Is this the most insane movie ever made?

Roar (1981) 

I'm just going to copy and paste from imdb and post the youtube clips. I think its important to know this movie exists if you don't already.

During filming in 1977, Melanie Griffith was mauled by a lion and required plastic surgery. Griffith reportedly received fifty stitches to her face.

The lion attacks in Roar (1981) were real.

Cinematographer Jan de Bont was mauled and scalped by a lion on the set. de Bont required over 120 stitches to sew his scalp back from where a lion had bitten his head. After medical treatment, de Bont actually returned to the production to complete his D.O.P. duties.

During production, director/star Noel Marshall was attacked and severely injured by one of the lions in the film. He was hospitalized and it took him several years to completely recover from his injuries.

Assistant Director Doron Kauper was attacked and mauled by a lion during production filming of this picture. Kauper's throat was bitten open from whereupon the lion proceeded to bite his jaw and attempted to rip an ear off. Reportedly, this attack on Kauper almost cost him his life.

I feel like the lions, tigers and cheetahs were like " Man, these fucking monkeys are weird."
CecilyMichaelGksa1001manhattnikTheEconomist

Comments

• A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    What the fuck did I just see? How did this get greenlit? How many lawsuits and settlements were there?
    gjulleen
  • FernNYC17FernNYC17 New York, NY
    This is def a topic for the next lunch with J&A HA
    gjulleen
  • Yes, please talk about this on LWJ&A. 
    gjulleen
  • Some of those review quotes were hysterical. "Like watching a live action Lion King while Mufasa holds a switchblade to your thoat". 
    A_Ron_HubbardNikkiP
  • MichaelGMichaelG Seattle
    edited February 2016
    What. The Fuck.  Did they not.. How did they.. Wait. What?  WHAT?  

I used to think this was the most insane movie ever made: 

I need to see that movie. I hope there is a documentary somewhere that shows what the fuck was going on behind the scenes.  Like, did they just feed these cats a shit ton of food before shooting to ensure that humans would only be attacked if they provoked it? Why would an actor sign on to this? Why??  I have so many questions. 

ksa1001NikkiP
  • That movie seems pretty crazy. I would like to see that too.
  • Holy shit are we sure that's even real? Who would agree to working on that set and how did they convince them to do it? This needs a full behind the scenes documentary made about it. 
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I remember hearing about this a while back. Its so amazing someone was not full on killed.
  • I'm so amazed I've never heard of this. How insane an idea! Must. Watch. Now...
  • I officially can't wait for my lunch break.
  • I love how this thread has one post that demolishes the question in the title. :)
  • Can we add this to the list of group commissions?
    A_Ron_Hubbard
  • MichelleMichelle California
    What in the actual fuck???
    Ok first off, why the hell would you go live with deadly animals for any length of time if you had any common sense or the knowledge that they might want to eat your face off? Hello?!?!?????
    DancesWithWookies
  • Found this little nugget on the website:

No animals were hurt during the filming, but over 70 people were injured, including all cast members except Mativo. Not the animals fault, but the fault of the project. We’ve now learned that these are wild animals. If you do what the family did in the film, it’s not “if” you’ll get bitten, it’s “when”!

So...you didn't realize that before...or during making the movie?

Travis
  • That trailer is ridiculous. This made my night.
  • FernNYC17FernNYC17 New York, NY
    Listen to the 2/12 lunch for Jim and a.rons thoughts. Pretty funny
  • All of our ancient ancestors are pissed off at us for even watching this.

"We developed the wheel and discovered fire so you idiots could live with fucking lions and get eaten by tigers?"

Seriously, some ancestor who lived on a savanna, or in a jungle or something is making it so we'll trip over nothing tomorrow. This movie is going to lead to us all being haunted.
  • TheEconomistTheEconomist Chattanooga, TN
    Any human harmed in this project kind of deserves it.

It's one thing to mix wild animals and humans but different species of wild animals is even more egregious.

I was waiting for a crocodile to burst out of the water. Might as well go all out in the nutso department.
  • Surprised this thread got resurrected lol. 

I actually haven't seen it yet but really should.
  • I saw it a while back...it's fuckin bonkers.
  • @DancingWithWookies Yeah, I'm new to the forum and this was too funny not to comment.
  • @DancingWithWookies Yeah, I'm new to the forum and this was too funny not to comment.
  • broompersonbroomperson the Iron Islands
    holy shit
  • I think the full movie is on YouTube. It was not much of anything. I found it pretty convenient that when the family rode up to the house, all the animals were nowhere to be seen.
  • AjasAjas Seattle, WA
    I like that the trailer voice-over just consists of Phil Hartman saying the word "Roar" again and again.