Bring Back your Favorite TV Show (Potential Spoilers for Past TV shows previous to 2015)

Ok. so you have access to a time machine and all the money in the world. You are allowed to bring back your favorite TV show after it finished/cancelled but there are some rules. (Beware of potential spoilers from past TV shows!)

1.  You can go to any time you want and as long as the actor/actress did not die they would return to your show. So as an example you could go back to 1997 and give Married with Children a 12th season and the entire cast would return. 
2. You cannot "undo" anything. That means you cannot remove an ending, character death, entire season, etc. Whatever has happened is official and in stone. 

With those two rules what do you choose? Do you try and give Breaking Bad another season given what happened at the end? Do you want to continue on with your favorite characters even if they had a great sendoff? Or do you try to revive something else that may not be as beloved but has more potential in more seasons? Do you go for something like Jericho or the Black Donnellys where maybe not the greatest show in the world but was cancelled too early? Do you go for Nostalgia and bring back a childhood favorite? What TV show do you choose and why? 
TravisMelonusk

Comments

• Voyagers! I loved that show. I'm sure it would be horrible now but it stoked my interest in counterfactuals.

Also, that Jon-Erik Hexum was dreamy (don't tell my wife).
    HatorianTravis
  • It's not my favorite tv show, but it is my favorite one season show of all time: Terriers. That show was great.
    HatorianTravisDaveyMac
  • FernNYC17FernNYC17 New York, NY
    Two words......Quantum Leap!
    HatorianTaraC73TravisDee
  • unreadunread Australia
    edited February 2016

I really adored Wonderfalls, which was a mid-2000s BryanFuller show about a girl who starts talking to inanimate objects. It was hilarious and clever and I would have loved more than 14 episodes of it. But then Bryan Fuller might not have gone on to do Hannibal and that would have been a great tragedy, so I don’t know.

Also I wish Veronica Mars had gotten a fourth season. The movie was not enough.

HatorianTravisDee
  • This will be controversial but...Star Trek: Enterprise.

Yes, it was a shitshow for a long time. But, once they were cancelled in their final season, they just must have said "fuck it" and made some great episodes about terrorism on Vulcan and Brent Spiner as Arik Soong and a cool mirror universe arc. It was quite good.

I considered doing the Vulcan terrorism arc as my commissioned podcast. I still might.
    HatorianFrakkin TTravis
  • Full House.

Hey, I win!
    HatorianDorkOfTheNinjasTravis
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Oh, where to begin? I could say Lost or Mad Men, but they ended at their perfect times. Maybe Northern Exposure, but without Joel, the show wasn't the same. Final answer: Friends. There is so much storytelling left beyond season 10!
    HatorianTravis
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    DrKen said:

This will be controversial but...Star Trek: Enterprise.

Yes, it was a shitshow for a long time. But, once they were cancelled in their final season, they just must have said "fuck it" and made some great episodes about terrorism on Vulcan and Brent Spiner as Arik Soong and a cool mirror universe arc. It was quite good.

I considered doing the Vulcan terrorism arc as my commissioned podcast. I still might.

You know, it really did come around a lot in season 4, and nobody wanted it to be good more than I did, but it was just too little too late. There was something off about the tone throughout the whole series that they just never fixed. I will say, though, that the Mirror Universe arc was amazing.
    DrKenTravis
  • WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    Lost. They can keep going. Hell, new cast, new story.
    The Office. Bring back Michael. Do it. 
    Would say 24, but that's coming back and I couldn't be more excited. 
    Can we consider the Attitude Era with WWF guys? I'll take a month of the old men raising hell. 
    Does Curb Your Enthusiasm count? Larry David is just sitting on my favorite comedy of all time. I'm not sure he knows what hes doing. 
    Anyways, Lost. Lost everytime. Man I miss that show. 
    MichelleHatorianTaraC73Travis
  • Office and Curb! good choices!
    WonderedObjectTravisMelonusk
  • MichelleMichelle California
    @WonderedObject, I would love to see them go further into the ancient civilizations aspect of the island. They never really did show us what the hieroglyphics in the temple were all about, only just enough to let us know that the history of the island had gone back thousands of years. I would love to see some exploration on those ancient peoples who protected the island throughout time. I would watch the hell out of that.
    WonderedObjectTravis
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    Two examples you gave are perfect... Breaking bad and Jericho. I would love to know what became of Jesse, and Jericho had SO much more story to tell.

I would bring back the Dallas revival that just got cancelled last winter. That was good stuff (piggy back this admission into thhe "guilty pleasure thread" lol!)

Curb is such a good show. Larry David needs to get back at it!

Lost could tell a thousand different stories from different points of view.

What about old school Saturday morning cartoons!?

Creature double feature (was this a local WB type channel show, or did everyone have it? Saturday's 12-4ish, two b-horror movies in a row!!)

Knight Rider. No explanation necessary.

Cheers. I loved it!

... Was I only supposed to choose one? Out of all of these I'll choose Saturday morning cartoons. I loved Saturday mornings :)
    HatorianTravisMike Snow
  • FernNYC17FernNYC17 New York, NY
    Good call on Saturday morning cartoons. Captain N the game master and dungeons and dragons right off the bat.
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    I don't even think I have a favorite. Actually yeah, I liked captain caveman! Looney tunes too!

Side note: looney tunes has new episodes on boomerang. It's really good!
    @Michelle ;
    Exactly. There is just so much story left to tell. Even one offs of those ancient civilizations would be great to see. I'm really curious about the secret map in the hatch. Would love to see how that map came to be. 

