Make a Musical Noise Here

I wanted to start a music thread and wasn't sure what to call it. The Music Thread? The Big Bad Music Thread? What Music are You Listening To? I finally decided to go with a play on a Frank Zappa album title. Works for me.

Anyway, some of the new albums I've been enjoying recently include the new Leonard Cohen and Lucinda Williams albums.

I've also been really enjoying Lou Reed's Metal Machine Trio's The Creation of the Universe, which he put out a few years ago. No rock n' roll here. Just a lot of crazy relaxing sounds.

I also just got my copy of the new David Bowie single in the mail, "Sue (Or in the Season of Crime)". I really hope his next album sounds like this.

Anyone else?
All the nightmares came today, and it looks as though they're here to stay...

Comments

• broompersonbroomperson the Iron Islands
    Any Death Grips fans out there? Inanimate Sensation is bananas.
    I'm an International Assassin.
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Boston MA
    edited December 2014
    Well my musical tastes vary over time; the big ones for me are Tom Waits, Phish, Tori Amos, Mary Lorson, The Beatles and Nirvana. I enjoy from time to time 60s French mod-pop, Stevie Wonder, Sam Cooke, and older Leonard Cohen. (His new stuff sounds to me like he's already half-dead.) My dad, throughout my entire childhood, used to play his records at the local bowling alley every Saturday night. It was all the stuff that was hot when he was a kid: Elvis, Motown, pretty much everything from the mid-50s to the 70s. I went with him every week and soaked in all that music. It's still the greatest gift my dad ever gave me. But you know what I've been listening to lately? I am almost ashamed to admit it but I'm enjoying it so much I can't help but say so: Taylor Swift's new one, "1989." I literally cannot remember the last time I listened to an album that was on the current pop charts, but I have a feeling it was sometime in the mid 90s. All the same, though this record is good.
    TaraC73

I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, “If this isn’t nice, I don’t know what is."

• @AntManBee‌ do you have a favorite Zappa album, I haven't listened to all his stuff but I'd go for Hot Rats or One Size Fits All.

I'm out of touch with current music, but recently got introduced to Royal Blood, they make a nice racket for two guys.
  • @Tee_Turnip‌ I'm not sure if I have an outright favorite, but if I were to make a top 5 it would be pretty varied. I'd have to put Hot Rats in there, followed by Uncle Meat, The Grand Wazoo, The Best Band You Never Heard in Your Life and Civilization Phaze III. I've also been listening to Lumpy Gravy a lot lately, but I prefer the above.

I'll have to check out Death Grips and Royal Bloods. When it comes to more modern stuff, I've been really into the gypsy punk bands in the last few years.
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited December 2014
    This has been a really good year, and I've been listening to a lot of stuff lately to try to put together a year-end mix (I did blog posts for a couple of years, skipped 2013 because I just didn't do the work, but I'm hoping that maybe I can put something together this year). I think the two real stand-outs for me have been Cymbals Eat Guitars "Lose" and Herzog's "Boys." Those are some really good rock records. For what it's worth to inform any recommendations, my kind of bread and butter is stuff like the Pixies, Pavement and Built to Spill and singer/songwriter-y stuff like Elliott Smith and Paul Simon, and the Beatles and what not. I also like Tom Waits quite a bit (particularly from the beginning up through the Black Rider).

I'm about two tracks into Royal Blood and it's pretty awesome. Good stuff. It is pretty surprising that they're a two piece. Big sound.

@AntManBee‌ what would you say is a good entry point for Lou Reed? I like the VU quite a bit but I just never really tried out his solo stuff.

I really want a Grizzly Bear sidekick, but Daniel Rossen won't return my phone calls.

• @broomperson‌ Death Grips is a trip. I hadn't heard of them before. Spotify doesn't have Inanimate Sensation, but I'm listening to Government Plates and I think bananas is a pretty good description. Pretty cool.

I really want a Grizzly Bear sidekick, but Daniel Rossen won't return my phone calls.

• broompersonbroomperson the Iron Islands
    hell yeah man. Theres really isn't any box to put them in. Super cryptic lyrics, the shouting. They're one of my favorite bands. Inanimate Sensation came out just the other day and theres a pretty crazy music video to go with it. But if you ask me, their best work are the albums Exmilitary and the Money Store. @TravisSmith
    I'm an International Assassin.
  • Thanks for the heads up man. I'm definitely going to have a look at those. They're a trip.

