IDEA: Bald Move Premium Free for Members that have posted and/or commented x500/1000 ?

To get right to it ....

Just another idea to float out there to ARon & Jim, maybe
consider giving away premium for free to users that have over x number
of posts or comments as a way of giving back to your biggest fans as
sort of a way of reinvesting in strengthening the community. Yes right
now the forum is primarily people who listen to your casts and then
found out about the forums, but I would not be too surprised if
nurturing and strengthening the forum community lead to the forum being a
source of new listeners with time.

My reasoning for why you might consider such a thing

I know from my own projects that the more involved you make people feel, the more people feel they are a part of something and contributing the more likely they are to stick around. I also know the best way to bring in more people into a social network or forum is....well having alot of people. Everyone knows power users are valuable assets, the more of them you have and keep around, the more alive and engaged the community feels, the more likely it is to hook in people trying it for the first time.

I know that 80% of you out there are going to scoff at this and say "who really can not afford 2-3 bucks a month" if they are power users around here, but I would bet that there are at least a handful of power users around here who are not premium members due to friction involving payment, they are from another country making it complicated to pay for it, they have bad credit and dont deal with credit cards or banks, they really are just broke, they fear having reoccurring charges on their debit, they are not convinced transactions on the site are secure, there is nothing they desire to hear bad enough that they see value in paying, there just flat out cheap....when you offer a reoccurring online service via a freemium model you would be surprised of the answers you get from people when you start interviewing some of them.

Comments

• It's $12 a year. C'mon man.
    GredalBeehypergenesbMichelleMurderbearDeeamyja89TravismanhattnikFreddySpaceDoctorand 1 other.
  • Even though I am dead broke at the moment and truly can't afford a membership, I don't think this is a very good idea. I feel like this would really water down the quality here. Right now, I love all the meaningful discussion that is going on here, even if it's a relatively small circle. But if people got wind of this, they would come here just focusing on churning out the comments and writing meaningless, superficial stuff. Not saying this is all academic discussion now, but I think people would just write stuff for the sake of quantity. Like when blogs do giveaways and their comment section is flooded with hundreds of posts simply saying "so cool" or "would love to win" etc. Talking but not really saying anything.
    Cory
  • Me & a friend started a social network, released it, got a good number of users, got some feedback from power users and then built a v2.0 for our power users. We released the 2.0 and were very excited to get feedback from the same users that gave us the feedback from 2.0, but we noticed that about 20-30% of our power users stopped using the app completely after the update.... we tried to message them and find out why or what happened and got odd answers like "I just have not had time" , "my iphone is broke" ect....2 months down the road one user finally came around and was honest with us. They told us that they wanted to use our app, but bc we made it so that you had to update to 2.0 to continue using it and in order to update your apps you have to have a valid credit card with money on it on file with Apple they were rendered unable to use the app until they went out to purchase a prepaid credit card, activated it, put it on file and then updated.

....if that can prevent users on a free app with only a few 1000 users at the time, do you really doubt similar scenarios existing when talking about 100's of thousands of listeners? I agree, these are not majority listener scenarios, but its just a idea. If someone is active enough that they have commented/posted on 500 threads and they dont have premium why would you not want to give it to those people at that point. They are providing far more value to the bald move community than $12 at that point.
  • edited February 2016
    Based on this guy's post history, I think we're witnessing the Bald Move equivalent of Ginsberg from Mad Men.  The ideas and pitches keep coming until finally he suggests free nipples will increase traffic.
    MichelleMurderbear
  • GredalBee said:

Based on this guy's post history, I think we're witnessing the Bald Move equivalent of Ginsberg from Mad Men.  The ideas and pitches keep coming until finally he suggests free nipples will increase traffic.

Or an underpants gnome.
  • What is this high school? Are you really trying to troll someone passionate and interested in Bald Move from taking time to think about Bald Move, come up with ways to improve it/take it to the next level?  I harbor no delusions of all of my ideas being great. Like anyone or anything, musicians, actors, athletes, entrepreneurs....they try alot, take alot of shots, some of them suck, others are okay, some are good and a few are great.

