The Americans season 4

So Andy Greenwald said the premiere is devastatingly good, what do you guys think that means? I'm guessing Pastor Tim and wife are going to have a brutal death, someone is dying in this premiere.

Anyway season 4 hype thread? What do you guys want to see? Hope to see? I doubt the guys will pick this podcast up so I'm hoping those of us here that like the show can do something. Weekly episode threads for sure, wish we could do a community podcast but I don't know anything about how to set stuff like that up.
Elisa

Comments

• I love the show, and believe it is one of the best on television. Still don't know why Jim and A. Ron gave it up. We all have our tastes, I suppose.

There is another good podcast that covers it. It's called Watching The Americans.

http://www.watchingtheamericans.com

duncanpowersDrewElisamanhattnikSundial
  • I'm very excited to get going on this again! Great show. As far as what I would like to see, my only complaint with season three was that the show was a bit all over the place, and don't get me wrong, I totally get that the point was that they were spread so thin and overwhelmed. I would like to see it a bit more focused again. As great as season 3 was it just felt like they had too many irons in the fire and therefore what they were doing always felt a little underdeveloped. Once again, the exception being the strain on their household and that was compelling, but I kind of hope there is some singular, big objective that takes up a good chunk, spread throughout the season. I get if people think I'm crazy, and maybe it has to do with having binged the bulk of the season (playing catch-up and taking the last two or three week to week), but that would be my hope. Either way it's a brilliant show and I can't wait to see what they do next.
    DrewElisa
  • edited January 2016
    Does anyone know when Amazon Prime will have season 3 available? I loved seasons 1 and 2 and was crushed when I discovered S3 wasn't there.

Edit: Never mind. I just found the answer. Feb. 15! I can't wait.
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    edited January 2016
    @Hollyoak my go to podcast for The Americans is Rise Comrades. They podcast while rewatch in the episode, really like them guys. If I remember right the BM guys gave up on the show because they said it was to dark and uncomfortable to watch, specifically the Kimmie plot line really turned A Ron off if I recall correctly.

@Travis I really liked all the plot lines from last season, but I know your complaint that it was all over the place was something I heard from multiple people.

I love Martha but I don't know how much longer they can keep her alive, especially since Phillip revealed himself last season. I guess the little hints at Stan starting to take an interest in her could be something of plot armor for the first half of the season atleast. I can't imagine she will take her colleagues death very well when she finds out.

Paige is having a hard time with the spy revelation so we will see how her character either starts to accept the truth or continues to push back against it. I kind of hope that if they have to kill Pastor Tim they either force her to kill him or force her to watch to show the consequences of telling their secret.

Henry is the shows secret weapon this season. He's been in the background the whole series but I think his plot line with Stan could be huge this season. They can play it two ways; have him turn into a true blue anti communist that wants to work as an agent when he gets older, or what I hope is that he turns into the spy the Residentura wants Paige to be. We've seen him be sneaky, he's good at lying, and we also saw he was able to break into his neighbors home when he wanted to play their Atari.

And I'm very excited to see the continued downward spiral of Phillip and his continuing conflict with being a spy. He's definitely going to deflect by the end of the series if he isn't caught or killed.
    TravisElisa
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    @AntManBee February 15
  • Thanks. Yeah, I just found the answer myself and edited my post. I can't wait to see it.
  • Pastor Tim has got to go. I will be so disappointed if they feint on that storyline. Meanwhile I'm trying to make peace with the idea that things must necessarily spiral downward for our spies. I hope that they find a way to once again emphasize the chemistry between Philip and Elizabeth, despite the increasingly dark trajectory. I missed some of that last season in their effort to show the awkwardness and danger growing once again; and, now that the stars having a baby in real life, I fear that it may continue to get worse, as it does many times when real chemistry develops between actors.

I listen to both Watching the Americans and Rise Comrades. Between the two you get a good balance of facts/background with WTA and a chummy discussion with RC. But Rise Comrades does tend to fall behind sometimes. 
    TravisDrewElisaJasmynP
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    @duncanpowers I predict we will see Phillip fall for Stans wife at the EST meetings. Whether he will legitimately fall in love with her and leave Elizabeth I don't know but that could make for some interesting story.

On the podcast tip I forgot The Slate TV The Americans podcast was great last season. It's basically The Americans version of the Breaking Bad Insider Podcast. It's hosted by the show runners and either one of their editors or writers I can't remember. Last season they had an actor from the show in each episode, I hope they do the podcast again this season.
    Elisa
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Unf, I bloody love this show. NO ONE I know watches it and most have never even heard of it. It's so frustratingly under the radar.

I hope they do kill off Pastor Tim - that would be a great catalyst for some huge drama and conflict.
    DrewduncanpowersElisaAManIsNoOne
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    @dee I know my friends and family get sick of me preaching about this show but I'm like damn give it a shot if you want me to shut up about it.
    duncanpowersElisaDee
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    edited January 2016
    Love this show big time.  Watching the Americans and the Slate podcast are my go to for discussion and insight.  Let's try and talkabout it on the forums if we can. Okay predictions - Martha dead. Pastor Tom dead. Paige spills the beans on her parents to Stan on the season finale. :o)
    Dee
  • March 16 can't get here quick enough.