• I like it heavy, so Trivium, Avatar, Mindset Evolution, and Metallica (cant get enough)
    Octane on sirius/xm mostly
    I'm in my own little world, but it's ok, they know me here
  • I'm going back through the Parquet Courts record Sunbathing Animal this morning and it's even better than I remember. Very cool stuff.

• @AntManBee‌ what would you say is a good entry point for Lou Reed? I like the VU quite a bit but I just never really tried out his solo stuff.

Good question. I would say start with Transformer. That's got a lot of the big "hits" on there and it is probably his best and most famous post-VU album. Berlin is also a great album from that period. I'm also a huge fan of his first s/t album - which is just mainly reworked VU songs that were not yet released at that time. For later stuff, go with New York from 1989. Finally, there's my personal favorite, Magic and Loss from 1992. Oh man, I love that album.
  • WarpFoxWarpFox Nashville, TN
    Lately I've been on a Tame Impala kick. I love this kind of stuff, just catchy rock music. Favorites of all time are Smashing Pumpkins though. I can always listen to Siamese Dream.
  • @AntManBee‌ Thanks for the tips on Lou Reed. I'll do some sampling on those records.

I checked out this cool record by a group called Pontiak today (INNOCENCE) and I really liked it a lot. I hadn't heard them before. It goes back and forth between kind of loud and gritty and melodic and pretty, but it's all pretty cohesive. It's from this year, but it kind of sounds like it either came out in the 70s or the 90s. Has that nice, lower-fi warmth to it. Good record. I'm revisiting Angel Olsen's record too, which is good. High & Wild is an awesome tune.

• This is one of my favorite newer bands - Screaming Females. They're fronted by guitarist Marissa Paternost, who can really shred and has got a hell of a distinctive voice. They have a new album coming out in February, which I can't wait for.

Below is a live performance of a new song. The vocals could be better mixed, but it still kicks ass.

• TravisTravis CA
    edited December 2014
    Since a couple of people I follow have put out year end lists I've been turned on to a couple more really good releases:
    Celestial Shore - Enter Ghost: It feels like, at it's core it is a nice mellow rock record, but there are these moments of craziness that really make the record kind of special, to me at least. Definitely recommend it.
    White Reaper - s/t ep: They're a cool, low-fi rock band. Maybe a little surf-y, but with a little grit. It's a quick little 5 song ep that is nice and light and fun.

@AntManBee‌ Thanks for bringing up the Screaming Females. I heard an episode of Sound Opinions a couple of years back that featured them and I dug them, but never really went back to give them a proper listen. I'll do that.

• Awesome!
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited March 2015

I hadn't heard this song in quite some time and it popped up on shuffle this morning and proceeded to make me happier than any song has in quite some time. I was literally dancing around my office like a crazy person. One of those perfect song at the perfect moment types of things (which is one of the things that I love the most about music). Figured I would share. (Vinyl Records by Todd Snider) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Vq4lk0tBjM

• ArctorArctor The Netherlands
    edited March 2015
    This is my favorite album of all time:

http://youtu.be/C7MSH_U-oWI

It's in the Stoner/Doom genre and it's ideal for long drives in bad weather. SNAIL was sort of a legendary band during the Kyuss years, they didn't really have a lot of songs but they were held in extremely high esteem by critics. BLOOD was their comeback album after (I believe) ten years of absence following trouble in the band (a suicide and an overdose if I remember correctly).

Rumor has it they broke 9 guitar amps by cranking them all the way up just to get the right sound going. This was supposedly 80% of production costs for BLOOD.

This all resulted in one of the best albums of all time in the heavy rock scene, up there with the works of greats like Kyuss, Electric Wizard, Fu Manchu and the Melvins.

It's an emotional rollercoaster from start to finish that calms me and gives me goosebumps at the same time. I cannot overstate how awesome this record is.
    TravisAntManBee
  • Do you like Huey Lewis and The News? Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83 I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear crisp sound and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor. In '87, Huey released Fore, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip to be Square", a song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it's also a personal statement about the band itself.
    Travisksa1001

• TravisTravis CA
    edited March 2015

@ghm3 It's funny, Heart of Rock 'n Roll came on shuffle earlier today too. I enjoy Sports. I've listened to Fore, but it's probably been 25 years since I did.