Id rather be someone trying to contribute ideas and suggestions and fall on my face 100 times vs. being a critic troll trying to deter people from trying.
  • @Reni ; idt anyone could fake 500 posts just for the sake of getting something for $2 for free....its to far out there and too much of a commitment for anyone besides the truly loyal and good natured power users to accomplish.

Also the idea of  "Even though I am dead broke at the moment and truly can't afford a
    membership, I don't think this is a very good idea. I feel like this
    would really water down the quality here. Right now, I love all the
    meaningful discussion that is going on here, even if it's a relatively
    small circle."

is not sustainable or ideal for any business and does not align with their goals regardless of this idea being good or not....Bald Move is going to grow, I dont for see A&J deciding to stop growing their userbase just for the sake of ppl liking the small town vibe, but you can keep the same values and quality of discussion while still growing. The morals, vibes, discussion quality and rules will always steam from the top and the precedent A&J set... There is a reason Apple embodies alot of Steve Jobs personality despite having a reach far beyond anything Steve Jobs could of personally supervised or had direct influence over.
    AManIsNoOne
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    Why is this even a discussion we are having? If you have ideas to share with the boys, send them privately via email. None us of hold any sway over what Jim and A.Ron are going to do with their business. If they are thinking of doing something and want our input, they will ask us. Until then, I am not interested in weighing in on hypothetical ideas another fan has on how BM should be run.
    ReniMichelleDeeTaraC73CorymanhattnikDaveyMac
  • What is this high school? Are you really trying to troll someone passionate and interested in Bald Move from taking time to think about Bald Move, come up with ways to improve it/take it to the next level?  I harbor no delusions of all of my ideas being great. Like anyone or anything, musicians, actors, athletes, entrepreneurs....they try alot, take alot of shots, some of them suck, others are okay, some are good and a few are great.

Id rather be someone trying to contribute ideas and suggestions and fall on my face 100 times vs. being a critic troll trying to deter people from trying.

I think you have a valid point here, but you should realize that your ideas aren't in a vacuum. If people get tired of seeing bad idea after bad idea, they probably will let you know about it and not in the way you want to hear it. 
    GredalBeeDee
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited February 2016
    Frakkin T said:

Why is this even a discussion we are having? If you have ideas to share with the boys, send them privately via email. None us of hold any sway over what Jim and A.Ron are going to do with their business. If they are thinking of doing something and want our input, they will ask us. Until then, I am not interested in weighing in on hypothetical ideas another fan has on how BM should be run.

Not only that, but A Ron had already specifically asked this guy to hold these idea-pitch conversations with them in private. I guess that suggestion didn't take.
  • I didn't mean to come off as a troll but most of the podcasts I listen to constantly beg for memberships of $5-10 a month whereas J&A not only don't they offer excellent content for $1 a month. So I just can't see why they would or should change. If anything, they should be charging more.
  • MichelleMichelle California

I didn't mean to come off as a troll but most of the podcasts I listen to constantly beg for memberships of $5-10 a month whereas J&A not only don't they offer excellent content for $1 a month. So I just can't see why they would or should change. If anything, they should be charging more.

There is always the option for someone to pay more than $1 per month. I canceled my original membership, then created a new one with the higher amount that I wanted to pay per month. These guys deserve it, and then some.

• DeeDee Adelaide
    They make their living from this. You can't eat comments.
    Michellehypergenesbmanhattnik
  • edited February 2016

What is this high school? Are you really trying to troll someone passionate and interested in Bald Move from taking time to think about Bald Move, come up with ways to improve it/take it to the next level?  I harbor no delusions of all of my ideas being great. Like anyone or anything, musicians, actors, athletes, entrepreneurs....they try alot, take alot of shots, some of them suck, others are okay, some are good and a few are great.

