A Rick and Morty Testamony (Come One, Come All, Keep Summer Safe)

Hello Fellow Bald Movers,

I am here to talk about Adult Swim's Rick and Morty, a show who just finished its 2nd season not to long ago. I have to admit I made no effort to watch this show, regardless of its faint praise here and there. Like Jim I felt burnt out by the sheer volume of "adult cartoons" between Family Guy, Futurama, Simpsons, Archer and the list goes on. To be honest, it wasnt until Bald Move gave Best Comedy of 2015 to Rick and Morty did I even raise an eye brow. I am so glad that it did. 
Rick and Morty changes the way you think about reality. Following around this intensely crafty grandfather and his reluctant grandson Morty is a hell of a ride and Morty is a good stand in for the audience, often reacting like we would in those situations.  It play around and bring to light almost every "human" problem known to man, but somehow does it in a way that doesn't MAKE light of the situations. Themes of Slavery, Race, Religion, Free Will, Absolute Power and even mind control are apparent in this season. And theres also an episode where they think a teach is a vampire but I digress.
So why does it work? In my opinion I have been blown away by the level of commitment of the themes and seeing them through as opposed to not touching hot subjects or "yadda yadda"ing through them . As many times I laughed out loud while watching this, I sat in a stunned silence at some of the shows REALEST moments. This show definitely gets real more times than you think, leaving you to wonder what its end game is. Was rick and Morty sent here to get us to laugh at the ballsacks placed everywhere in the background, or for a higher purpose of understanding the very human characters in the foreground? We may never know. One thing is for damn certain....If you want your expectations to be blown away, into a distant sun and be incinerated upon impact then PLEASE give this show a try. I have given this impassioned speech to all of my friends who would now are avid fans of the show. I hope some of you give this a try but cause I would love to discuss some of the bigger questions asked in the past.

Peace Among Worlds

Now SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT! 
A_Ron_Hubbardksa1001adobo1148

Comments

• FernNYC17FernNYC17 New York, NY
    i was in the same boat. I didn't know about the show till Jim and A.Ron started talking about it and then gave it best comedy. i then binge watched the 2 seasons and was blown away. since i have seen some episode at least 4 or 5 times over. it's a great comedy and my friends and i have had ton of discussions following an episode asking about micro universes, alternate dimensions etc.  and as you said it has a lot of Real moments. i cant wait for season 3 especially with the cliff hanger they left off on.
    GeorgeS
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Yeah, it's both so quotable and funny (Morty's "get your shit together" spiel to Summer gets constant use at my house) and has such profound insights into everything from bigotry to bad marriages and child rearing.  

Whenever I'm having a bad day of late, I play the stinger clip of Rick and Summer getting pumped and then beating the shit out of the devil, a skin head, a bully, Westboro baptists, etc.  It's really a feel good moment.  

Really glad more people are getting on board with it.
    The Quote we use around the house is "Show me what you got!!!" 
  • wubba lubba dub dub
    Oh yeah, "show me what you got" gets play too.  The other classic is "oooooh, he's trying!" from the Meeseeks episode, anytime someone is struggling with something.  
    Jovial_FalconCecily
  • What's your favorite musical number?

Get Swifty
    Tiny Ricks Song
    Goodbye Moonmen
    It feels Good (Purge Episode)
    Get Schwifty, and it's not even close.  
  • I too had zero interest in this show until it's comedy of the year rating from the podcast.

I put them on in the background, but the first thing that caught my attention (and cracked me the fuck up) was Scary Terry from the 2nd episode. I sooo grew up on Nightmare on Elm Street movies and they used that to great effect. From then on I was in w/o any distractions. I can't stress how creative and hilarious this show is and I'm crushed at the idea of having to wait for more after my binge. I keep letting others know about it as often as possible.

Favorite Episodes:
    Lawnmower Dog
    Meeseeks and Destroy
    A Rickle in Time
    Look Who's Purging Now

"I’m a bit of a stickler Meeseeks. What about your short game?"

• Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    And we won't be getting any new ones until Spring of 2017 from everything I've read. Argh.
  • I think Total Rickall was my favorite. I think it had the best story idea, and I just loved how the new characters got more and more preposterous. I mean, Mr Poopybutthole was probably the least crazy of the new group. If I had a sister, I bet I would constantly quote the line "She's real. She's my bitch of a sister" a lot.  
    A_Ron_Hubbard
  • In the Walking Dead preview cast Aron made a joke about making a Muppet Babies version of the show, and all I could think was "Tiny Rick!!!"
    A_Ron_HubbardCecily
  • Scary Terry, bitch!
  • So on Monday I was watching WWE Monday Night Raw and there was a "Get Swifty" sign front row. My night was made....but I have questions...