Fun fact, did you know that Elvis Costello's backing band on My Aim Is True was more or less The News?

EDIT: Wait, was that the bit from American Psycho? Been too long since I've seen it to truly remember, but it reminded me of that.

FEED ME A CAT

ghm3

• @Travis Hahahaha sorry I couldn't help myself, and it wouldn't have worked if I alluded to it in any way in the same post.

TravisAntManBeeFlashGordon

• TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    I have Sirius XM radio in the car and listen to pearl jam, lithium (90s & grunge), 80's, 90's and the classic vinyl and classic rewind channels depending on mood. My phone has mostly pearl jam (27 albums worth), all Beatles, Rod Stewart, Neil Diamond and random other older stuff. I have Taylor swift, Katie perry, a one direction album, and some kids bop albums on it as well for my girls.

Like @Frakkin T, our dad's dj'ing really influenced my likes :) I don't listen to much new stuff, really. also like frakkin, I find myself listening to TS when my girls aren't around. :)
    Travis
    Don't tell me what I can't do!
  • ghm3 said:

@Travis Hahahaha sorry I couldn't help myself, and it wouldn't have worked if I alluded to it in any way in the same post.

I'm also a big fan of Huey, of course. And don't forget the brilliantly original and innovative charm of "The Power of Love" featured in Back to the Future. That film has a mere fraction of it's charm without this song. That pulsating synthesizer complimenting that beautifully melodic chorus. It's everything you'd want in a mid-80s rock song. As a 10 year old, I went to the theater that day to watch Back to the Future. I left with a new favorite song. 

TaraC73Travisghm3
  • Travis said:

I hadn't heard this song in quite some time and it popped up on shuffle this morning and proceeded to make me happier than any song has in quite some time. I was literally dancing around my office like a crazy person. One of those perfect song at the perfect moment types of things (which is one of the things that I love the most about music). Figured I would share. (Vinyl Records by Todd Snider) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Vq4lk0tBjM

That was great. I never heard that before.
    Travis
  • I was just listening to some Radical Face today and it was hitting my ears especially well so I figured I would share. They're a little mellow and artsy and I'm not sure what everyone's leanings are, but they're pretty great so here you go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQJPYG-8lng

• I don't know if there are any Belle and Sebastian inclined folks in here. Personally, I loved their stuff up through The Life's Pursuit, but the last couple after that didn't really do anything for me. I'm listening to their new album now though and it's really good.

Also, Josh Kurp from Uproxx had the following tweet that I thought was pretty funny, especially after listening to the album in question: "The original title of every song on Sufjan's new album was 'I Could Use a Hug.'" 

• @Travis That's a pretty funny tweet about Sufjan. I could never get into his stuff, probably for that reason.

I've always liked Belle and Sebastian. I have quite a few friends who are big fans. I've heard a lot of it through them. I'll have to ask if they've heard the new one, maybe even check it out myself.
  • If you like jazz or are looking to get into jazz, there is a college station in New York that dedicates at least half its programming to jazz. The cool thing about is they have a bunch of birthday broadcasts of jazz legends throughout the year. For 24 hours, they will play nothing but the music of that artist on their birthday.

There are three of them this month: Billie Holiday, Charles Mingus on the 22nd and Duke Ellington on the 29th.

And since it's Billie Holiday's centennial birthday tomorrow, they'll be extending the broadcast to 48 hours from Tuesday to Wednesday. That's a lot of Lady Day! But very worthwhile.

Anyone around the world can listen online at www.wkcr.org or on iTunes or the TuneIn app.
    Travis
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited April 2015

@AntManBee Sufjan can be an acquired taste, to be sure. Mostly, I love the Illinois record and casually enjoy some of his other stuff. I've only heard the new one once and though I didn't dislike it I wouldn't be surprised if I never came back to it.

The B&S record is very good (at least through 1 spin). Not their peak material, but I was pleasantly surprised. I had kind of written them off and mostly just listened to this one because it was put in front of me by Spotify, but I'm really glad I did.

Thanks for the heads up about WKCR. I've liked some jazz, but beyond playing through some cds that a friend/former band-mate of mine burned for me (he tossed me some standards when I expressed some curiosity (Miles, Monk, Coltrane, Mingus, etc.)). I really enjoyed it, but never really dug any deeper. I'll have to look into that.

AntManBee

• I should give Sufjan another chance. I'll give that Illinois album a listen.
    Travis