No one is trolling you. People take issue with your posts not because your ideas are bad (though there is certainly an underpants gnome theme going on), but because of your consistent tone. You don't have technical issues, you have "a user experience from hell." You don't suggest another idea for a podcast because you'd like to hear their take, but because "they are having trouble pulling together enough topics" (though they put out more content in a week than any other similar crew). You don't offer to help out with an app, you threaten to create one and keep half the income. You can't seem to make a suggestion without hyperbolically crapping on them at the same time. And then when you get any pushback, you flip out with how successful you are, how unfair it is that everyone is criticizing you, etc. If you really are the professional you claim to be, you'd have followed A.Ron's request to discuss it in private with him. And instead you come here to post about how people must not be signing up because they don't think the site is secure.
    FernNYC17DeeTaraC73manhattnikDaveyMac
  • @ChuckKelly If you all but guarantee that Bald Move is going to grow, that obviously also means more club members for them, I really don't see the benefit of upgrading regular members for free...
    When I said I liked the smaller community vibe I meant the forums, and even though I don't have any statistic, I would bet that only a small percentage of listeners also uses the BM forum. To say that this is "not sustainable" is silly. And to say "this does not align with their goals" - how do you exactly know what their goals are? You joined the forum a mere week ago so I don't know how long you've been listening to their podcasts, but I've never heard them say they wanted to build a podcast empire. To compare them to Apple and Steve Jobs is ridiculous. They're just two guys who love what they do and who make their own rules. Why are you barging in with all this unsolicited advice like you want to transform their whole business?

This isn't high school and noone is bullying you, but if you can't take a joke then perhaps you are in the wrong community. I agree with everyone else that you should have taken this to Jim and A.Ron privately.
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    Dollar a month dude. 100 pennies a month.
    gjulleen
  • I think this a case where by engaging in the argument you've already lost.

I'd say as the idea's continue thick & fast, ignore them unless you agree with them, the aim of these is to get a reaction, don't think there is much concern for that being a good or bad one
  • HeffHeff Connecticut
    I love the fact that you claim to be a huge fan of J&A while simultaneously using the opportunity to wave any perceived self-importance around like it makes you someone we should be taking serious advice from, and going so far as to propose schemes which would make YOU money or take money out of their pockets.

Nobody here is particularly interested in the thinly-veiled ideas that you're peddling, in case it wasn't clear.
  • Curse you @Heff , you've caught me again....my dastardly idea for Bald Move reinvesting in their most loyal and contributing members(which would not benefit me since I already pay and am no where close to 500 posts )  If It was not for you meddling kids I would of gotten away with it!

I get the feeling if I started making food donations to the homeless you & the tin foil hat brigade would equate it to a thinly veiled plan to plum up the unfortunate causing them to have to buy health insurance to pay for diabetes treatment.

As far as taking things directly to A&J , point taken and agree....consider this thread closed. Feedback received.
    TaraC73
  • HeffHeff Connecticut

Curse you @Heff , you've caught me again....my dastardly idea for Bald Move reinvesting in their most loyal and contributing members(which would not benefit me since I already pay and am no where close to 500 posts )  If It was not for you meddling kids I would of gotten away with it!

I get the feeling if I started making food donations to the homeless you & the tin foil hat brigade would equate it to a thinly veiled plan to plum up the unfortunate causing them to have to buy health insurance to pay for diabetes treatment.

This is what I'm talking about with regards to your posts. You stated in the OP that 80% of us wouldn't like it, but HOW DARE we actually say that we don't like it! Nothing I listed in my post was made up or exaggerated - every word of it was taken from something you took the time to write in the first place.

Feel free to explain to me how giving out free Premium memberships wouldn't take money out of J&A's pockets, regardless of whether you would benefit from it yourself or not. I'm not an accountant, but I don't see that being an actual benefit for them. Nobody wants to stop a fan from contributing worthwhile ideas, but the ones you've posted have been poorly received all around because of both the ideas and the way you post them and react to criticism.
  • a dollar a month is a crime.  They should be charging more than that but I understand where they are coming from.  Both Jim & Aaron hate to "ask for money" you can hear it in their voices when they have to do their advertisements.  They are getting better at it but they need to make something here, they are doing it full time!  

To be honest I really don't understand how they are surviving off of just $1 premium subscribers, amazon, and commissioned podcasts.  Just some advice to the original poster, if I were you I would scrounge up $12 now and subscribe because if I were Jim & Aaron I would be raising my price in the near future.
  • MichaelGMichaelG Seattle
    edited February 2016
    Just email them with your suggestions, man. Personally, I appreciate that you want to contribute and put your ideas out there for the community to discuss or support. But, from a purely practical point of view, I think your tactic of spamming the board with unsolicited pitches is getting tired and counterproductive toward your goal. That said, if you're gonna keep doing it, maybe start a single thread dedicated to your pitches, rather than make a new one every time?  Maybe that's a solid compromise. 

