Official Direct Thread - Edgar Wright - Epilogue (General Discussion)

Welp, our journey through Edgar Wright's films has come to a close. We laughed, we cried, we found out that the dark side shouldn't use light sabers. Consider this your wrap-up thread for Wright. How would you rank Edgar Wright's films? What are your favorite Wright-isms? Are you a red, blue, or green Cornetto person? Discuss! 

• HeffHeff Connecticut
    Shawn > Fuzz > End, as those are the only movies of the list that I've seen That's not to say that I think poorly of Hot Fuzz or The World's End at all, just that Shawn of the Dead was the first I saw, and the first of the three I'd save in a house fire.

I thoroughly enjoyed the entire series, and there were so many funny callbacks, setups, and physical humor gags throughout all three movies. Even simple things like Ed's 'Got Wood' tshirt in Shawn were amazing.

Never saw Scott Pilgrim, never read the comic/graphic novel, and don't know whether I ever will.
  • Before starting this series, I would've ranked them "Shaun of the Dead" > "Hot Fuzz"> "The World's End" > "Scott Pilgrim vs. The World."

Now I don't know. I'm tempted to put the entire Cornetto Trilogy on equal footing and I'd still put "Scott Pilgrim" last. In terms of pure enjoyment, I'd say "Hot Fuzz". "Shaun of the Dead" was the first one I saw, so I have the most affection for that one. Yet, each time I see "The World's End", my respect for it really grows. In many ways, I think "The World's End" is his most mature, thought-provoking film, once you really dig into it. 

My esteem for Scott Pilgrim also went up quite a bit this time around. There's so much going on underneath the surface that I just never got the first couple of times. Coincidentally, Edgar Wright just re-tweeted a "Scott Pilgrim" video analysis done by a fan, and there were some cool ideas in there that I hadn't really considered before. 

At the end of the day, though, these films are all so damned entertaining and I could easily put any one of them on right now and be totally absorbed. They are also a masterclass in film editing.

Thanks guys for this series! It was a ton of fun following along and being able to contribute.

• BourbonQueenBourbonQueen Dallas, TX
    edited February 2016
    I came into this series late and listened to Scott Pilgrim yesterday and will go back to listen to the others.

Scott Pilgrim is by far one of my favorite movies, and I wasn't much of a gamer at all in my youth (some arcade in the 80's and some Wolfenstein in the early 2000's).  So, a lot of the references to, say Zelda, had to be explained to me by my boyfriend, but I still enjoyed the movie as a whole, along with the soundtrack.  

One note, while I do think that it was quite interesting to equate the 7 Exes with the 7 deadly sins and can totally see the correlation, I always thought that it was 7 for the 7 levels in video games (especially Mario) with a hidden level 8 (which explains the ending). I recall playing Punch Out game in the arcade back in the 80's and the first opponent was always this scrawny fella that was super easy to beat.  It just took one or two big punches to knock him out.  So, that's what I equated the Matthew Patel (aka Level 1) to be...thus his minimal coin that barely covered bus fare. 
  • Wahl-eWahl-e Seattle
    edited February 2016
    For the record, here are our Edgar Wright rankings (#1 is our favorite):

1. Scott Pilgrim
    2. The World's End
    3. Shaun of the Dead
    4. Hot Fuzz
    1. The World's End
    2. Hot Fuzz
    3. Scott Pilgrim
    4. Shaun of the Dead
  • I love that you guys have decided to expand the list and go more diverse. Alfonso Cuaron would be great. He's got such a diverse range films, in two different languages. I also liked your suggestion of Bong Joon Ho, though he's only got five features to his credit, so it may be a short. Miyazaki would be fantastic, too, especially as he's basically said he's done making features, though, I know he's gone back on that in the past. 

Anyway, I am very excited to see the survey and vote once you guys have narrowed it down.
  • @Wahl-e Your description of Kevin Spacey's face cracked me up.
  • Another awesome video essay on Wright. 

• I saw him tweet this today. Good stuff!