Arrow (CW Wednesdays 20:00)

FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
tvrage.com/Arrow

First two seasons of this show are available on Netflix (US).

It's not the teenage soap opera that Smallville was. I PROMISE. It's a much better show than you would expect judging by the network it's on.

The series is based on the DC property Green Arrow. It's sort of a Batman rip-off - wealthy scion of an family owning a huge industrial conglomerate becomes a vigilante, has to conceal his identity, etc... Not being an avid Green Arrow reader, I can't comment on how faithfully they have translated the property to the screen, but it is very engaging.

Stephen Amell plays an excellent protagonist and the supporting cast seems to rise to the occasion, especially when playing opposite him.

One more thing: there are NO good podcasts about this show. The best one sounds like it's recorded on a phone in a china cabinet and the hosts sound like a BaldMove parody of a fan-boy-cast.

Comments

• edited November 2014
    I have been watching Arrow since it started and find it very good, just started The Flash too. Felicity is sooooooo awesome : ) Laurel on the other hand is ...... well I refer to her as "Lori Grimes" annoying on so many levels.
  • JohnnieDarkJohnnieDark South Florida
    Agree on both posts above Arrow is a Batman rip-off but its a Nolan Batman rip-off which is a good thing. Also agree on Laurel and hate the fact they are basically shoving her down our throats.
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    I love both shows, the are what they are, but if you aren't expecting BB or Madmen life changing TV I think they are fun. The Flash has been SO much fun and good special effects for a WB/CU budget.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I would love to catch up on Arrow and Flash. I don't know that we'll ever do a podcast about it since Jim is fairly anti-superhero, and he's kinda... required. :)
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    I love Arrow. It went from being a "Is this show really on the CW?" to a legitimately good show. Something feels lacking so far in Season 3, but I'm waiting it out to see if it comes together. It's the most fun show that I watch.
  • For some reason Captain America and The Flash were a couple of super heroes that I liked. Also, the Hulk. I think it's because I saw the live action shows when I was a kid.

Anyway, I'm interested in watching Arrow and The Flash. I've heard good things about both. Not promising anything but maybe there would be a podcast if I ever get the chance to watch them.
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    I like that like Batman, Green Arrow doesn't have super powers. Among other things, it keeps the scale reasonable. If you get a chance to check it out during this slowish fall I'd really like to hear your thoughts on a Bald Move TV cast.
  • Red724Red724 Irwin, PA
    After game of thrones, and the leftovers, arrow is my favorite show that is going.
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    Arrow is a roller coaster in terms of quality similar to Walking Dead. Second half of season 2 is great, as long as you're cool with the premise and the occasional CW-ness of it. My big complaint is how every character seems to be either be a superhero or villain, or on their way to becoming one, or they're in league with one. Season 1 you had some characters outside that world who I thought grounded things a little. On the other hand it becomes ludicrous after a while for those people to oblivious to what's in front of them. So I can get past it.

Season 3 has been kind of meh. The Cupid episode is far and away the worst one of the series so far. Not one but two all-time terrible characters are introduced, and it's hard to buy the set-up. The mid season finale seemed back on track though.
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited December 2014
    I finally started Arrow somewhat recently and I'm really glad that I did. We're about 8 or 9 episodes in and it's a lot of fun. I'm grateful for all of the people who said basically what has been said here ("I know it's on the CW, but seriously watch it.")

I'm planning on starting the Flash when I get up to the appropriate point in Arrow. They are weaved together a bit and that is how I should do it, yes? Also, the temperature seems to read that Flash is up to par with Arrow, right?

Does anyone else watch Det. Lance and get the feeling that their first call was to Peter Gallagher? I can't shake it for some reason. (not a complaint on him or anything, he's just fine)
    edited December 2014

Does anyone else watch Det. Lance and get the feeling that their first call was to Peter Gallagher? I can't shake it for some reason.

I didn't think of that, but I can kinda see it. I love Det. Lance. He can be a bit annoying in S1, but he is one of my favorite characters. I love that Paul Blackthorne (who is English) thinks he's in a James Cagney movie. His accent and hard-boiled detective speak ("mobbed up to the eyeballs") kill me.

• I love that Paul Blackthorne (who is English) thinks he's in a James Cagney movie. His accent and hard-boiled detective speak ("mobbed up to the eyeballs") kill me.

That's a great way to put it. I love it!
  • goreshdegoreshde Minneapolis
    The wire is my favorite tv show of all time but season 2 of arrow is my favorite season of tv of all time. It's just a roller coaster of incredible from start to finish.
    Season 1 I thought sucked (until the end) and season 3 is lacking the through line that made season 2 such a pleasure to watch.
    The op is correct. All the Arrow podcasts out there are terrible. It's almost criminal the mediocre Gotham gets a show while the flag ship of current DC tv is ignored. Anyways I am hoping that the later half of season three can amp it up again and Jim breaks his no super hero rule. Trust me (a guy on the Internet you will never know) once you start watching season 2 you will be hooked.
    I actually like season 1. It takes a while to find its footing, but episode 9, which so far has been when each season clicks into place, starts the uptick in quality. They also get a handle on the CW-mandated aspects and start to use them to the story's advantage, granted, some more successful than others, but even the ones that bother most people, do not bother me. I also like the more streamlined story and the gritty darkness of season 1.

