Black Sails Season 3

DrewDrew indianapolis
Currently watching 301, anyone a fan of this show? Season 1 was pretty meh but season 2 was pretty great, hopefully we can continue the quality of season 2 or get a jump in quality like we did between season 1 and 2.
Elisavoodoorat

Comments

• Oh crap, I didn't know it was already back! Apart from a few annoying characters, I love the show, and especially the main theme - every time I watch an episode, I rewind the theme song 3 or 4 times, lol. It's just so damn good and gets me in the pirate-mood! I don't think I've ever loved a theme song of any show as I do this one.
    DrewElisa
  • I finished the first episode of Season 3 yesterday.    This is a consistently high quality and entertaining show.   Toby Stephens as Captain Flint is amazing.  He reminds me of a nautical Vicky Macky (The Shield), and is strange mix of idealist, and burned out realist.   Great supporting performances by other characters.     This is a terrific show, and one of my favorites.   It caused me a to read up on pirates, such as the book Republic of Pirates.    A great interview with the Show Runner on this link:

Elisa
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    @reni I really hope someone kills Max this season I found her to be really annoying, but I really enjoyed Elenor so maybe my Max hate is just because she was making moves against her last season. And as for the theme, Black Sails has the best intro on tv period. Love the song and the video is so cool, that was what I was most excited about seeing when I watched the premiere last night.

@ntmanwaring i will read that article. I find myself after every episode wikipediaing the characters to see which were real and read their stories. I never cared about pirates but season 1 of this and Assassins Creed 4 hitting in the same year got me super interested.

Also season 4 is confirmed, I love that they renew the show before it even airs but they mostly just do that because they film year around.
    Elisa
  • @Drew I agree 100%, Max really has to go! I didn't like her much to begin with, but it got worse in S2 after she got between Anne Bonny and Jack Rackham. I really like Anne and Jack together, not necessarily as a romantic couple but as a team. Anne is a pirate and she belongs on a ship - not in a whorehouse with her now-flawless skin and hair. It just doesn't suit her.

I really, reeeally liked 301 and how it set up the season. I like the new Flint, and glad Mrs. Barlow is gone from the equation, as I didn't care for her either. Excited about Blackbeard, and also the new governor's storyline. Oh, and Hornigold can go eat a bag of dicks.
    Drew
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I really enjoyed the opener and e2 looks fabulous as they try to guide the ship through a storm. I'm excited about Blackbeard and Eleanor's plea bargain. I really hope Anne Bonny gets more agency and something to do, other than pining over Max.
    Drew
  • HeffHeff Connecticut
    I watched the first 2-3 episodes of Season 1, but I don't get the channel anymore. Have the first two seasons made it to Hulu or Netflix yet? I forgot about it, honestly.
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Amazon (not prime) and Starz Play
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    @reni I really dislike the relationship between Max and Anne as well. I don't need her and Jack to be romantic either but Max has kind of ruined the relationship between Jack and Anne. The scene where Flint and crew go through that town at the beginning was awesome, and John Silver looks bad ass with the peg leg, just hope he doesn't ruin his whole leg.

@Elisa I was pretty bummed we didn't see them go into the storm yet but I like the way last season and this season appears to be making the whole season be one big story with the episodes kind of bleeding into each other as opposed to other shows where each episode feels like a story for that episode that contributes to the overall story. Blackbeard looked dope, I wonder what his relationship with Vane is, I thought his slave owner was that big dude he killed in season 1. I'm pretty nervous for Eleanor, I'm glad she survived last season since she's one of my favorite characters but I can't imagine her turning on Nassau will end well.
    ReniElisa
  • manhattnikmanhattnik the big apple
    Love this show. Lots of great, crazy characters. And the nautical battles/effects are superb. Sometimes I stop and thing, damn that ocean’s beautiful. 
    Elisa
  • @Drew Did you see the season 3 trailer, where John Silver squashes in someone's head with his peg leg? Seems like his character will take a very dark turn. I didn't care for him much in the beginning, but I grew to really like him over time. I hope he doesn't lose his leg, though I guess his infection will play at least a semi-crucial part in some future storyline.
    DrewElisa
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    @reni yeah he's definitely grown on me, last season I really started to like him. That scene in the preview was cool can't wait to see what they have in store for him.
    Elisa
    Hats off to them for the storm! I ended up turning down the volume for a bit, which is my cowardly way of dealing with something really scary on TV. You had an excellent sense of the ship’s increasing danger as it heeled farther and farther over. Just spectacular. 
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    edited February 2016
    Damn great episode. I really love how they are portraying Blackbeard. The storm stuff was pretty amazing. The scene where Silver held his crew mates hand while he died was powerful. Are we being hinted at them killing Flint off this season? What was that monster or was it just a representation of death?
    Spookycat4Elisa
  • I'm not particularly fond of Eleanor. She's betrayed every single person she partnered with, with the possible exception of Flint. (Seems like she's doing that now.) Vane is my favorite character. Sure he's an ahole, but so are the rest of them. Rackham is my second favorite. He's so funny.
    Drew said:

Damn great episode. I really love how they are portraying Blackbeard. The storm stuff was pretty amazing. The scene where Silver held his crew mates hand while he died was powerful. Are we being hinted at them killing Flint off this season? What was that monster or was it just a representation of death?