I wish Curb could go on forever. A "Young and The Restless" type of series haha. But sadly it looks like it's on Larry Davids time. Pretty much answers "eh" every time someone asks him about the next season. 
    TaraC73
  • I would love to see Dead Like Me come back, that show could have gone in so many different directions if they gave it a shot. Between that and Hannibal Bryan Fuller has a knack for making under appreciated shows that get cancelled before their time.
    HatorianGredalBeeTravisDancesWithWookies
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    @WonderedObject @Michelle I think we know about the map in the hatch: Kelvin told Desmond that it was something that Radzinsky started and he continued. I do think there is a lot of story to be told leading up to that, though. How did Radzinsky go from being the paranoid guy building the Swan in 1977 to being stuck down there when the Purge happened in 1992? That's a miniseries right there. 
    @Frakkin T
    That's what I mean. We know the gist of how it came about. I just would like to see it. Plus there was a ton of unexplained images on it. Those are the ones that I'd like to get some more backstory on. 
    Frakkin T
  • edited February 2016
    I can't believe nobody mentioned this so far - Firefly! Do I even need to say why? It's an immersive universe with tons of great characters and unique potential that fans all over the world miss sorely. It was painfully short!
    Also, I would undo Serenity; this is a movie, not technically part of the show, so I'm not cheating ;) This would bring back Wash and Shepherd Book. But, if it comes to that, it would still work without them I guess.
    TravisDaveyMacMike Snow
  • @DrKen
    Voyagers!
    Awesome choice. Loved that as a kid.

But I have to go with Firefly, even if we can't bring back Wash. :)
  • I would love to see what a third season of Twin Peaks would like in 1991 as opposed to 2017. But hey, as Homer says, beggars can't be choosey.

ryanfoster
  • DorkOfTheNinjasDorkOfTheNinjas Yorktown,VA
    edited February 2016
    I was about to ask how on God's green earth has no one said Firefly???
    Reni said:

I can't believe nobody mentioned this so far - Firefly! Do I even need to say why? It's an immersive universe with tons of great characters and unique potential that fans all over the world miss sorely. It was painfully short!
    Also, I would undo Serenity; this is a movie, not technically part of the show, so I'm not cheating ;) This would bring back Wash and Shepherd Book. But, if it comes to that, it would still work without them I guess.

ReniDaveyMac
  • FlashGordonFlashGordon Leeds, UK
    edited February 2016
    Gotta be Deadwood for me, probably one of the only shows that finished early that actually pissed me off, but there is the slowly more credible sounding rumor that a film could be on the cards,

Failing that @TaraC73  I 2nd LOST, that show had a lot of shit still to answer when it bowed out

Would love more Curb too, am I wrong in thinking Larry David has still got one in the pipeline ?
    TaraC73DaveyMac
  • GeorgeGeorge Astoria, New York
    I'm still holding out hope for another season of Curb. HBO pretty much lets Larry David work when he's ready...I can't see him not coming back and doing another season. Show is so great.
  • This is Bryan Fuller's dream.  Dead Like Me, Pushing Daisies, and Hannibal could all use another season.
    manhattnikDee
  • GeorgeGeorge Astoria, New York
    Random, and I'm not sure if this will make you guys question my taste in TV, but I was so sad to see How To Make It In America get canned after two seasons on HBO. I'd like to see some more of their stories play out.

I was a 20 something fresh out of college, unemployed and looking for meaning when that show aired, so I could really relate.
  • I'm going to say Dexter. I'd bring the show back and end it the way I always wanted it to end, with him being chased by the law and finally caught or dead. 
  • I would love to see Dead Like Me come back, that show could have gone in so many different directions if they gave it a shot. Between that and Hannibal Bryan Fuller has a knack for making under appreciated shows that get cancelled before their time.

Yeah, I'm with you on Dead Like Me. That was a really great show and that movie was such a disgrace. I would love to have had more of the show.

I'm still reeling a bit from losing Parks and Recreation and Justified so close together. I do feel like Parks said everything that they needed to say and there is such re-watchability in that show that I have made my peace. Justified though, they wrapped everything up really, really nicely but I still want more. I don't really know how it works, maybe it would be best suited for a movie or a focused short run plot but I need more Raylan Givens and more of that amazing Justified writing in my life.

Given a time machine, Freaks and Geeks season 2 feels like a no-brainer to me as well. Those characters were so great and there were so many possibilities. I get that it was kind of a perfect season, but there was so much that they could have done.

bizmarkiefader
  • manhattnikmanhattnik the big apple
    GredalBee said:

This is Bryan Fuller's dream.  Dead Like Me, Pushing Daisies, and Hannibal could all use another season.

I’d stretch the rules a bit to have his Munsters reboot Mockingbird Lane picked up for a season. Loved the pilot (Eddie Izzard as Grandpa!)

I was awfully fond of the Dark Shadows reboot with Ben Cross as Barnabas. Sorry it never made it to a second season. 

I’m probably the only person in the world who liked the soap opera from Hell, Point Pleasant. It didn’t even get a chance to run out its entire first season, let alone have a second. 
  • @Travis It would be cool to see a Justified spin off in a few years where Raylan is more of a background character or in some kind of mentor role and tell a brand new story. Have you seen Deadwood? I didn't start it until after Justified and Bullock feels like an old west proto-Raylan.
    Travis