Power & Da Vinci's Demons - Most Underrated Shows on TV?

I love these shows and to me they are right up there with the other great shows. For me Power has supplemented the void that Breaking Bad ending left. I can understand if you are not a creative type not being able to get into Da Vinci's Demons , but  why do you guys think these shows dont get the hype other shows do?

Is there someone who has watched a few episodes of either of these shows that can critique what is was about these shows you did not like?
Elisa

Comments

• I've seen Da Vinci's Demons, and I think the reason it didn't get the hype other shows do is because it's not a good show. I liked the first season well enough, but after that it got more and more ridiculous. I know the real life Da Vinci was a genius and I have tremendous recpect for him, but the show took it to another level. Inventing weapons is one thing, but the whole Da Vinci discovers Earth is not flat! Da Vinci discovers America! Da Vinci discovers electricity! was taking it several steps too far. The more prominent the fantasy element became, the less I liked it. It's fine for what it is, but it's such an over the top story; I just don't understand why they had to attach Da Vinci's name to this. Especially with the cheesy love story woven through it.
    I thought the overall acting was not very good, apart from the Da Vinci and Riario characters. I couldn't stand many others. The Pope's actor was horrible and Lucrezia has the face of an actual fish, though a fish could probably act better.
    I liked the music and the theme song is really genius (did you know it's a musical palindrome?). Some of the cinematography was also great. But these things are not good enough for me to really like a show. If the last season hadn't come out all at once, I probably couldn't even have finished it.
  • edited February 2016
    Power is in my top 5 at the moment. Binged two seasons in a week. It's a very good show. I think what might hurt it is the channel that it's on? I don't think many associate Starz with great TV. Maybe the excexutive producer being a rapper turns people away from giving it a chance. Not to mention, I barely see them advertise it. I had to find out the show existed due to the lead actor getting interviewed on ESPN.

So far, everyone that I've suggested Power to fell in love with it. Part of me wants to commission it.
    Elisa
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I bought Starz for the first time due to Black Sails and I found Power. It is so good and well done. I am in the middle of season 2 and I can't get enough. It's like a more urban version of the sopranos. (Story wise) Such a diverse brilliant cast and created by a women of color. I also watched ash v evil dead a guilty pleasure. I've heard survivors remorse is good and need to check out the white queen.
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I will add da Vinci code. I couldn't get into flesh and bone. Too many hate able characters.
  • Reni said:

I've seen Da Vinci's Demons, and I think the reason it didn't get the hype other shows do is because it's not a good show. I liked the first season well enough, but after that it got more and more ridiculous. I know the real life Da Vinci was a genius and I have tremendous recpect for him, but the show took it to another level. Inventing weapons is one thing, but the whole Da Vinci discovers Earth is not flat! Da Vinci discovers America! Da Vinci discovers electricity! was taking it several steps too far. The more prominent the fantasy element became, the less I liked it. It's fine for what it is, but it's such an over the top story; I just don't understand why they had to attach Da Vinci's name to this. Especially with the cheesy love story woven through it.
    I thought the overall acting was not very good, apart from the Da Vinci and Riario characters. I couldn't stand many others. The Pope's actor was horrible and Lucrezia has the face of an actual fish, though a fish could probably act better.
    I liked the music and the theme song is really genius (did you know it's a musical palindrome?). Some of the cinematography was also great. But these things are not good enough for me to really like a show. If the last season hadn't come out all at once, I probably couldn't even have finished it.

Thinking about it you are prob right across the board on Da Vinci ...season 1 is what im in love with, idt i have even finished s2 yet prob bc it did not hook me the same way s2 did.
    Elisa
  • @ChuckKelly Yeah, season one was really good, but the others have ruined the whole experience for me. It could have been a great show, but they just had to put in Dracula and talking robot heads and whatnot. I don't know if they switched writers or if this was the plan all along. I don't blame Starz, as I do love Black Sails a lot and I rewatched Spartacus a number of times. I liked Outlander but then decided to read the books, which started going really downhill around book 3-4 and I couldn't finish 5, so that turned me off from ever tuning back into the show :\
    I've heard good things about Power and also Flesh And Bone. There are too many other shows running right now, but I'll probably check them out in the summer when nothing's on.
    Elisa
This discussion has been closed.