Even though I knew where it was heading, I also foundvthat to be a great scene. I hadn't put it together about the monster, but that seems spot on to me. I think the time between whrn England and the US started trying to eradicate the pirates was pretty short so it would make sense.

Elisa
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    @Spookycat4 i love Eleanor, I just can't figure out if she is legitimately helping the Wnglish dude take over Nassau or if she is playing him to get back there. I'm going to predict she's playing him and will somehow get Flint to help her escape and run off the English.
  • I can't believe that Black Sails doesn't get more love from critics and fans.    Flint is just an amazing character and his backstory in England was really revealed in a very clever way.   I never expected the gay relationship, until they showed the two of them kissing.    It made sense but totally caught me by surprise.    

As far as history, apparently Blackbeard (Teach) was Hornigold's protege, and Hornigold was really the founder of the Pirate Republic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Pirates

Elisa
  • edited February 2016

• Yeah, this show is way underrated. I wasn't entirely sold in the beginning of S1, but it just keeps getting better and better. Not to mention how freaking good it looks! CGI in tv shows tends to be pretty poor, but Black Sails is astonishing. I wathc it on a projector for maximum cinematographic experience and I hardly project tv.
    Can't wait for the new ep!
    Elisa
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    It's a mix of treasure island and historical pirate island. They get into the politics, history and what it was like to live and die on the sea. The show really hit its stride at the end of season 1 and 2 is really good. It's an awesome thrill ride.
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    Damn tonight's episode, XXV, is awesome. Don't want to spoil anything so I'll just say don't miss it.
    Elisa
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    Episode 308 was great, I'm really enjoying this season. The rescue of Jack was fucking awesome, I was sure Vane was dead I'm very surprised he survived. I know before the season I hated on Max but damn I've enjoyed her story as well. I liked her willing to give up her money to join the heads of the island for some reason.
    Elisamanhattnik
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    This episode was perfect.  The Jack Rackman back story was very cool and I loved how he sparred verbally with Woodes the governor.  The opening dialogue between Vane and Flint was brilliant. Vane is a pirate through and through and doesn't want to settle down or be caged.  He switches places with Jack at the end, but what will Eleanor do?  The stand off between the Princess and Silver was clever as well and very inspirational.  Anne and Jack reunited.  This episode was had so much goodness.
    Drewmanhattnik
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    edited March 2016
    I was really touched by the Jack and Anne reunion. We know the have a tight bond but last season Max came between them and kind of separated them. I don't know if that was just the writer being like we need more tits and we need more lesbian sex to keep people's attention but it feels like they quickly dumped Max and Anne at the begining of this season and got back to Jack and Anne.

Maybe that's why I hated Max so much last season but like her story this season.
    Elisamanhattnik
    I also liked how realistic the fight between Vane and the Gov was. Heck, I liked just about everything about this episode.
    Elisa
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    Fuck, fuck, fuck. Not having the hanging as the final scene was a mistake IMO.
    ReniElisa
  • oh, fuck :(
    DrewElisa
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    I don't think I've been this down on a characters death in a while, such a big hole in the cast now. Jack seems to be being pushed into Vanes role as second head captain. I hope Blackbeard goes ape shit on them fucking red coats.
    Elisa
  • I feel the same. I just couldn't believe my eyes when Billy decided not to rescue him. Not his fault, of course, but it was one of those things when you just know that this character is safe and that he'll be saved in the last minute. And then the shock.
    I like Jack, and I'm sure he'll do a fine job, but I'm just so sad about Vane. He was kind of a scumbag for sure, but still somehow likeable, and he had such a presence - no one will be able to replace that. No one has that sort of charisma. And he was one of the few actors where him constantly speaking in the whisper voice didn't drive me insane, lol.

But it's true that the revolution can't be stopped now. If the people of Nassau hate Eleanor half as much as I do, she'll be dead by the end of the season. What she did was unacceptable, and I don't think the governor will be ok with it either. Unless he dies of this disease.
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Well I hate to say it but many pirates were executed in this fashion for treason and their anarchical lifestyle. I wonder if we are going to see the end of the golden age of piracy in all its glory on the show.
  • edited March 2016
    Well, what did everyone think of the finale? I thought it was satisfying and wrapped up things nicely, while still leaving room for mysteries about the next season. It has been obvious for a while that this is the beginning of the rise of John Silver, but I'm not sure I like that they seem to be pitting him against Flint. I'll admit, at first I couldn't stand Silver, I hated how he weaseled his way in and out of any situation as he pleased, but he has really grown on me and is one of my favorite characters now.
    Also, I definitely do love Anne Bonny way more when she's with Jack than when she was with Max.

Overall I loved the finale, I'm glad Hornigold's gone, I had enough of him. I only wish Eleanor and/or Max would've gone with him, I can't stand either one of those bitches.
    manhattnikElisa