Deadpool (Spoilers)

Just finished and listening to the cast. Solid movie. The baby hand was great. Comedy and action were equally good. Definitely happy to get a hard R superhero movie.

Comments

• TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    edited February 2016
    My husband went last night. Took my (mature) 13 year old to see it. Before I catch a rash of shit about letting him see it, let me say I have no blinders over my eyes as far as what he knows/sees/hears/says. He's respectful to everyone, adults and other kids, and "properly" reserves his potty mouth for the locker room and hanging with his friends.

I asked hubby how was the movie? He said it was great - he told me about the unicorn and the baby hand and even I was doubled over laughing. I asked him if our son 'got it' all and he said that he thinks some of it even went over his head (hubby was laughing, son not at all) but as a whole they both enjoyed it.

My husband said the same thing about finally getting an "adult" superhero movie. I will watch it when it makes it to blu Ray (or otherwise onto my computer)
  • Yea. I definitely understand the R rating but I was watching things like Saving Private Ryan around that age. It's more about the parents influence than what they see. If the parents can make sure the teenager understands what he is seeing then I don't see any issue with that age seeing the movie.
    TaraC73
    100% agree, Hatorian.
  • I had low expectations yet was still pretty disappointed, I thought it was pretty bad bordering awful. It was way, way too cute and the hyper self-awareness was just too over the top. 

There were some pretty funny lines here and there but so much more that just wasn't funny. "Did I leave the oven on?" Are you fucking kidding me? What the fuck is next, "and what's the deal with airplane food?!" or some shit? It would not have surprised me. 

I wouldn't have been surprised if Wes Anderson directed this given how insufferably in love with itself it is. "We're breaking the fourth wall in layers! We mention the studio not wanting to pay for other X-men characters! We are just so meta-fabulous!" When the writers thought of that they would've surely detached a retina with their whip-lashing scarves while reaching to pat their own backs if their thick-framed hipster glasses weren't there to protect them.

Seriously though I'm curious if all of you that liked it would like as much after a second viewing, I suspect not. I don't think time will be particularly kind to this movie.

• Haven't seen it yet, but breaking the 4th wall is Deadpool's thing. That is honestly one of the things I'm looking forward to. 
    TaraC73Jovial_Falcon
  • @ghm3

I agree some of the jokes like the oven were a bit lame but I think a lot of your other criticisms are just against who Deadpool is as a character. I.e. 4th wall, sucking its own dick, jokes about the movie, etc. And if you didn't like those things then it's more likely not your style rather than a bad movie. I can see where the movie can be a bit too much and I would probably tire of it after a few viewings. This style comedy doesn't lend itself to multiple viewings given how in your face it is. But I would disagree it's a bad movie.
  • @Hatorian That's the thing, I like those things in movies just fine, but I think pretty much all if it was just way overdone. Breaking the fourth wall a few times is fine. This movie did it what, six times or more? While directly talking about doing it of course, because meta! 

And yeah I get that Deadpool is supposed to be like that, my problem isn't with any of those being present, but that it all seemed too over the top or overdone. If they cranked it all down a bit, and left half the jokes scratched out on notepads where they belong instead of somehow making it into the script, I think it could have been great. The whole time watching I kept wanting to like what I was seeing but something was just always off to me. 
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    TaraC73 said:

My husband went last night. Took my (mature) 13 year old to see it. Before I catch a rash of shit about letting him see it, let me say I have no blinders over my eyes as far as what he knows/sees/hears/says. He's respectful to everyone, adults and other kids, and "properly" reserves his potty mouth for the locker room and hanging with his friends.

You don't have to defend letting a 13 year old see an R movie accompanied by and adult! Haha, I wouldn't even care if you dropped him off and said have fun.
    Hatorian

TaraC73 said:

You don't have to defend letting a 13 year old see an R movie accompanied by and adult! Haha, I wouldn't even care if you dropped him off and said have fun.
    I know, I know. He's my first and I still have a hard time not giving a shit what others think/feel about things I let him do/don't do. Which is odd because IRL I don't give a shit what others think about my parenting. But maybe that's because IRL people actually know me versus online people only know what I show them. Make sense?

