The People vs. O.J. Simpson

MrXMrX CO
edited February 2016 in Other TV
Anyone watch the premiere? I thought it was actually pretty good, and it especially has a great cast - who would've thought that putting David Schwimmer, Cuba Gooding Jr, and John Travolta in a room together would be riveting television!

I think a lot of people such as myself who came of age in the 90's will always have a morbid fascination w/ the O.J. case. I remember our middle school history teacher wheeled in the tv cart for us to watch the verdict. I'll definitely be tuning in for the duration.
ElisaBourbonQueen

Comments

• A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I'll see it before the weekend.  I'm psyched for it!
    TravisMrXElisa
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    It was real good. Glad to see Cuba getting some work after being missing for a while, from mainstream shit atleast. I figured they would be more ambiguous with his guilt but they don't seem to be hiding the fact.
    Elisa
  • I'm really excited about it, but I'm in a Wednesday night bowling league so it's sitting on the DVR for tonight. I can't wait.

• TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    It's in the DVR, I'll probably watch this weekend. I've been looking forward to this for months!!
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I watched it last night. I was pleasantly surprised.  It is very well done and a good setup episode to the times and state of everyone's mindset in 94.  The acting is solid and there are lots of different perspectives.  I really enjoyed the evidence/crime scene gathering in the beginning as well as the relationship between Cochran and Darden.  
  • I enjoyed the hell out of that.

I was in my early 20s and that was one of those "you remember where you were" deals with the Bronco chase and the verdict. It truly was crazy.

I just wish it was Netflix so I could binge it.
    Elisaksa1001
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    edited February 2016
    Am I right in saying that this is made by Ryan Murphy??? This worries me a bit, but so far i think it's been really fantastic. Reminded what a phenomenal actor Cuba Gooding Jr. is.

I was only about 5 years old when this all happened, so I although I have stronger memories from it then I would've thought (i guess it's just so pervasive in the culture), I wasn't old enough to follow the close details like the rest of America. I didn't realize the highway chase was after the police were involved and the murder known... I had thought him speeding down the highway with a gun was what started the investigation...

I cant say I don't have those moments of discomfort because I know I am watching a serialized drama about real people that actually got murdered who's trail was seen with an uncomfortable level of entertainment back in the 90's, and here again we are watching. Hopefully it can be with some class and restraint. 
    Elisa
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    I was only 5 years old when it happened, and being from the UK it hasn't permeated pop culture in that same way that it has in the States.

Decided to watch because I am a big fan of Sarah Paulson, and whilst I did enjoy it, it felt very camp to me, especially the scenes with the Kardashian girls/women that just felt like they were included to pander to the current obsession with that family.

John Travolta's character and performance too felt very spoof-esque.

Will definitely keep watching though as, although I know the broad strokes of the case, there is probably a lot of detail that I have never heard before.
    Dee
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    edited February 2016
    I remember that time and how weird things got.
    When OJ was on the run they left the coverage of the NBA finals to goto the news coverage.
    I was delivering pizza, it was so busy I was the only one working that night I made a pile of money in tips.
    A few months before the murder I heard OJ on Howard Stern, promoting the last Naked Gun movie. The interview turned real dark when he started talking about Nicole.he was real sad and talked about getting back with her. It made me sad. The first thing that hit my mind when I heard about the murder was that interview.
    I was stuck in crazy traffic one day when I got to close to the court house where he was making a court appearance. There were so many news vans.
    ElisaTravisksa1001
  • I haven't seen it yet, but have heard great things. I'm really interested to see this story as an adult. I was about 9 years old at the time and I remember watching it unfold with my parents, but I don't remember a lot of the details and I'm sure tons of stuff flew over my head.
    ElisaTravisksa1001
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I think Ryan Murphy is executive producing. He might be writing or directing an episode or two.
    Travis
  • Elisa said:

I think Ryan Murphy is executive producing. He might be writing or directing an episode or two.