Seems early for Greenwald to be getting an advanced copy??
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    @Elisa the Paige telling Stan prediction is bold, as for Pastor Tim I'm super excited to see that play out, they have to hit that immediately in the premiere because I don't think they can drag Pastor Tim knowing for multiple episodes.

@tom_g yeah super early, I wonder how many episodes he got or if he just got the premiere. Wonder if Sepinwall has seen the premiere yet.
  • Sepinwall says the first two episodes are terrific, and that the second episode will feature another popular song from the era.
    ElisaTravis
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    Holy shit I'm just watching People vs. OJ Simpson and they showed a season 4 trailer that was all new footage! Looked fucking awesome! Paige and Pastor Tim on the phone with him asking if she can find out more about what they do, FBI agents rushing something, Arkady saying they need to extract someone, Stan holding Phillip by his shirt telling him not to lie to him, Claudia, what looks like Gabriel dead. Holy shit looks amazing.
    Elisatom_g
  • The Stan scene has to be about his ex wife. 
    Elisa
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    Exciting trailer.

DrewElisa
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    @pavlovsbell youre the real MVP, how do we embed YouTube videos and images into posts?
    pavlovsbell
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I also saw the trailer called Never Know...I wonder if Martha confides in Stan?

• pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    edited February 2016
    @Drew For youtube videos, I just link it normally (copy & paste link).  No need to use the hyperlink function.  For images, you have to host them on a website (e.g., imgur) and use the Insert Image function.
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited February 2016
    tom_g said:

Sepinwall says the first two episodes are terrific, and that the second episode will feature another popular song from the era.

Excellent! They do such a good job with utilizing songs. I particularly loved the Golden Earing. I actually bought the tune the day after watching that episode. Come to think of it, I bought the Yaz tune too, though I already had an affinity for that one from the 80s. I already had The Chain, but that scene was awesome! Anyhoo, I can't wait to see what's next.
    ElisaAntManBee
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    "The uploader has not made this video available in your country."

MOTHAFUUUUUUUUU
    TravisKela15
  • DrewDrew indianapolis

Oh shit
    Elisa
  • Kela15Kela15 Malta, Europe
    Are all these videos not available to us Europeans?!?! Bloody geoblocking...
    Dee
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    2 new spots:
    Fingers crossed @Kela15

Elisapavlovsbell
  • ClaretoClareto New Zealand
    I'm halfway through season two and starting to find it pretty repetitive/boring... is it worth sticking through? Or does it stay at about the same level?
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    Some people felt that season 2 wasn't as good as season 1 so if you enjoyed the first season stick with it, season 3 was great.
    Elisatom_g
  • Just started my season 3 rewatch - I've got a toothache all of a sudden.
    ElisaAntManBeeAManIsNoOne
  • Drew said:

I love Martha but I don't know how much longer they can keep her alive, especially since Phillip revealed himself last season. I guess the little hints at Stan starting to take an interest in her could be something of plot armor for the first half of the season atleast. I can't imagine she will take her colleagues death very well when she finds out.

Paige is having a hard time with the spy revelation so we will see how her character either starts to accept the truth or continues to push back against it. I kind of hope that if they have to kill Pastor Tim they either force her to kill him or force her to watch to show the consequences of telling their secret.

Henry is the shows secret weapon this season. He's been in the background the whole series but I think his plot line with Stan could be huge this season. They can play it two ways; have him turn into a true blue anti communist that wants to work as an agent when he gets older, or what I hope is that he turns into the spy the Residentura wants Paige to be. We've seen him be sneaky, he's good at lying, and we also saw he was able to break into his neighbors home when he wanted to play their Atari.

And I'm very excited to see the continued downward spiral of Phillip and his continuing conflict with being a spy. He's definitely going to deflect by the end of the series if he isn't caught or killed.

@Drew, just replying back to an earlier post of yours.

1) Martha- I think (and I know I am) most people are tired of the Martha storyline and it's getting to the point where do we really believe this could actually happen.  I'm guessing somehow she's going to be found out and it's going to come back on her whether she reveals to Stan everything that she's done or she tells "Clarke" that she's going to confess and after not convincing her to do otherwise, he ends up killing her.

2) Paige- I think your scenario with Paige is WAY too dark and would never happen.  If Phillips and Elizabeth kill Pastor Tim in front of Paige or try to get her to kill him, they'd have to kill her right then and there (and I don't see them ever killing their own child, especially not Phillip).  Even for Phil and Liz, that is too twisted.  Right now, Phil and Liz don't know that Paige has confessed to Pastor Tim.  So it's really just a matter of what Pastor Tim does with this info that will seal his fate.  If he confronts either Phil and/or Liz and tells them he knows (without prior telling anyone else), I think they immediately arrange for him to have an "accident" and tell Paige that they had nothing to do with it.  If Tim has already told someone, then I'm not sure what happens to him.  Maybe he still dies but their overall problem is still in existence.

3) Henry- definitely has options with what to do with him, but I don't have any real guesses as to what they do with him.  To me, I just see him as an AJ Soprano type character with no real storyline/value to the show.  He's just there to be there.  Granted, things can change.

• Kela15Kela15 Malta, Europe
    Drew said:

2 new spots:
    Fingers crossed @Kela15

No sorry still not working. Thanks anyways tho

Elisa