The End of Chipotle

Somebody put a suicide watch on Jim.

"Chipotle has lost $8 billion in value since its stock peaked in August."

"The Centers for Disease Control announced Monday that the company's E. coli outbreak "appears to be over." CDC experts were unable to identify the exact cause of the outbreak."

We don't know what caused it...but we're pretty sure it's not there anymore.

MichaelG

Comments

• Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    First Bezos losing $6 billion and now Chipotle!? Its going to be okay Jim, I promise.
  • Jim should just use his Bald Move $$$ to open up "Jimmy's Bald Burritos" 

Problem solved.

• A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    He's in denial. I told him about it two weeks ago and he pretended I was speaking in Korean or something.
    MichelleMichaelGadobo1148
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    edited February 2016
    It's a conspiracy: http://www.businessinsider.com/chipotle-e-coli-conspiracy-theory-2015-12

"...result of the biotech industry unleashing bioterrorism attacks against the only fast food company that has publicly denounced GMOs."
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    edited February 2016
    Time for King Taco to take control of your lives!!!
    The small independent chain that rules the east part of L.A. Can now move in now that the usurper has been denounced. They will sweep thru your urban centers across the country to show real Mexican food. Jim will get to discover the greatness of the carnitas burrito. Tortas soapas and tacos will be the main stays of your diet. Kneel down to your new King.
    My god I really need GOT to return.
  • Not going to happen. Chipotle demand is as elastic as Costco gasoline in my mind. 
  • DrKenDrKen Chicago
    edited February 2016

Not going to happen. Chipotle demand is as elastic as Costco gasoline in my mind. 

...and they taste the same. :)
    MichaelG
  • @DrKen What?? Do you have an alternative? Or do you just hate mission style burritos?
  • No. I actually liked Chipotle as a fast food option.

Not as good as an authentic Mexican establishment. But good for what it is.

Not gonna lie, though. I'm opting out for a while until they stop throwing darts to figure out their problems.
    Freddy
  • Dunno if they figured out that they did something wrong or if it's a precautionary measure but I've noticed that they've started religiously checking the temps on their food.  
  • I read they started doing that, and a good thing to do for sure. Need to make sure the meats stay hot to prevent illnesses.
    Jim said:

Dunno if they figured out that they did something wrong or if it's a precautionary measure but I've noticed that they've started religiously checking the temps on their food.  

<b
    @Jim Are you joking? From what I heard in the news they knowingly let tainted food go out to the public. They check the temps because they got caught. If you cook the food to the temp like 135 you can kill ecoli. I worked as a line cook for large chain(known for there baby back baby backs). Store managers are under lots of pressure they break the rules where they can. If they get caught they usually do the right thing when they know people are watching.
  • Not joking.  I just didn't follow the story at all.
  • I eat at Chipotle almost every day, so I may rival Jim as a fan.    They have been giving me those Buy one Get one Free Coupons, and today when I tried to use one of those Coupons, they said....."Lunch is on us today".   I think they are trying to keep the most loyal customers loyal.     They did stop putting sliced Lemons out for your drinks, and I noticed the Meat Thermometers as well.    I think as long as you stay away from the Sofritas, you ought to be safe (no on ever gets Sofritas, they must sit there for weeks).       

Jim have you tried Asian Shophouse....it is run by Chipotle, and is a test, that they were planning on launching nationally.    I think there are 6 today, and I have eaten the ones in Bethesda, MD, Washington DC and in LA.    It is really good as well.

Chipotle food is so fresh, that I think that without going the Taco Bell route, they will continue to fight with this.   I also read that when you try to source things locally, you lose a lot of the logistics chain efficiencies that would allow you to make sure you don't food borne contaminants.
    edited February 2016
    Checking temps isn't the fix for there problem. Checking temps just means that the holding table is on correctly. That is for the publics satisfaction the prep area is where the problem is. This customers don't see. In California managers are required to have a food safety permit. I was a manager and had to have one. To get one you have to take a day course and take a test. They teach you about the things that can happen to have food born illness. Most restaurants run the same way, they have a third party come and make sure they are following guide lines. The managers know how to get around the guide lines. In the case of Chipotle it was human error. Back in the late 80s Jack in the Box had the same problem. It almost killed the chain. They did the same thing after by giving away things and offering discounts. I don't think Chipotle will have this problem again. not because they do spot checks because it is just luck of the draw. The perfect storm hit and they messed it up. Best thing to do is don't eat out. Working in the food industry for like 20 years,I learned one thing, that is money maters more than safety to the people that make your food.
  • OliviaDOliviaD Cincinnati, Ohio
    @Jim my friend shared a post on FB from chipotle offering a free burrito if you text RAINCHECK to 888-222 since all locations were closed from 11-4 today for that food safety training. While I realize they give you free food all the time, it couldn't hurt to have an additional free burrito coupon in your back pocket for a later date.
  • Thanks for the heads up.  Everyone I've ever known has now officially told me about this raincheck thing.  Apparently I love burritos.
    MichelleDancesWithWookiesaligal
  • MichelleMichelle California
    lol @OliviaD, I was just coming here to let him know the same thing. @Jim, we're all just looking out for ya! :)
  • OliviaDOliviaD Cincinnati, Ohio
    @Michelle lol. I'm not a big fan of their burritos (I prefer to make my own at home, less chance of food poisoning since I've taken food safety courses for my old job) but I think I'm going to partake in this free burrito offer. Who can pass up free food?
    Michelle
This discussion has been closed.