I think he directed the first two. John Singleton (Boyz n the Hood) is directing episode 5 titled "The Race Card," I'm pretty excited about that.
    Cdonc24ElisaTravis
  • Thought the first episode was very entertaining and compelling. Im curious, what did everyone think of the casting decisions? There are some big names involved in the project, and by and large, the acting has gotten high marks. A number of reviews I've read have criticized Travolta, but, without comparing him to the real life Robert Shapiro, I thought his performance fit stylistically / tonally with the rest of the show (and certainly was on par w Cuba's portrayal of OJ). And after all, it's a surreal story set in a surreal time, and the show captures that vibe.
    Elisa
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Honestly all of the acting is solid.  I really didn't have a problem with anyone except intentionally including the Kardashian family youngsters.
    ksa1001
  • MichelleMichelle California
    I'm planning on watching this over the weekend at some point.   Glad to see the positive reviews.  Really looking forward to this, as I remember hours upon hours of tv coverage being devoted to the trial.  I'm wondering if they are going to lean one way or the other in their opinion of whether or not he is guilty, or if it'll be shown unbiased.  Personally, I think he's guilty as hell.  But that's just me.

Elisa
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited February 2016
    Michelle said:

I'm planning on watching this over the weekend at some point.   Glad to see the positive reviews.  Really looking forward to this, as I remember hours upon hours of tv coverage being devoted to the trial.  I'm wondering if they are going to lean one way or the other in their opinion of whether or not he is guilty, or if it'll be shown unbiased.  Personally, I think he's guilty as hell.  But that's just me.

My wife told me that they are only using things that were considered recorded facts of the case, which I assume would mean that they aren't meaning to lean either way. It seems like a super tough line to walk, and I wonder if they will be able to accomplish it, but it is my understanding that that is their intention.

I really liked the first one quite a bit. They did a really good job. It's funny though, I'm not sure if Robert Kardashian was anything like a more buttoned up Ross Gellar, but lacking any evidence to the contrary I now believe it. I like what he's doing, and I believe it is a good performance but it's hard to not see Ross in there.

Elisa
  • This was so good I watched it twice this week. I was working in the newsroom at The Detroit News during this story. I learned far more about this case than I ever wanted to know. But 20 years later, I'm comforted by how much I've forgotten. Plus, this show is loaded with details that most people didn't know. Looking forward to the rest. Wish I could binge it all right now, cause it would make for a helluva binge. 
    ElisaTravisksa1001
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @amyja89 I agree - there was no reason for those Kardashian girls to be mentioned. That was so forced.

I thought it was okay - well acted but kind of flat and colourless. And John Travolta's makeup and coloured contacts were super distracting.
    Elisa
  •    That was very chilling when OJ had the gun up against his head wanting to commit suicide.  I have seen Cuba in several movies and he does an excellent job every time.

Watching the first episode brought back memories, of where I was when I heard different parts of the story.  Seeing the Kato character brought a laugh as well as the, Limo driver and the forensic investigator, that poor guy was grilled while he was on the stand.  I saw a preview and in it was Judge Ito. 

This case held the nations interest for almost 2 years, from the day the bodies were discovered to pretrial motions and the VERDICT. 

• Dee said:

@amyja89 I agree - there was no reason for those Kardashian girls to be mentioned. That was so forced.

I thought it was okay - well acted but kind of flat and colourless. And John Travolta's makeup and coloured contacts were super distracting.

John Travolta gave me the creeps, and I don't remember getting that from the real Robert Shapiro. 

I don't remember where I was for the car chase, but when the verdict was read I was working in a factory, and all work stopped while we listened to the announcement on the radio.
    Holy fuck - he scored a -24 on the lie detector!!?? Ugh. He's guilty as sin. That stupid ass shit eating grin on his face when his hand "wouldn't fit in the glove" made me want to bitch slap the prosecutors. ANYONE can make their hand not fit into a glove - how is that even a sound tactic!? I'm so aggravated that he got off. Man, the racial divide when this case was ongoing was big. My office listened to the verdict come down on the radio and there were seven of us sitting there - 2 black women, 2 white women, 1 white man and 2 black men - all sitting at our own cubes... When they said "we the jury find the defendant orenthal James Simpson not guilty of the crime of murder" the four black people jumped up and cheered and the white people shook our heads in disgust.
  • TaraC73 said:

Holy fuck - he scored a -24 on the lie detector!!?? Ugh. He's guilty as sin. That stupid ass shit eating grin on his face when his hand "wouldn't fit in the glove" made me want to bitch slap the prosecutors. ANYONE can make their hand not fit into a glove - how is that even a sound tactic!? I'm so aggravated that he got off. Man, the racial divide when this case was ongoing was big. My office listened to the verdict come down on the radio and there were seven of us sitting there - 2 black women, 2 white women, 1 white man and 2 black men - all sitting at our own cubes... When they said "we the jury find the defendant orenthal James Simpson not guilty of the crime of murder" the four black people jumped up and cheered and the white people shook our heads in disgust.

They did a great job setting the stage for that divide in the opening with the footage from the riots. I don't think that can be underestimated when trying to come up with the mind state of the people at that time in LA. Even today watching those events depicted from 1991 in say Straight Outta Compton and comparing it to Ferguson it's errie how much things haven't changed.
    TaraC73ElisaMichellehypergenesb
  • MichelleMichelle California
    In the middle of episode 2 now.   Episode 1 isn't on On Demand, so I'll have to track it down somewhere and watch it afterward.  From what I see though, I'm really impressed.  The acting is above par and I'm really happy with the casting choices.  Sarah Paulson couldn't make a better Marcia Clark.  Courtney B Vance, with the weight gain, looks almost spot on like Johnnie Cochran.   I'm on the fence with John Travolta but he's not so bad, I guess.  Those brows though.   lol     

This is really, really good.  Good job Ryan Murphy.
    ksa1001Elisa
    First and foremost: I loathe OJ, I'm firmly in the "he's guilty as hell" camp and nothing short of a snapshot of Nicole being killed by someone else will make me change my mind. BUT goddamn if Cuba's performance in last night's episode didn't make me feel pity for OJ and even made me choke up at the very end when he was getting out of the bronco to go into his house, and when he was talking to momma on the phone. BRAVO Cuba!!

I agree about Travolta's make up... It is very distracting. But he's doing a great job portraying the smarmy, self-involved Shapiro!!
    MichelleElisa
  • Watching the 2nd episode the other night, I think I nailed down the issue with John Travolta......his head is too big to really pull off the crazy hair and eyebrows without looking clownish.  The real Robert Shapiro has a small, round head and receding jaw. He looks intense but not like something out of a Mardi Gras parade like John T. does. :D
    TaraC73
  • aligal said:

Watching the 2nd episode the other night, I think I nailed down the issue with John Travolta......his head is too big to really pull off the crazy hair and eyebrows without looking clownish.  The real Robert Shapiro has a small, round head and receding jaw. He looks intense but not like something out of a Mardi Gras parade like John T. does. :D

Are you trying to say our John Travolta doesn't have a small and hidden chin!?
    TaraC73
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Just watched the first episode last night.  I came away impressed with the seriousness of the tone and the veneer of importance to it all.  I wasn't expecting that from a Ryan Murphy joint.

As for the racial stuff, decades and even centuries of losing can make one seem ungracious and short sighted in victory.  See; Boston professional football, baseball.  In a vacuum it's stupid, but it's also very understandably human.
    TaraC73ElisaMichelleDaveyMac
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    I'm firmly in the 'he's guilty' camp, and I've realised that knowing how this is going to end is just leaving me with a bad taste in my mouth after every episode.

And again with the stupid shots of the Kardashian kids chanting their own surname, not needed at all and so dumb! Completely jars the more serious tone of the show.
    MichelleAshley
  • amyja89 said:

And again with the stupid shots of the Kardashian kids chanting their own surname, not needed at all and so dumb! Completely jars the more serious tone of the show.
    I didn't mind so much the first time. More so, it was sort of a "ok, you're doing THAT, fine" but in the second episode I audibly said "did I just wander into a John Waters movie for a couple seconds?" It was so out of place and just dumb. At least if passed quickly.
    ksa1001TaraC73
  • Wait...so we DON'T chant our own names while watching TV?
    Travis