Season 2 gleefully embraces its comic book roots and builds them up in an organic fashion so that once everything gets bonkers, it's absolutely believable. Same for the soap opera aspects. Superhero comic books are built on soap opera, after all. And those soap opera roots make for meaningful characters and relationships that hit you hard when things don't go so well.

I was down on Season 3 until The Flash crossover. I'm hoping that the producers were distracted by getting The Flash off the ground, and once the show returns in January, we will see all those disparate threads pulled together, and I have a feeling that the back half will be epic, perhaps even as operatic as Season 2.

I have grown fond of the Quiver podcast. They have some industry and writing experience, and they usually discuss the show more in depth than other podcasts, particularly with respect to the thematic aspects of the flashbacks and the visual nature (cinematography, camera work, editing, and color theory/palette) of storytelling. I'm always disappointed when podcasts ignore the importance of the latter when television is, after all, a visual medium. I also just listened to Green Justice for the last few podcasts, and I like them so far.

Arrow is the most fun show that I watch, but it's more than just fun. The action, choreography, and stunts are on par with feature films. The visual aesthetic is gorgeous. I am constantly amazed by what they achieve on a shoestring budget. There are fantastic, compelling female characters. The writing is not always great, but it is ambitious and the storytelling spreads across multiple timelines, so that counts for a lot. This isn't just an origin story for the Green Arrow, it's an origin story for many other heroes and villains. Some of the acting falls short, but really, it's only one actor who was miscast, and I hope that she will improve in S3. Everyone else is great. And I am deeply invested in the characters. I can't ask for more than that.
    John_Nada
  • Man, my wife and I are almost through season 2 and it's f'n great! We just finished episode 22 and I honestly can't wait to get to the tv portion of our day to hopefully wrap up the season. I liked season 1, I liked it a lot, but it has really, really hit a great stride in season 2. I'm glad that I've been warned about the show taking a step back in season 3 to calm my expectations moving forward, but I'm really loving the ride. So glad we decided to come back to it.
  • YOU watched 10 episodes of Arrow and 9 episodes of the Flash this weekend. Shut up.*

*To qualify, it's not quite as bad as it sounds. My wife was under the weather on Saturday and it was raining anyways so we had a tv marathon. The bulk of it took place there.
  • Dude, Quarrels is shaping up to be this year's big bad! Hell yeah! I kept waiting for him to launch a gun out of his sleeve.
  • I dunno about that premiere but Neil McDonough as the villain is perfect for this show. The Flash is going to be nuts this year though. Time travel and psychic gorillas everywhere. Arrow feels kinda boring in comparison, especially when Barry keeps popping up to remind you he could instantly solve almost all their problems if he wanted to.
    TravisCory
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited October 2015

I have the Flash premier DVR'd and haven't gotten to it yet, and I can see where aside from McDonough the Arrow premier may have been a little flat, but I still enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to better episodes. They had a lot to set up after the finale and I don't think I was expecting the premier to be amazing. Hopefully him and Diggle will get right pretty quick and hopefully the whole "Speedy is a danger junkie" thing will play out better that I fear it might (that definitely could get really obnoxious, really fast). I just can't see how a McDonough heavy season will end up disappointing, and they seem to be totally leaning right into his wheelhouse. It also helps that I had Justified on the brain all day before watching Arrow for some reason and out of nowhere there's Quarrels being a badass. The most pleasant of surprises. 

I'm pretty psyched to dive into some time travel and psychic gorillas over the weekend though. Hell yeah!

I was pleasantly surprised by the S4 premiere, but I had extremely low expectations after the awfulness of S3.  I didn't care for the flash-forward, especially after reading an interview with the producers who said they haven't decided who is going to die because they haven't finished planning out the season.  Ugh, then maybe don't do that particular flash-forward, because now I know that you are going to kill someone off, not because it is organic to the story or because that character's arc has come to a natural end, but because you need them to die to fit the plot.

I like Neil McDonough on this show, and I'm really looking forward to Constantine's arc.

Travis
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    edited October 2015
    @Travis This week's Flash was kinda boring too, they did one of those things where the team is split to start the season and spends the whole episode figuring out they should be working together again. The villain of the week is awful and looks like something from a free 3D movie making program from 10 years ago. It was probably just to remind us who everyone is and where everybody's at before they get on with the craziness. Some stuff happened that definitely is going to be undone through time travel and we barely saw any Zodd Grodd last season so he's got to be coming too. I'm looking forward to it.
    Travis
  • I didn't care for the flash-forward, especially after reading an interview with the producers who said they haven't decided who is going to die because they haven't finished planning out the season.  

Oliver: I need to be alone right now Flash. I couldn't save you semi-recurring 4 episode engagement bartender! I briefly conversed with you twice, and now you're dead. I have failed this city!
    pavlovsbell
This discussion has been closed.