The 100 - Surprisingly enjoyable and has shades of both "Battlestar Galactica" and "Lost"

I couldn't find a thread anywhere on this show, so apologies if one already exists. 

This is one of those shows that I never would've given a chance had I not had some articles from critics I like, championing it, pop up in my newsfeed. There are some barriers to entry, which I'm wondering is why they don't have a wider audience. The title's not very good. It's based on a YA novel set in, surprise, surprise, a dystopian future. The first couple of episodes elicit some eye rolls. And the soundtrack can feel a bit too teenage drama at times.

Yet, by the end of the third episode, I found myself wanting to see more. There are lots of difficult, morally ambiguous situations that the characters find themselves in with no easy answers. Characters you hate in the beginning often become more layered and interesting as the show progresses. There are multiple factions with different viewpoints and motivations that become more apparent as the story unfolds. I'm also really impressed with what they can do with a very limited budget.

I've only just finished the first season, but I am excited to jump into the second season. Both are available on Netflix now and the third season just started. 

Anyway, if you like Battlestar or Lost (It even has Henry Ian Cusick (Desmond) from Lost as a major character), I think you may dig this show if you are willing to give it a few episodes to really catch your attention. 

Is anyone else on here watching this show? 
Elisa

Comments

• @DaveyMac Not yet.  It's on my list.  I can only really tackle one back catalog show at a time.  I'm currently working on Banshee, just started season 3 today.  Should be done in a week or so and The 100 is very likely to be the next one I start. 
    DaveyMac
  • I'm current on The 100. The show is really hit or miss for me - it's ability to hit incredibly strong highs for a 3-5 ep stretch, and then bottom out for a 3-5 ep stretch is unusual, and often frustrating. Certain story arcs & certain actors work better than others. Wish I liked the lead female more. 
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I love this show. Strong female characters, awesome diverse cast, actions and consequences, dystopian and error sci Fi themes. So much better than walking dead. I highly recommend it.
    DaveyMac
  • Surprisingly good. At first I was afraid it was going too strong w/ the CW teen romance stuff ... but they moved away largely from that and have gone in some pretty interesting (and dark) directions.

I agree w/ @hypergenesb, some of the actors are hit or miss. Although the female lead has improved, IMO.

Semi-random tangent; has anyone read Seveneves by Neal Stephenson? The book shares some themes w/ The 100 (but is of course being a Stephenson novel a lot more focused on the hard sci-fi aspects of colonizing in space and re-colonizing earth).
    ElisaDaveyMac
  • edited February 2016
    In response to a good friend championing this show, my wife and I started watching. We are one or two episodes away from the end of season 1.

The good:
    Absolutely brilliant idea for a show. The setup provides great context for being able to explore issue of law, philosophy, custodianship of the environment and the planet, community vs. the individual, etc.
    There is some good acting in the show too.

The not as good:
    So far, I definitely feel that, myself being almost 40 now, this show is made for people half my age. :)
    Some Battle Royale-esque melodramatic love stories and a lot of teenagers vs. parents issues have me really hoping the writers string the show in a different direction. I don't feel like they are taking as much advantage as they can of such a fantastic story setup and the ability they have to address bigger issues.

The show is good enough to keep me watching episodes, but not good enough to bump it ahead of some other shows I'm trying to catch up on like Deadwood and The Americans.

Comparisons:
    Battlestar Galactica meets Lost seems pretty fair.
    There are a striking number of parallels to plot points from Lost during the first season so far, with hatches, the others, and unexplained supernatural mysteries.

@MrX
    Good to hear they are going to take it in a darker direction.
    ElisaDaveyMac
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Season 2 is fantastic @ryanfoster.  Keep going :)

ryanfosterDaveyMac
  • I had heard a lot of good things so my wife and I tried it and noped out about half way through the pilot, but I have been meaning to get back to it because people talk a lot about how you basically have to hold your nose and get through the first few, but it's really worth it once you get a little ways in. I've been meaning to get back to it, but there is just too much good tv and I kind of forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder to bump it up the list a bit. 

ryanfoster
  • I just finished the first episode of the second season and I'm very intrigued by the possible new directions the show will take. I definitely agree with some of what @ryanfoster and others have had in the way of criticism, but for me the good definitely outweighs the bad. I love having a sci-fi show to be invested in again. It's been awhile. I've also heard good things about "The Expanse", so I'm excited to get to that one soon. 

@MrX Thanks so much for the Neal Stephenson recommendation. I've added it to my list of books to get to. I own a couple of his books, but I haven't actually read any of them yet. 

@hypergenesb I haven't had any 3-5 episode stretches that bottomed out for me, but there have been a few times where I felt like the plot feels a bit forced in order to keep certain characters in play, etc. But nothing has really reached the point of frustrating for me yet. I go back and forth on the lead character, but I do like that she makes mistakes and acts like I think someone with her age and background would act. 

@Elisa I totally concur on the strong female characters and diverse cast. I also like some of the group dynamics in play in terms of their different strengths and weaknesses. 

@Travis, I'd definitely try to stick it out to the end of episode 4, if you can. I think that episode kind of shows the possibilities of the kinds of directions and dark places the show can go. I hear you on there being so much good tv to watch, though, so I get why you would nope out early if you're not feeling it.
    ryanfosterTravis
  • Louballs77Louballs77 Coral Springs, FL
    I noped out after the first couple episodes...maybe I should go back and try again.
  • I'm about halfway through Season 2 now, and wow, this shit gets dark. I'm actually falling behind in "The X-Files", because I'm just finding this a lot more compelling. And I agree with @Elisa that it's a lot more interesting than "The Walking Dead", though I did stop watching that show somewhere in Season 3. 

I think it's totally worth giving it another shot, though I also get that it's not for everyone and there are definitely barriers to get over before getting hooked.

Elisa
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    It gets good at S1 E6. I had to restart it twice but it is really worth it.
    DaveyMac