What has become of Evil Morty? Will he kill more Ricks? How does Rick have memories of Baby Morty if he was gone for 20 years?
    Jovial_Falcon
    I'm much less interested in the evil Rick than I am in the evil Morty.  That guy has shit going on.
  • TonyTony Harrisburg,Pa.
    This JANuary get ready to Michael down your Vincents.
  • there's not enough vincents for every quadrant! he can't be in two quadrants at once. 
  • “It’s in theatres now. Coming this summer: two brothers in a van and then a meteor hits, and they ran as fast as they could ....from giant cat monsters and then a giant tornado came and that’s when things got knocked into 12th gear. A Mexican armada shows up with weapons made from tomatoes. And you better bet your bottom dollar that these two brothers know how to handle business. In: ALIEN INVASION TOMATO MONSTER MEXICAN ARMADA BROTHERS WHO ARE JUST REGULAR BROTHERS RUNNING IN A VAN FROM AN ASTEROID AND ALL SORTS OF THINGS THE MOVIE. Hold on, these’s more. Old women are comin’ and they’re also in the movie and they’re gonna come and cross attack these two brothers, but let’s get back to the brothers because they’re, they have a strong bond. You don’t want to know about it here, but I’ll tell you one thing: the moon, it comes crashing into earth and what do you do then? it’s two brothers and it…and..and they’re gonna…it’s called TWO BROTHERS. Two brothers…
    HatorianDummyksa1001
  • Which episode was the one that made you change your mind about the series? To me it was "Meeseeks and Destroy" I enjoyed all the episodes but that one is the one that hooked me.
    ksa1001
    I remember Meeseeks as being an early standout, but honestly I background watched the first half of the first episode (I was initially very turned off by Rick and his vomit/drool mouth and constant belching), and by the end where Marty was getting g hypersensitivity shoved up his ass and murdering the 'robot' guards, I was laughing so hard I had to rewind it to beginning and watch again.

But I think Meeseeks is where I was first impressed with them taking a high concept sci-fi concept, like a sentient wishing box, something that would be right at home in a Ray Bradbury collection, and play with the concept in a way that was both hilarious and consciousness expanding.
    Dummy
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    I'm not sure why but  - "meeseeks don't fumble around looking for meaning jerry!"- cracks me up every time.
    CecilyDummy
  • Meeseeks was the second one I loved (Scary Terry being the first) and part of what I like about it is the focus on the family. The titular pair are relegated to a B plot, while the meeseeks and family take center stage.
  • JamesJames southern California
    I can't remember what convinced me to watch the show -- it may have been Jim & Aron, it may have been Sepinwall. I ended up binging season 1 in the week before season 2 premiered, which was great because I got to see Rick freeze time at the end of S1 and unfreeze it within 24 hours.

The moment when it became must-watch? Hard to say, but I know it was hard to take a break from watching after Lawnmower Dog. Then John Oliver and David Cross guest voices in E3 and E4? Wow...

It's not a hilarious moment, but the show became extra special to watch in this exchange between Morty and Summer in Rixty Minutes:

M: See that spot in the back yard? That's my grave out there.
    S: Wait. What?
    M: On one of our adventures, Rick and I destroyed the whole world. So, we bailed on that reality and came to this one, because in this reality the world wasn't destroyed and in this one, both of us died in an explosion. So we came here and we-- we buried ourselves in the back yard and took their place. And every morning, Summer, I eat breakfast twenty yards from my rotting corpse.
    S: So you're not my brother?
    M: I'm better than your brother. I'm a version of your brother you can trust when he says, "Don't run." Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's gonna die. Now, come watch TV.

Wow. Just, wow...
    DummyA_Ron_HubbardGeorgeS
  • The ending of Rick Potion #9 made my jaw drop. They always surprise me with the level of pathos they can present in a cartoon. I always think they are going one way and then BAM we are at Blitz and Chitz and I cant find my portal gun.
  • AjasAjas Seattle, WA
    Episode 2, when Scruffles outfitted himself with a mechwarrior suit and woke Summer up:

"Where are my testicles, Summer?"
  • Anyone know why Adult Swim only has about half the seasons on their website?  
    edited February 2016
    Probably some sort of unholy licensing deal with the cable companies and their direct services and whatever they got going on with iTunes, Hulu, Google Play, and Amazon.
  • KEEP JIM and A RON SAFE.........
  • The interplanetary American Idol was hilarious as well. Something about huge floating judgemental heads man.
    "SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT!"
    GeorgeS