I think the rest of the board should just let these threads die if you don't support the idea, rather than continuously bumping it and fueling an ugly internet situation.  Says the guy who's posting on such a thread... so, yea.  Last time I'm doing this. 

Travis
  • I'm not going to crucify you for this. I get the idea of someone being deeply engaged becoming a great advocate, but I do believe that the BM price point is far more than fair. It's literally less than a small coffee a month at your local coffee shop to receive the fruits of so much labor and thought. I think they have more than earned all of their subscription fees and then some. I'm not saying that I am not sorry for people who miss out because they legitimately cannot afford it (which I am certain that there are some) but they deliver so much and I think their price point is beyond inclusive.

I also agree with Frakkin T too though. This is not something for the forums. I'm sorry that you're kind of getting killed in here, but this is honestly something to speak to Jim and A.Ron about directly.

MichaelG
  • This forum can turn into FB real quick sometimes. Generally speaking people should hold on comments if they can't find a respectful way to present them. Really sucks seeing people being rude sometimes. Again, I am speaking in general and not pointing at anybody in this thread or any member of this forum.
  • Michelle said:

I didn't mean to come off as a troll but most of the podcasts I listen to constantly beg for memberships of $5-10 a month whereas J&A not only don't they offer excellent content for $1 a month. So I just can't see why they would or should change. If anything, they should be charging more.

There is always the option for someone to pay more than $1 per month. I canceled my original membership, then created a new one with the higher amount that I wanted to pay per month. These guys deserve it, and then some.

I am considering this. Is this the best way to approach it? Wouldn't want to impact my login/feed access. Did you have any issues? My renewal is in a few days and would like to bump it up.
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH

Michelle said:

I am considering this. Is this the best way to approach it? Wouldn't want to impact my login/feed access. Did you have any issues? My renewal is in a few days and would like to bump it up.
    I forget specifics but when it's time to renew you can change to any amount you want. I've been doing $5/ month honestly it's worth every penny :)
    brewseveltTravis
  • edited February 2016
    @Heff ; BaldMove, whether it sees itself as this or not, BaldMove is at its core a tech Startup of sorts and in 21st century startups there is a principle of leadership that has proven again and again to be the difference between successes and failures and that principle is that "Leaders Eat Last".

To illustrate, think of Rick in the Walking Dead. Rick uses the leaders eat last principle. He started out providing some clear value to the people around him which was enough to build him up a small following. Anytime the group found a resource he constantly puts the needs of the group as a whole first and is constantly trying to find ways to empower his top supporters because he knows that if hes good to his people it will show, his influence will expand and outsiders looking in will see that the people who follow him have a pretty sweet gig going on and will want to join.  He also does not devalue his supporters if for some reason they become unable to provide him direct value. If Daryl gets injured and cant hunt squirrels for 2 weeks he does not discriminate or treat him different during that period of time...instead he finds other ways that person can provide value to the group and accepts that as their contribution.

90% of your word of mouth referrals come from your top 10% of power users. If you are going to do something special for anyone, these are the people you want to make feel special and appreciated. The happier and more delighted you make them, the more they will go to bat for you pulling in friends, spreading the word , advocating for you, tweeting for you ect which brings in more new users which ultimately means more paying premium members.

I still think the idea is good, idk what @Heff is ranting on about. I agree this thread should close and ive learned my lesson regarding the types of ideas that are good to post around here.  I will admit that if there are technical reasons that would make this difficult or if A&J just dont see the forums as a important part of BaldMove as a company than in those cases it might not make sense.
  • mike_kmike_k Sunnyvale CA
    I'm quite amused with the @ChuckKelly Show... Please don't cancel it, if the drama and suspense continues, we might get a podcast out of this!
    ReniryanfosterChuckKelly
  • Given that most of their content is free and how well they engage the fans here and incorporate  feedback into almost every podcast it seems unfair to say they're ignoring anyone who doesn't provide direct value or they don't care about building the community. They've inspired a tremendous amount of goodwill from fans and run one of the friendliest communities I've ever seen.
    TravisFreddy
This discussion has been closed.