Marco Polo-Netflix

The series "dropped" on Netflix yesterday. The early reviews are eh. They spent a ton of money. Has anyone checked it out? I want it to be good!

Comments

• Thanks for the heads up. I knew it was coming but not that it had arrived. I'm sure I'll give it a try soon.
  • I'm going to watch it. Every time I see the poster for it I think Alfie Allen is in it. The guy looks a lot like him in that photo.
  • The critical reviews are terrible but I'm going to watch a few eps and decide for myself. I've heard from a couple folks that the first ep is really slow, but they said episode two is better.
  • broompersonbroomperson the Iron Islands
    This shit is very hammy at times. I like the sets and the landscapes but Marco Polo's acting isnt very good and extremely bland. Not sure if I'll keep watching
  • First episode is TERRIBLE. I'm out.
  • hypergenesbhypergenesb Atlanta
    edited December 2014
    The reviews are brutal. Here's taste from Poniewozik:
    "Marco Polo, the lush drama set in the 13th-century court of Kublai Khan, feels less like precision targeting than a flurry of wildly fired arrows, the scattershot, overstuffed result of a “You Might Like…” algorithm run amok. If you like Game of Thrones, and historical drama, and pay-cable softcore, and martial arts movies (like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, whose sequel Netflix is also making)–and you want them crammed together, narrative sense be damned–you might like this gorgeous but ludicrous saga."
    http://uproxx.com/tv/2014/12/what-the-critics-are-saying-about-netflixs-marco-polo/
  • I am on the 4th episode. There are some good elements to it....buuuuuuttt.....it's pretty rough. The actor playing Marco Polo is
    inconsistent, the Khan's son is annoying as hell, there is a lot of nudity but not all of it makes sense and the writing does not produce a cohesive story. You can tell they spent a lot of money, but the elements aren't really coming together fluidly. Still entertaining and I applause Netflix for continuing to produce their own content.
  • JimJim
    edited December 2014
    Just watched the first couple episodes Monday night. It's just ok and I agree with @Singleton‌ about the guy playing Marco Polo.
  • I watched the first two episodes on Friday night and they were terrible. The narrative was muddled, the dialogue painful and oddly these 12th century Mongolians and the Italian were speaking perfect English with a British accent. It was boring and borderline painful to watch.
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    I feel like this was Netflix trying to make their own Game of Thrones....and it didn't have the writing to back it up.
  • This is a good show, actually. It's interesting and engaging. The history may not be terribly accurate but what they add they add for entertainment purposes (just like Marco Polo did in his books!). The acting is good enough and while it won't win any awards it is engaging entertainment and encourages you to make an investigation into what really happened and who these people really were.
  • The_SauceThe_Sauce Pleasant Prairie, WI
    Episode 1 was my first and last. ick.
  • I've made it 4-deep on this show, and the narrative is a mess. just tracking what is happening and understanding character motivations is very difficult.
This discussion has been closed.