Anyway, we tried listening to the full deadpool cast this morning on our long cold trek to the hockey rink but it kept shitting the bed (resetting after the "free cast" 17 minutes was over); so we're gonna try again tomorrow!
  • I saw it yesterday and with my best friend and we loved it.  The theatre was packed and people we clapping and cheering at certain parts and we all had a great time.  I loved the breaking of the fourth wall.  I've never seen a movie like this before and it seems to be a very new concept so I can understand why some people may not like it.

I hope Deadpool makes an appearance in Avengers and XMen movies in the future cause some of those movies can take things way too seriously and he's a great character to break things down and just have fun with.

• amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    TaraC73 said:

I asked hubby how was the movie? He said it was great - he told me about the unicorn and the baby hand and even I was doubled over laughing. I asked him if our son 'got it' all and he said that he thinks some of it even went over his head (hubby was laughing, son not at all) but as a whole they both enjoyed it.

My husband said the same thing about finally getting an "adult" superhero movie. I will watch it when it makes it to blu Ray (or otherwise onto my computer)

You do you, and don't let anybody tell you how you should parent your child!

The first movie I remember my mum ever showing me was The Rocky Horror Picture Show, and I'm pretty sure I'd seen everything from The Silence Of The Lambs to Straw Dogs to A Clockwork Orange before I was 12. And hey, I turned out just fine (depending on who you ask :-P).

The whole concept of ratings and not allowing children to be exposed to certain content is bullshit in my opinion. I never went around school cursing at teachers or being inappropriate because I'd seen it in a movie, I knew what was real life and what was entertainment, just like your son!

As for Deadpool, I liked it a lot. Considering the only other Marvel movies I've ever seen are Guardians Of The Galaxy and Ant-Man, I clearly have a penchant for the quirkier, less traditional side of the universe! The scene where he was wrecking himself trying to beat up Colossus had me in stitches!

TaraC73
  • jluzaniajluzania Denver
    edited February 2016
    Movie was great. I'm not even into the character that much and I still had a fantastic time. Just perfectly executed all around. 

Nice review on the cast, too, but I did want to clarify the whole rights situation for Jim and A.Ron (Possible SPOILERS for Civil War if you've been avoiding everything).

Disney has the main MCU. That one's obvious enough.

Fox has the X-Men/Fantastic Four side. Since First Class came out, they've had a pretty solid run on the X-Men side of things (First Class, The Wolverine, Days of Future Past, now Deadpool). Gives me hope for Apocalypse. Not so well with the Fanastic Four. Makes me wonder how long they'll wait before they try that property again.

Sony has Spider-Man and are responsible for the two Amazings. Since that didn't work out, they came to the agreement with Disney that allows Spider-Man to show up in Civil War and I'm assuming future MCU movies. Sony will also be releasing a standalone Spider-Man movie that will be part of the MCU.

That's so far as I understand things.
    TaraC73Frakkin T
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    edited February 2016
    Hey guys I made a YouTube video called "Things to Do Instead Of Going To See Deadpool--you could watch it maybe, if you want but no pressure?

ghm3
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Triangle is an absolutely stellar film
    Frakkin T
  • GeorgeGeorge Astoria, New York
    Loved the movie.

I went with my girlfriend. She said she loved the action, but wasn't a huge fan of Ryan Reynolds being super cutesy with all the talking. I can completely get that. It's sort of the same reaction people had to Watchmen in that some people went into it ecpecting something other than what they got.

The 'charm', and I use that word very lightly, is that hes a lovable annoying asshat. His whole purpose is to be over the top with things. The 4th wall breaking, Blind Al etc.

Also, good video @Frakkin T. Plan on checking out Triangle based on the recommendations.
    Frakkin T
  • GeorgeGeorge Astoria, New York
    Sidenote, Blind Al reminds me so much of Madame Webb. I think the only things they have in common is that their old and blind lol. All the Spiderman parallels make so much sense now knowing the background of the Deadpool.
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    Thanks @George !