Started watching The Wire

So,,, I started watching The Wire. It's one of those shows that gets references so often, I knew it would be worth my time. 

Spoilers season one******

Well damn.I  saw it coming then bang Wallace was shot. There are few times that a character death really makes me feel more then temporary disappointment.  This one really made me sad.What drove me crazy was I could sense it coming so I kept stopping then restarting the episode. I felt like I could stop it it by not seeing it...but I want to see what happens...then not want  to see. What an emotional roller coaster. Guess it's really good writing that creates those moments.

Thanks for recommending it.

DaveyMac

Comments

• amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    Welcome to the house of fun my friend!

My favourite season of The Wire changes with whatever mood I'm in, and right now I'm in a Season 4 kind of mood. If the youngsters in S1 pulled you in then S4 should be a good one for you as well.
    DaveyMacmmmlemoncakes[Deleted User]
  • Yeah that Wallace moment is heartbreaking and still gets me each time I watch the series. And it always lingers a few days later. I also love that part of the experience is the inevitability of it. They are not trying to shock you with a surprise death or throw in a twist or anything. It is very well telegraphed and it creates a sense of dread where you know it's coming and you still aren't ready for it, even though you know what's about to happen. 

I hope you enjoy the rest of series. It's hands down one of best, most thought-provoking, and devastating experiences I've ever had with a tv show. And it's also damn entertaining and can be very funny at times. 
    mmmlemoncakes
  • JamesJames southern California
    edited February 2016
    Not just the death of this confused kid whose life to that point had consisted of nothing but bad and worse choices, but that his life was ultimately taken by two other kids (in The Game, the closest we get to innocents) who were his only friends.
    DaveyMacmmmlemoncakes
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    The worst part about The Wire is you only get to watch it for the first time once.

Enjoy. It's the best. It really is.
    manhattnikDaveyMac
  • Welcome to the David Simon Gravy Train!!
  • and to think he could have grown up to be a championship boxer. #WheresWallaceString
    James
  • Yo String...!!!!

My favorite series of all time.

I've watched it through 3 times. I do it once a year since I discovered it.
    MichaelGDaveyMacCory
  • I always thought if I ever started my own podcast, I'd do it on The Wire. I love everything about it.
    Cory
  • DrKen said:

I always thought if I ever started my own podcast, I'd do it on The Wire. I love everything about it.

Do it. I haven't found one that I enjoy yet. I guess I haven't looked too hard. 
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited February 2016
    DrKen said:

I always thought if I ever started my own podcast, I'd do it on The Wire. I love everything about it.

Judging from your posts in the LWJ&A q&a feed, I can only imagine how dark and hilarious that would be. Hollar at me if you need a co-host. I could be the Bunk to your McNutty.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I'd gladly make a guest appearance or three. Wallace getting shot was sad, but underrated gut Punch was the moment he got high for the first time. Just knowing that he was so responsible for all those other little kids, and now he's perpetuating the cycle, and then his best friends have to take him out, Jesus Christ, it's too real.
    DaveyMacJamesFreddymmmlemoncakes
  • I always thought if I ever started my own podcast, I'd do it on The Wire. I love everything about it.
    Freddy said:

DrKen said:

Judging from your posts in the LWJ&A q&a feed, I can only imagine how dark and hilarious that would be. Hollar at me if you need a co-host. I could be the Bunk to your McNutty.

Wow. I always felt like I was humorous and light-hearted.

If that's dark, on a Wire podcast, that could be the most depressing podcast of all time.
  • DrKen said:

Freddy said:

DrKen said:

Wow. I always felt like I was humorous and light-hearted.

If that's dark, on a Wire podcast, that could be the most depressing podcast of all time.

Which isn't to say I'm not down for it.
  • This is such a great show! Enjoy! :)
  • The Wire is indeed dark and depressing, but so much more toe-tapping as a musical!

brewsevelt
  • Well damn.I  saw it coming then bang Wallace was shot. There are few times that a character death really makes me feel more then temporary disappointment.  This one really made me sad.What drove me crazy was I could sense it coming so I kept stopping then restarting the episode. I felt like I could stop it it by not seeing it...but I want to see what happens...then not want  to see. What an emotional roller coaster. Guess it's really good writing that creates those moments.

There are times when watching a show and I see something coming, I'll actually partially cover my eyes with my hands (although, I'll have my fingers spread just a little so I can still make sure I don't miss something or there isn't a surprise that I miss) when there's something I don't want to see.

As for Wallace, there's an even better scene (in my opinion, or at least emotional scene) where someone an episode or 2 later referring to Wallace's fate.  Additionally, once Wallace was killed, I was like "ok, game on, I guess everyone is fair game on this show".  And that's what you need to know about a David Simon show, no one is ever safe.

Enjoy the series!

• Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    Season 3 episode 11 :(
  • The penultimate episodes of seasons 2 and 4 are a couple of my personal favorites.
This discussion has been closed.