Michael and Vito's relationship from just a few extra minutes. In general, Michael's distance from the family is much clearer and it gives the family dinner flashback from Part 2 a little more context. You also get some more of that movie producer's story (even more heavily implied that he's a scumbag), and the Hyman Roth origin in the Young Vito storyline. 

The Clemenza character suffers a bit in this cut. In part 2, you learn that he introduced Vito into the criminal world, but in Part 1 he seems like a lieutenant when you'd expect that he'd be more of a right hand man or second in command, given their history. Viewed chronologically, that seems even more off. 

TaraC73
    I've got my DVR set to catch it this weekend, chrisk... I haven't seen this cut in probably 25 years. I remember renting it (on videotape) and watching it a handful of times in a weekend and loving it. Can't wait to see if my love for it stands. :)
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    edited January 2016
    On further review, I guess Clemenza is first in line after the family. He gets the house after they move to Nevada. Still up to that point I guess I never had the feeling he was THAT important. Vito also seems a lot older than him in Part 1, in contrast to the early Vito scenes from 2 where they are about the same age.
    edited January 2016
    chrisk said:

On further review, I guess Clemenza is first in line after the family. He gets the house after they move to Nevada. Still up to that point I guess I never had the feeling he was THAT important. Vito also seems a lot older than him in Part 1, in contrast to the early Vito scenes from 2 where they are about the same age.

After Vito kills Fanucci, I think Clemenza got bumped down the ladder and Vito rose to the top. Tessio too. I agree though, at the start Clemenza definitely seems more "in charge" than Vito, and Vito seems to answer to him...

And Clemenza may have 100 pounds on Vito in the later years, but he definitely aged better than him. Cannolis must keep you young ;)

Ok so I'm still watching (I can only watch some here and there LOL)... And what's up with the timeline when godfather gets shot? He gets shot, mikey and Kay are walking in NYC and they see "don Corleone feared murdered" on a newspaper headline and he calls sonny, who had just found out via a phone sall... Tom is Christmas shopping and Salazzo picks him up and says your boss was murdered an hour before we picked you up. Sonny goes to the main house and tells his mother that her husband was shot. HOW does she not know this? How is it on the newspaper before sonny even gets a call? Why doesn't Fredo make a call? I'm lost.